Released solely in Japan, Super Mario Bros. Special was intended to improve upon the original by making it significantly more difficult.
New levels, new enemies, a flick-screen system instead of scrolling levels.
Hudson Soft made away with most of the original.
- Hachisuke - Resembles the bee from the Hudson logo. If Mario picks it up, he will be awarded 8,000 points.
- Hammer - The same power-up from Donkey Kong. It even behaves similarly.
- Clock - Adds one hundred seconds to the clock.
- Wing - Much like the P-wing from Super Mario Bros. 3
- Lucky Star - Found only in World 4-1. If Mario collects it, all enemies on the screen will be killed.