Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Oui Vai, Super Mari Galaxy 2 gets a perfect score

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By me3639

I'm not a Wii, or Nintendo hater and feel Mario is one of the most important characters and franchises in gaming history, but come on a perfect score? i dont want to bring attention to the review itself, but can you reward a retread for adding new levels opposite something that never has been done with a higher review score? As an example, as i watched the QL for RDR it made me want to call off work and go get that game pronto, as opposed to the new Mario, as i watched the review, i was like ok, looks good and fun.
    Now before all the hate begins, think about this:
    What game deserves more recognition something with excellent sound, level design, originality, game play and story, or something with the same characters, sound and graphics, and of course same story for the past 20 years?

Im just always baffled at the continued love for how Nintendo gets a pass for re treading the same product over and over and over......

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

It's "oy vey", and prepare to get flamed for treating Grand Theft Horse as "original" while SMG2 as "rehash".

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

Is originality all what it is cracked up to be?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Meowayne said:
    " It's "oy vey". "
    Oui Vai is the french version... >_>
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I agree somewhat.. I guess it's the fact that Nintendo seems to do the retread thing really well.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Is this about the IGN review of the game?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

i'm in total agreement here.  with both posts

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @me3639 said:
    " I'm not a Wii, or Nintendo hater and feel Mario is one of the most important characters and franchises in gaming history, but come on a perfect score? i dont want to bring attention to the review itself, but can you reward a retread for adding new levels opposite something that never has been done with a higher review score? As an example, as i watched the QL for RDR it made me want to call off work and go get that game pronto, as opposed to the new Mario, as i watched the review, i was like ok, looks good and fun. Now before all the hate begins, think about this: What game deserves more recognition something with excellent sound, level design, originality, game play and story, or something with the same characters, sound and graphics, and of course same story for the past 20 years?  Im just always baffled at the continued love for how Nintendo gets a pass for re treading the same product over and over and over...... "
    I gotta second this. How can a franchise that has barely changed in 20 years beat out RDR. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Is this about the IGN review of the game? "
    Yep. This is what happens when people start comparing scores... :/
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

What are you talking about? The fact that they spat out new and challenging and original ideas and concepts and things to do literally every 5 minutes was one of the major praises of SMG and now even more, SMG2. Stop talking nonsense. 

If you are even remotely interested in platforming games, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a must-buy and the reviewer couldn't find any flaws in the game. How can you be pissed that it got a higher score than your new favorite explosions-game?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond

It's not just Nintendo that gets ridiculous scores from time to time.  I wouldn't put this blame on SMG2 or even IGN.  It's a fault of 'scoring' games altogether.  That fault also lies with gamers for making more out of scores than they should.  When you really think about it, people are idiots for caring about game scores at all.

These are completely arbitrary numbers, how can they possible equate to value.  Sites only use them because it helps to get them hits, but it's really a really weak tactic in terms of journalistic integrity.

@Meowayne said:

If you are even remotely interested in platforming games, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a must-buy and the reviewer couldn't find any flaws in the game. How can you be pissed that it got a higher score than your new favorite explosions-game?
    And it's hyperbole like this that keeps the problem going.  But you can't expect everyone to be level headed.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

There is no such thing as a perfect score

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By masternater27
    @me3639 said:
    " I'm not a Wii, or Nintendo hater and feel Mario is one of the most important characters and franchises in gaming history, but come on a perfect score? i dont want to bring attention to the review itself, but can you reward a retread for adding new levels opposite something that never has been done with a higher review score? As an example, as i watched the QL for RDR it made me want to call off work and go get that game pronto, as opposed to the new Mario, as i watched the review, i was like ok, looks good and fun. Now before all the hate begins, think about this: What game deserves more recognition something with excellent sound, level design, originality, game play and story, or something with the same characters, sound and graphics, and of course same story for the past 20 years?  Im just always baffled at the continued love for how Nintendo gets a pass for re treading the same product over and over and over...... "
    Super Mario Galaxy has the same sound and graphics as 20 years ago Mario, what?  Red Dead Redemption is something that has never been done before, what?  The IGN reviewer found SMG to be a 10/10 for what it is, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better game than Red Dead Redemption, it just happens to be the best Wii platformer possible in the reviewer's mind.  At least that's how I take it.  Comparing RDR to SMG2 is apples to oranges it makes no sense to do.  How can you compare a game that focuses heavily on story to a game that doesn't even make an attempt at having a story and instead focuses on challenging the player to complete levels?  You can't.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By KingBroly

GTA4 didn't deserve a 10/10, neither did MGS4.  If you think those were deserved, you have no say here.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee
    Frankly...I think IGN's SMG2 review was kinda...bad... 

God I hope people get the reference. O.O
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By tebbit
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Frankly...I think IGN's SMG2 review was kinda...bad...   God I hope people get the reference. O.O "
    Too soon... 

wait, not it's not! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWW! 

Anyway, If IGN says SMG2 is awesome, i'm not gonna argue with them, because it's pretty much in line with 90% of the other reviews out there. And SMG1 being one of my most favourite games of all time only bias's me in a good way.
    Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ratcabbage

Why do you guys do this to yourselves? Go find a stuffed animal to hug until all of your worries and concerns just slip away.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By ColinWright

OMG, this game I haven't I played does not deserve a better score than this other game I haven't played from a completely different genre! HOW DARE THEY?!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Emilio
    @me3639 said:
    "   What game deserves more recognition something with excellent sound, level design, originality, game play and story, or something with the same characters, sound and graphics,..."
    For a second there, I thought you were first talking about Super Mario Galaxy 2...
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By simian
    @wh4tshisface said:
    " OMG, this game I haven't I played does not deserve a better score than this other game I haven't played from a completely different genre! HOW DARE THEY?! "
    Unbelievable! How dare they give a perfect score to *game_name* when I have a mug that says "World's Best Husband!" so that obviously means I'm better!
    That being said SMG was the only game in the Mario series that I didn't bother to finish and, seeing that I made it through Mario Sunshine, that says a lot.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well it could mean that it's a really good game.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

Yeah but dude, cloud suit.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Willy105

I don't think any game deserves a perfect score, and from GTA4 and MGS4, it proves it.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By OneManX

Well it got a 5/5 from Giant Bomb... so RAGE? 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fallen189

Nobody said that because it got the highest score possible, it's a "perfect game". Stop inferring things you want to be true.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

I haven't played game x but score y doesn't match my preconceptions, internet rage.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
    @simian said:
    " @wh4tshisface said:
    " OMG, this game I haven't I played does not deserve a better score than this other game I haven't played from a completely different genre! HOW DARE THEY?! "
    Unbelievable! How dare they give a perfect score to *game_name* when I have a mug that says "World's Best Husband!" so that obviously means I'm better! That being said SMG was the only game in the Mario series that I didn't bother to finish and, seeing that I made it through Mario Sunshine, that says a lot. "
    That says you got through that bullshit beach cleaning level.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By yakov456
    @me3639 said:
    I try not to get involved in these debates, but after reading this post it expresses my sentiments exactly. Ride the nostalgia money train, you have all been Nintendoed.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @OneManX said:
    " Well it got a 5/5 from Giant Bomb... so RAGE?  "
    HOW DARE THIS GAME BE AWESOME.  I WILL GO CRY INTO THE LAP OF A FELLOW FRAT BRO.  THAT WILL TEACH NINTENDO TO DO SHIT I DISAPPROVE OF.
    s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By s10129107

a game has to be reviewed based upon its own ambitions.  smg2 and rdr set out to do completely different things.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Turambar

And yet another reason why reviews shouldn't have scores: because it causes bullshit kneejerk reactions such as the OP.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " There is no such thing as a perfect score "
    This.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By agentboolen
    @me3639:  Sorry that a game that has invisible horses doens't get a perfect score!!!  Also what the hell do you have against plumbers?!?!  There job is just as exciting as cowboys!!!!
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dalai
    @me3639 said:
    " What game deserves more recognition something with excellent sound, level design, originality, game play and story, or something with the same characters, sound and graphics, and of course same story for the past 20 years?  Im just always baffled at the continued love for how Nintendo gets a pass for re treading the same product over and over and over...... "
    The game that is simply better. I think you're trying to pigeonhole Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a rehash when we haven't played it yet to decipher that for ourselves. Yeah they did recycle a few things, but weren't those things already great to begin with? Why fix it if it ain't broken? 

And I wanna know why people think Mario games need some rich, detailed story. Seriously, it's not needed in a game almost exclusively built on gameplay and level design. I could care less how Peach was kidnapped, it just happens. Save her, grab some stars, and fuck up Bowser... that's all I need.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chokobo

This just sounds to me like a "The game I love didn't get as high of a score as a game that I have a predisposition towards not liking" type of complaint.

Both are good games.  4 stars isn't bad.  Besides, it's the reviewer's opinion and you probably should just take it with a grain of salt anyways.  No need to start outraged forum threads about it.

MadThad0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MadThad0890

IIT: people  complaining about someone else's OPINION  on a game that they havent played themselves yet.  look the game is great, everything Nintendo puts out is TOP TIER stuff. DEAL WITH IT!  what not enough SHOOTIN AND KILLIN for you?  

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By OneManX

No one wants to be wrong...

No one wants to think the game they paid 60 bucks for was a bad move, especially comparing it to Mario... which is only $50.

RDR could of gotten a 9.9 and SMG2 still got a 10... people would still rage over it...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By WickedCestus
    @KingBroly said:
    " GTA4 didn't deserve a 10/10, neither did MGS4.  If you think those were deserved, you have no say here. "
    Nobody can speak unless they agree with me!!!
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Super Mario Galaxies is awesome! 
    Red Dead Redemption is awesome! 
    GTAIV was awesome! 
    MGS4 was awesome! 

"Hey, maybe we all win! No? Well then fuck you and your opinions, internet!" - What goes through my head in threads like these.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Supermarius
    @masternater27 said:
    " @me3639 said:
    Super Mario Galaxy has the same sound and graphics as 20 years ago Mario, what?  Red Dead Redemption is something that has never been done before, what?  The IGN reviewer found SMG to be a 10/10 for what it is, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better game than Red Dead Redemption, it just happens to be the best Wii platformer possible in the reviewer's mind.  At least that's how I take it.  Comparing RDR to SMG2 is apples to oranges it makes no sense to do.  How can you compare a game that focuses heavily on story to a game that doesn't even make an attempt at having a story and instead focuses on challenging the player to complete levels?  You can't. "
    I think you can pretty easily have a scenario where you compare these two games. If you have a 360 and Wii then you may have had to decide which to get first. This happened to me and i decided to get SMG2 because I have played tons of open world games this generation and top-notch nintendo platformers are far and few between. Further affecting my decision was that SMG was 10 dollars cheaper and i really want to get RDR used so that i don't give any money to Rockstar. They manipulated their day 1 metacritic scores by withholding review copies from critical game sites, including Giantbomb. I dont like like that.
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By kenzo287

you dumbasses really don't get it? scores don't fuckin' matter. which ones better: mario galaxy 2 or red dead? who cares? they're both high quality games and anyone who calls themselves a gamer will want to own both. pointless thread is pointless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.