Jeff Gerstmann inspired me to make a level database.

#1 Edited by Anuiran (19 posts) -

I may not be an active forum poster but I have been a huge find of Giant Bomb for years. Endurance Run please?

Anyway watching the Mario Maker videos and podcasts where Jeff has discussed the lack of filters and ability to find the Mario Maker level you want got me thinking I should do something about it. So me and a friend created this.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/

There is a wide range of filters to find the exact level you want. An example of the type things you can find is a list of all submitted Musical Levels.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/?name=&username=&categories%5B%5D=3

You can currently submit levels by either using the Miiverse post URL or manually entering all the data yourself. I highly recommend using the Miiverse post URL as it will do the majority of the work for you. Plus it will add your level to your very own Creator Page.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/creators/kopurista

Creator Pages are an early feature designed to quickly and easily display all your created levels. Any level you upload to the website using the Miiverse post URL will automatically be added to your creator page.

We also plan on adding a "Worlds" section similar to playlists in the neat future. Create a series of levels that all follow a theme? Rebuild all the World 1 levels from Super Mario Bros? Just want to share a mix of awesome levels from other users? Add them to a World and share them with the world!

I wish I would have made this website earlier but I literally decided to do it the day Mario Maker came out. Although it's not the ideal solution @jeff probably wanted. I thought I would share it here since I got the idea from him.

#2 Posted by InsidiousTuna (577 posts) -

This is dope. Nice work!

#3 Posted by Marokai (3711 posts) -

@anuiran said:

I may not be an active forum poster but I have been a huge find of Giant Bomb for years. Endurance Run please?

You. I like you.

#4 Posted by Saik0u (214 posts) -

Great job!

#5 Posted by myketuna (1959 posts) -

I really like your hub page. Has the filters that the game needs to help you find the levels you want. I've got it bookmarked.

#6 Posted by ghost_cat (2256 posts) -

Hey Nintendo, HEEYYY! You see this right here? This is what we call "filters".

#7 Posted by Nentisys (956 posts) -

Nice!

#8 Posted by Sdoots (503 posts) -

This rules. You rule.

#9 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5989 posts) -

You're pretty good!

#10 Posted by csl316 (14959 posts) -

Coolness.

#11 Posted by Anuiran (19 posts) -

You can now edit course descriptions and tags on MarioMakerHub by confirming your Miiverse account! All your levels added to the website will be found under the "My Levels" section of your dashboard.

We have also almost hit 1,000 levels on the website - http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels

We also have more planned upcoming features. Note not all for these features may be implemented as some are merely ideas we are discussing.

• Add a spoiler section to your level allowing you to list tips or hidden secrets.
  • Add YouTube videos to your level page and more than one image.
  • Follow a creator and be notified when they upload new levels.
  • Creator sorting (Find famous game developers or personalities that created levels)
  • Worlds Section - Playlists for levels. Allowing you to share a group of levels following a theme you created or just any list of levels really.
  • Report button for deleted levels or inappropriate content.

Please submit ideas and feedback!

#12 Posted by Jurck (51 posts) -

This looks very well put together. Thanks for your hard work!

#13 Edited by Bollard (8164 posts) -

Are the screenshots user uploaded? I didn't know the WiiU had a screenshot feature.

Site is really cool though, still wish I had Mario Maker.

EDIT: You probably want some sort of rating system to make sure better levels float to the top of relevant searches?

#14 Posted by Anuiran (19 posts) -

Yeah a rating system is in the works. Also if you upload a level with the Miiverse post ID then the image is auto generated.

@bollard said:

Are the screenshots user uploaded? I didn't know the WiiU had a screenshot feature.

EDIT: You probably want some sort of rating system to make sure better levels float to the top of relevant searches?

#15 Posted by UitDeToekomst (799 posts) -

That's pretty impressive. The only thing Jeff Gerstmann ever inspired me to do was buy "performance sheets". It didn't work out so great.

#16 Posted by The_Grindilow (531 posts) -

Awesome!

#17 Posted by Bollard (8164 posts) -

@anuiran said:

Yeah a rating system is in the works. Also if you upload a level with the Miiverse post ID then the image is auto generated.

@bollard said:

I'm curious, how is the image generated? Is there actually some official Nintendo API?

#18 Posted by Anuiran (19 posts) -

@bollard said:

I'm curious, how is the image generated? Is there actually some official Nintendo API?

They all get posted to your Miiverse profile. No API unfortunately though.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkeI3-d-w

#19 Posted by Bollard (8164 posts) -
#20 Posted by TheRikerLean (11 posts) -

This is awesome! Thanks for your brilliant work!

#21 Posted by Driadon (3253 posts) -

Holy crap, this is beautiful!

#22 Edited by Anuiran (19 posts) -

Couple updates:

You can now rate levels! We hope people actively rate levels they liked as it would make the database search much more useful.

We also added way more categories like Metroidvania and Speedrun for finding levels. Are there any categories missing that people would want?

#23 Edited by Junkboy (652 posts) -

This is just awesome! Thank you for your hard work.

Rating should really help folks find what they're looking for.

#24 Posted by Anuiran (19 posts) -

It will take a while to get people rating levels though. So that feature is not immediately useful.

@junkboy0 said:

This is just awesome! Thank you for your hard work.

Rating should really help folks find what they're looking for.

#25 Posted by hellerphant (311 posts) -

Duder, this is seriously awesome! A great tool and is exactly what I've been looking for. As I create levels I'll make sure to use this tool too!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.