Some Youtube Guy Is Struggling With Giant Bomb's 3rd Mario Maker Level

#1 Edited by EthanielRain (1564 posts) -

A wanna-be pro streamer named "Patrick Klepek" came across The Giant Bomb Level 3 - Doable! and has been trying to beat it for the past three days. There seemed to be some pretty brutal sections when the community made it, as it's the first time Jeff & Dan weren't able to finish a level by the end of the stream: Giant Bomb Makes Mario - Part 3

They had to make some concessions (for the better, I think...fair mushrooms!) to finish it in the follow-up stream: Giant Bomb Makes Mario - Part 4

Patrick had some struggles with the level for the first two days, but overall seemed to be doing ok. Sometimes even seeming to have fun! :D

Youtuber Day 1

Youtuber Day 2

But I personally don't really care about him having fun. I like to watch in the hopes that the level will break him, in both mind and spirit. That process starts partway through the third day (~22:12 seconds in) and ramps up to everybody's favorite: the full-on ragequit.

He vowed to beat the level over this weekend, so there may be more videos up by the time you read this. I'm sure he will beat it...not so sure that he won't start day drinking again before he does.

#3 Edited by Blackout62 (2190 posts) -

I swear someday this joke of just calling Patrick some guy on Youtube is going to get away from us and we'll all have to deal with the encounter with someone who doesn't even know he worked at Giantbomb let alone that he broke West/Zampella-gate. Dan Ryckert has even already done the first part of that and they were in the same room during 2014 GOTY deliberations.

#4 Posted by Shindig (4914 posts) -

Hey, if Gawker doesn't win that appeal, that's all he'll be.

#5 Posted by dudeglove (13737 posts) -

@shindig said:

Hey, if Gawker doesn't win that appeal, that's all he'll be.

We don't really know if Gawker/Denton sold itself away to Renova/Vekselberg to offset any damages caused by Gawker's multiple lawsuits, but the fact that - in spite of all the screaming press around it - there's been next to no layoffs or (if you buy in to the histrionics written about all this) Gawker Inc staff putting up furniture on craigslist, it's kinda likely that they totally did just that. Gawker ain't going nowhere.

#6 Posted by Shindig (4914 posts) -

Well, good. Patrick screaming into a mic like he's jacksepticeye or something would be too much to bear.

#7 Posted by forteexe21 (2026 posts) -

Even if Gawker sells Kotaku, itll have a buyer immediately, not that Patrick will have trouble finding other sites looking for a journalist. But enough about that. Dan hasnt beaten this level so Patrick is a better player than him.

#8 Edited by Mirado (2557 posts) -

I'm surprised Patrick is having as much trouble as he is; he seems to handle the parts that gave Jeff fits without much trouble, and instead he flubs the execution of random elements that I'd figure he could nail in his sleep.

@blackout62 said:

I swear someday this joke of just calling Patrick some guy on Youtube is going to get away from us and we'll all have to deal with the encounter with someone who doesn't even know he worked at Giantbomb let alone that he broke West/Zampella-gate. Dan Ryckert has even already done the first part of that and they were in the same room during 2014 GOTY deliberations.

I've given up using the "Brad is leaving Giant Bomb" routine for exactly this reason; it's fun when one person doesn't get it, but just a reminder of how long you've been around when no one gets it at all.

Hell, I'd imagine there's a significant amount of people who'd have no idea what you'd mean by Tested, Whiskey Media, or the myriad of people who used to work there in the past.

#9 Posted by blueneurosis (292 posts) -

Every once in a while in his attempts, he forgets the key and suddenly it becomes suspenseful to see if he makes it to the doors, only to have his spirit break.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#10 Posted by alwaysbebombing (2702 posts) -

Youtube is the new one-man-show

#11 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (317 posts) -
#12 Posted by Daveydave (285 posts) -

Is gawker selling kotaku?

#13 Edited by regularassmilk (1710 posts) -

@shindig: That would be a bummer for Kotaku if that happened. I bet it won't? Kotaku is such a big site it would probably get sold. With a little luck, it would be sold to a parent company who knew to leave it alone.

Patrick is a beloved and talented man. Worst case scenario, he would go to PR (or something) and disappear from our view (save for Twitter), but he would have no problem setting up camp somewhere else.

Shit, not to be selfish, but I'd love to see him back here. Or at least visible in podcast form again. I don't end up on YouTube a lot, but I listen to podcasts everyday at work and miss ol' Patty.

#14 Posted by Darkaileron (186 posts) -

Klepek quickly proved that the goomba pit is #doable.

#15 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (317 posts) -
#16 Posted by notnert427 (2207 posts) -

Well, Patrick finally did it. The last stream was filled with hilarity, though. He got shot in the back with a bomb after clearing out the wall, he forgot the key twice, the last "left, but not too left" spike got him, and he got killed by raining koopa randomness. Overall, the level proved sufficiently difficult and fun thanks to random elements, so good job chat. The koopas with bomb/mushroom launchers on their heads was my favorite part. Man, that section was so good. I still think the goomba pit would have been better served with only one mushroom or a corresponding goomba launcher on the other side, but Jeff/Dan had their time constraints. This was still my favorite GB level. Both the upload stream and Patrick's streams were a ton of fun.

#17 Posted by regularassmilk (1710 posts) -

@n00bs7ay3r: Shit yes! Great. I was slumming it listening to Kotaku Splitscreen, which is a podcast I like less and less and less. Excited to hear from Patrick though.

I actually strongly dislike most gaming podcasts that aren't Bomb-related. I tried Dude Soup and didn't like it, and I don't like 90% of Polygon's podcasting efforts. The Game Informer show is OK. I like The Lobby as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.