Follow

Super Mario Maker

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 11, 2015

This Nintendo Wii U game lets players make their own levels based on four different Super Mario Bros. games, with a deep level of customization and built-in level sharing systems to let other players enjoy their work.

This seems really cool

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm watching the Nintendo Treehouse stream on this and I must say I am impressed. The levels they made in such a short amount of time looked like a ton of fun to play. Also, the tools given are streamlined and quick to pick up. This came out of left field for me and I must say I am stoked to get this game when its released.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I'm so psyched for this. This is Nintendo capitalizing on nostalgia in the best way possible.

"Hey, kid, your childhood dream of making dumb Mario levels? We got you covered."

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It actually looks really fun. If you can share and download levels online I'll definitely pick this up.

Also, I really hope at some point they expand upon this and give you assets from other Mario games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I'm only interested if you can get super weird with gravity and items. I essentially want Garry's Mod, but Mario.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I remember one of the Mario clones on TI83+ having a level editor. I played it a lot in high school.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: I know, that would be incredible. Let's hope Nintendo thinks of that when they release this. It's not out until 2015 so they still have plenty of time.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't really see why people have gotten so excited about. Isn't Little Big Planet basically the same thing but with more options?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

@hunkulese: Mario Maker will play like Mario and not like LittleBigPlanet, so that's a plus. LittleBigPlanet 3 will probably do the job until Mario Maker hits though.

When Mario Maker does arrive, it will be 2015. What you've seen so far is the current state of the game. We don't know what kind of options will be added between now and release.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hunkulese: Mario Maker will play like Mario and not like LittleBigPlanet, so that's a plus. LittleBigPlanet 3 will probably do the job until Mario Maker hits though.

When Mario Maker does arrive, it will be 2015. What you've seen so far is the current state of the game. We don't know what kind of options will be added between now and release.

Yeah, what they showed at E3 was obviously very early. More of a working concept rather than anything close to the full package.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Steadying

I was hoping it would let you create 3D levels too, but I guess that's probably asking way too much. :P

This still seems really cool.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not at all interested in it because I hate the physics of the original SMB. Once they get to Mario Maker World I'll be all for it.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it works the way that it should and the online sharing stuff is up to par, it is honestly a dream come true and an excellent reason to purchase a Wii U.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm still confused why this is getting the attention it's gotten. It's just a Mario level editor. What's so exciting about that?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Im more intested in the guy who actually had created a similar MOD that was taken down by Nintendo a few years ago. Its so similar the interface is the exact same. There is nothing special about this except the continued genius of Nintendo marketing and the delusion of their fans who will buy this mod, just like their regular mods at full price.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this going to be a $65 game or a reasonably priced downloadable game?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Is this going to be a $65 game or a reasonably priced downloadable game?

They haven't announced the release plans for it. Again, the game is far from finished.

I'm still confused why this is getting the attention it's gotten. It's just a Mario level editor. What's so exciting about that?

It's basically LittleBigPlanet, Mario-style.

@me3639 said:

Im more intested in the guy who actually had created a similar MOD that was taken down by Nintendo a few years ago. Its so similar the interface is the exact same. There is nothing special about this except the continued genius of Nintendo marketing and the delusion of their fans who will buy this mod, just like their regular mods at full price.

Well, one, you failed to provide a link to information on this mod, so it's hard to tell if you're blowing smoke or not. Particularly alleging that the UI of this unfinished product is the exact same. Two, what Nintendo is making isn't a mod. Three, you sound hilariously bitter.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

It's basically LittleBigPlanet, Mario-style.

I guess this means I should play LittleBigPlanet, then.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

This does look really cool. I saw some of that footage on the Treehouse stream and there were some cool custom levels, like one where you are forced to go through a slim tunnel to hit a Koopa shell and have it bounce off a block to have it hit a horde of Hammer Bros, which would kill you if you went straight to them. Then you need to stop the shell or else some bricks that you need to jump to the next platform will be destroyed. I'm digging the game's potential, but I'm hoping for Super Mario Bros 3 and World skins for the package.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEAR OF THE THREAD NECRO! I'm SUPER psyched about this. This is probably laughable to those hardcore dudes who've been making mario levels in editors for years but this is now made by NintenDOES and with such an easy to use editor. This is something we have wanted since 1985 for fucks sake. ARE YOU NOT HYPED? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Who needs Xbox anyways? What do they got, DX12? THAT'S THE NAME OF ANY KIND OF MARIO GAME, SON! SUPER MARIO DX 12!

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elwood

I just saw some footage from IGN I did not realise there was a giant human Hand icon when you put things down and create the levels (it shows up on the Tv but not the Gamepad, it looks kinda weird at first :) sounds like you can change it though, but can it be deactivated completely? Guess we will find out soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elwood said:

I just saw some footage from IGN I did not realise there was a giant human Hand icon when you put things down and create the levels (it shows up on the Tv but not the Gamepad, it looks kinda weird at first :) sounds like you can change it though, but can it be deactivated completely? Guess we will find out soon.

The closest you can get to deactivating it is switching it to a small hand that takes up barely any space.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh that's okay also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.