Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Did you like Mario Odyssey?

• 51 results
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I don’t for some reason and I want to know why. I’m thinking it’s just cause I don’t particularly care for 3D platformers, but I beat the original banjo kazooie recently as well as paychonauts and sunshine. I liked them. Why isn’t this clicking? Anyone else not particularly enjoy this game? Maybe it’s the live design? Thanks!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mems1224

I thought it was fairly mediocre. I don't like 3d platforming collect-a-thons and prefer platformers that have more focused and challenging levels. I know Odyssey had that but they bury that behind a lot of mindless collecting.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed it but I do prefer the more linear Mario games. Some of the moons just arent fun and have nothing to do with platforming either so the incentive for me to get them all just isnt there.

I also played through all 3 Banjo games relatively recently (last year) and those games were more about collecting shit and doing weird mini-games than actual platforming so maybe that's your thing?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played through it once at release and (mostly) enjoyed the journey, but haven’t touched the game since. Don’t have any desire to go collect the moons, would’ve rather had a more linear game as a whole.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’m about halfway through it after picking up a Switch a month ago and it’s not really doing much for me. I’ve never played a 3D Mario game before this and I’m not really seeing the appeal. It seems like a whole game made just of the side collectables you’d get in any open world game?

I’m not one to hate on what other people like. It’s just not for me

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here' my backstory. The only mario game i owned was Warioland for the Gameboy Still love that game think it's a great platformer. I recently bought a switch with Mario Odyssey packed in. The game was fun but all the praise and the rewards feel miss matched. The platforming is horrendous if you never played a mario game like i did. The game looks like it's made in unity with some assets taken from set store. Although collecting moons is fun for the first 3 hours, it get's super tedious IMO after 10. I got to the last level faced bowser once failed and never turned that game on again. it was a slog for me to play that game longer then a hour. Went in pretty hype for this, came out with a sour taste in my mouth, and the hope for a new Warioland. Let's bring back WarioLand or at least something Wario Related

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nutter

Yes. Yes I do.

I bounce off a lot of Nintendo stuff, but I’ve spent a bunch of time in Odyssey.

It’s one of the four Mario games I’ve easily spent double-digit hours with:

Super Mario Brothers 2

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Odyssey

Odyssey is simple and fun. The controls are tight, the levels that hit REALLY hit (others, take them or leave them). I really got into the collectathon aspect, more the coins than moons. Moons are fine and all, but purple coins net you some alright costumes.

I’m partial to yellow and purple suit + cowboy hat Mario...

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was fine. I had a pretty good time while playing it but turned it off after finishing the main game and will most likely never play it again. The fact that the moons was so plentiful and easy lessened the satisfaction of getting them. I can't help but feel like most Nintendo games are hugely overrated among reviewers.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sorry some of you didn't enjoy it. I loved it! #2 game of the year. I've been missing exploration from my Mario games and this was a return to form. This is what I wrote in my GotY list:

This game is a master class at crafting the collect-athon. The game begins, it's an all you can eat smorgasbord of Power Moons. Everywhere you go you can't help but run into Moons. At this stage you're free to collect as many as you can or keep keep moving on to the next kingdom. Beat each kingdom's boss or not, up to you.

Once you gain the ability to freely travel between kingdoms, you get a whole new batch of Moons to collect! Reason to return to old kingdoms if you cleared them or beat those bosses if you didn't and collect moons until you're ready to move on.

Later in the game moons start to become scarce. But Odyssey does its best to keep you away from the internet guides and keep you in game. If the Uncle Amiibo map locations aren't enough, Talkatoo can tell you the name of the Moon to give you more clues.

Also, coins are more meaningful then they have ever been in a Mario game.

Tip: The best costume is "random"

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I love'd it! It was my favorite game of 2017 as I enjoyed the simplicity of exploring the levels in a sandbox format as well as those post game challenges! Sorry for some of you that didn't like it and I understand your complaints.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

I thought it was good, but not one of my favorite games of last year. Galaxy 1 is still my favorite Mario game.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By madladunit

I didn’t enjoy it much, felt like a slog.

Until

I beat it then went back to every level and harvested moons. I only grabbed the moons I wanted to, or only pulled at the strings in the level design that I wanted to.

I had a blast for about 10 hours playing that way.

I certainly didn’t love the game, but for reasons I can’t fully explain I found going back through the levels for easy moons very fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it in the middle of playing it. I have had zero desire to go back after hitting credits.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

Here' my backstory. The only mario game i owned was Warioland for the Gameboy Still love that game think it's a great platformer. I recently bought a switch with Mario Odyssey packed in. The game was fun but all the praise and the rewards feel miss matched. The platforming is horrendous if you never played a mario game like i did. The game looks like it's made in unity with some assets taken from set store. Although collecting moons is fun for the first 3 hours, it get's super tedious IMO after 10. I got to the last level faced bowser once failed and never turned that game on again. it was a slog for me to play that game longer then a hour. Went in pretty hype for this, came out with a sour taste in my mouth, and the hope for a new Warioland. Let's bring back WarioLand or at least something Wario Related

I personally get this feeling with every Mario game I play - I legitimately think they just don't play very well .... I really try to like them and tend to buy second hand copies at a reduced price but I am always left with the same feeling - feels slippery and not very precise IMO

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I enjoyed it until I finished the base story. I played it a couple times after but I just didn't have any desire to collect all the moons. I think I got all of the moons on the levels up to New Donk City and was done with the game after that. It started to feel like a slog.

Compare that with Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which I still play once every week or two for a few hours at a time.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I absolutely do. It was my main reason for buying a switch to be honest. Finished the game with 306 moons. I want to go back and play more at some point. It's right up there with the galaxys for me.

I will say however, that it lost its steam around the vanilla endgame (bowser kingdom) and I had to force myself to keep going so I could finish before Goty. At no point was i not having fun though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of think it's bad. It helped me realize I don't like the 3D Mario games. I find them directionless and pretty tedious. The game is being thrown into a series of random environments to collect items that have no discernible significance to your character or the world itself. I constantly found it difficult the motivate myself to do anything in the game outside of the desire to maybe see something new.

The game is well designed, in its small scale. The moment to moment puzzles or tasks are smart and intuitive in a way that shows you how good these designers have gotten at communicating with their audience. But on a larger scale it is remarkably dull.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was fine. Borrowed it from a friend and took a day to start and, apparently, play to the end. I did an hour of post game, but I followed the game in a linear fashion with some mild exploration. I didn't really feel like returning to any of the worlds, but I'm glad the game is robust enough to keep collectors busy for god knows how much is actually in this game (I never looked into this). Good experience for what I enjoyed, with some really great character/monster designs... I just wish I felt the same way about the worlds themselves. (especially all of the more odd, realistic choices)

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vorsic

I thought it was okay. I usually like collectathon platformers but I thought a lot of the moons weren't very fun to get. I played through Galaxy and part of World last year and I think I'm just not a Mario fan. 64 is the only one I really liked.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started off loving it, got to the third world and started to feel slightly tired of it. Once I completed it I started to really like it again because it didn't feel like I was getting such easy moons, anymore. then I fell off of it again when I was getting some of the super pesky ones.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with it and it had some super awesome moments, but I don't think it'll leave a lasting impression on me. The game felt very bloated or disjointed in a way. I'm just at a point where I'm expecting more from a game but my younger self would be head over heels for it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Yes, absolutely. I think it could have used a tighter focus either by sticking with the wedding theme or the titular Odyssey, but overall, I think it's one of the most pleasant platformers I've ever played, and I'm delighted at how much Nintendo crammed into each level.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I did while I was playing it, but at about 400 moons my interest level dropped like a rock. I played it a little longer, got 450 moons or so, and I just don't have any desire to play it anymore.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really really really enjoy Oddysey. I've read/heard a lot of people say it just "made them happy," but really - it's the most pure joy I've derived from a Nintendo product in a long time. Controlling Mario is superb, like, perfect. The "learning curve" of navigating the worlds with Mario had me attempting crazy platforming tricks by the end.

I'm really interested to see how I feel about it after some time has passed....

Also that fucking photo mode! I've spent countless hours trying to perfect shots and perusing my Switch's photo library making cuts to perfect my album. I really like this game.

Musica.

No Caption Provided

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BaneFireLord

Odyssey was my first 3D Mario. It was quite enjoyable but it didn't really blow my mind like I had hoped. I got to the credits two weeks ago and have been poking at the postgame here and there ever since, but I don't feel any urge to do much more than that.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I thought the game was a joyous romp, always seemed like I had a smile on my face while I was playing it. I'd say it's definitely the best 3D Mario to date, even over Galaxy 2.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fatalbanana
    @ikwal said:

It was fine. I had a pretty good time while playing it but turned it off after finishing the main game and will most likely never play it again. The fact that the moons was so plentiful and easy lessened the satisfaction of getting them. I can't help but feel like most Nintendo games are hugely overrated among reviewers.

The more I see comments like these the more I am convinced it's a weak rationalization for why you don't like a game as much as the majority of people seem to when its totally ok to just not like a thing. Maybe Nintendo games aren't for you thats an understandable take. Saying "I don't like it as much as they did therefore, everyone who praises it is wrong" is a stance I will never understand.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Captain_Insano

I really liked it. It was my GOTY for last year.

It's the first Mario game I've played since Mario 64 (and, one of the few 3D platformers I've played). I think it controls pretty well, hits the nostalgia in a great way and does a great job at continually rewarding you. I said this in my GOTY list, but for me, a big part of it was playing it with my 2 year old son next to me. Every time I would be about to get a Moon, I would get him to hit the button on his (disconnected) controller. Mario would jump (as I pressed my button) and get the Power Moon, and my son would flip out and be super excited. A feeling from games I haven't had before.

I think the challenge is there for those who want to seek it out.

I've stopped playing after 500 moons and doing the last last level, and I think I've gotten my fill of it.

There are some issues with the game, some of the worlds do really suck. I disliked the Jungle Flowers (I forget its actual name) level and the Snow level as well, but overall I think the positives of the game far outweigh any negatives.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Side note: I really dropped off and didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild, so I don't think the whole 'people just love all things Nintendo' thing really applies. People like Nintendo stuff because it is generally of a high quality and is in a well established and beloved universe.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m glad this hasn’t turned into a bash fest because it was never intended to be that. I didn’t like the game very much and wanted to get a consensus in hopes to see why people did and did not enjoy the game.

I, honestly, think it’s the lack of focus in these open world type games. The repetitive side missions/objectives that are reused for moons in every stage got tedious. I don’t think the level design was very good. Ultimately I just like focus. Show me the good stuff early on and don’t make me wait or see stuff that isn’t so good along the way.

I had the same issue with Zelda. Don’t make me deal with inventory stuff or find 100+ shrines that have simple puzzles in them to try and circumvent the annoying stamina system. I digress.

I loved windwaker and I loved almost all other mario games. These ones just did not click for me. *shrug*

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I thought it was okay. I was kind of confused with the outstanding reviews it was getting at release. It is a super polished game for sure, but it is filled with so much boring filler I just could not be bothered playing much after the story finished.

I heard an analogy I can't help but agree with. Basically that the moons in Odyssey are like the Korok seeds in BotW. Except in BotW it is a very minor collectible/currency thing and in Odyssey it is literally the entire game.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@glots said:

Played through it once at release and (mostly) enjoyed the journey, but haven’t touched the game since. Don’t have any desire to go collect the moons, would’ve rather had a more linear game as a whole.

I am in the same camp. Really enjoyed the run through....jumped back in and went...meh, I don't really feel like trying to collect more moons.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the only 3D Mario game where I didn't hate the way Mario controlled, so I had a lot of fun with it.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this game front to back. Yeah, a lot of the moons are trivial, but to me that was a way for players who did not want to engage with the difficult platforming challenges to still progress through the game and even unlock the post game content. What made the game for me was how well Mario controlled, though. I haven't played any other game where the act of moving across the world is so much fun. Chaining together crazy quadruple jumps and amassing real speed is what made even the stupidly easy moons enjoyable for me. Top that with the impressive and varied art style (I can't believe someone characterized the art as if it was pulled from random free Unity assets) and global leaderboards for races and I've put in like 70 hours into the game

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bmccann42

I bounced off of it pretty hard around the arctic level, but I also bounced off of Zelda as well.

I get that people love these games, but maybe as I didn't grow up with Nintendo products they fail to work on me.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you ask me it was the one best game of 2017. For once in my entirety playing Mario games it felt I had a real grasp how to platform well like the crazy technical shit Sunshine and 64 offer. You can throw that hat, dive into it and bounce off of it and dive again. It's that shit that would have been a technical test of prowess in Sunshine brought to you in the most feasible way possible. That is the good shit.

John_Cabana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John_Cabana

Its really awesome game. I love this game and Mario its my childhood favorite game. :-)

nulliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the game. I collected all the Power Moons one can possible collect in the first play and completed the game. I had a lot of fun doing that, I collected around 500 power moons but after defeating Bowser I didn't went back to collect the rest of the power moons.

I think that could be the main reason some people don't like it. The worlds are not that big and they were able to pack many moons in the same worlds for you to get back to those worlds. I enjoyed the game but I wouldn't keep playing the game to collect all the power moons, I already spend a lot of time in each world, I really don't have the desire to go back again just to collect them all.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Cheetoman

I didn't think it was bad. Just not for me? I don't think a game being extremely charming is enough for me these days.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I enjoyed my time with it, but I definitely didn't connect with it like a lot of people seemed to last year. I went back and played Super Mario World thinking that maybe Mario just isn't my jam any more and... nope, Super Mario World is friggen fun. I'll probably never go back to play Super Mario Odyssey until maybe my kids are old enough to start getting into games.

It just seemed kind of slippery, directionless and too collectathony. I did enjoy going to the new environments and seeing what kind of zaney stuff I'd encounter next, but that's more of an art design feat then a gameplay one. Kind of made me just wish for a AAA Adventure Time game with some good writing and gameplay hooks instead lol.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was different than I expected. I thought it would be like Mario 64/Sunshine. What it is instead is a collection of sandbox worlds that reward exploration and experimentation. The moons are just recognition that you tried something out and it worked. It's a masterpiece of platforming design. I don't know if I'd want this to be "the way" for the Mario series going forward but it's remarkable how often Nintendo is able to reshape the wheel and make it work so well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very much. It’s brimming with personality so you can overlook the kinks that haven’t been worked out since Sunshine. So a somewhat easy Mario game is perfectly fine.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it while playing it but I'm not sure if I'll ever go back. Seriously considering selling it on to mostly fund buying Mario Tennis or Octopath Traveler.

I've actually never really liked the 3D Mario games. Anytime I see someone talk about how tight they think the controls are they seem mad to me as I find them terribly floaty and imprecise. Still, the fact I actually finished Odyssey and enjoyed doing so says something for the quality of that game.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It occupies a weird space in my head; I absolutely loved my time playing it but I can barely remember anything noteworthy. I beat it after around 25 hours or so, and I still go back to it every once in a while to collect some moons or just hop around and have fun. But as I sit at my desk trying to think of memorable moments or reasons why I love it I'm coming up blank.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it, best Mario game I’ve played and that is not even an exaggeration, didn’t care for the reverse camera in Galaxy when traversing its very linear section of planets. Odyssey was just generally a fun romp.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it. It started off with a bang with Tostarena and that jazzy forest, but then really started to go down from there. It still had moments and a few fun moons, here and there, but it just became more of a drag. The levels just didn't have the same mystique and wonder about them. It's a solid 3/5 for me and could see a 4/5 because of some great sequences.

Avatar image for dreamfinder1983
    DreamFinder1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very fun! It's become one of my favorites, actually...

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fine. Feels like there was something missing but can't tell what. Luigis ballon world is kind of fun though.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the best mario game.

Also the final big setpiece bit in the main story makes me so happy I wanna cry

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first 3D Mario game and I don't find it very enjoyable. I don't like the platforming and I don't really get the point. You just try to collect all the moons? I'm in the lunch world. How much further do I have to go?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.