The future of Mario’s move set in 3d Games

BigWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigWookie

The introduction of Cappy in Mario Odyssey seriously extends the range of moves that Mario has enjoyed for most of his 3D game life. This is especially true when you start to learn some of the more complicated manoeuvres that involve chaining together normal jumps, the “bounce off cappy” move and the dive. Watching speed runs of this game highlight some incredible use of these features. My question is this: Can future 3D Mario games exist without replicating these new moves in some form? Would a new game that doesn’t feature them seem like a backwards step? I think I ultimately trust Nintendo to come up with something alternatively brilliant if the moves don’t carry over to the next game, but they will surely have a tough task on their hands.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe they'll do direct sequels as they did with Galaxy. Otherwise, I agree, it would take some adjusting to go back to 3D Mario without Cappy. I mean, sure, they can find other ways to extend his movement ability and precision, and it'd take some adjusting, no matter what - but Cappy did more than just change his movement. 'Inhabiting' enemies and using their abilities is a big part of the game too.

Time will tell if we get an Odyssey 2 (Odyssey 1 isn't going anywhere for a long time), or if they just ditch the entire mechanic the way they did with Sunshine. I just hope whatever the next iteration is, whatever movement options are there, that they're as precise as they are here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.