Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

The Hint Toad: Is it Cheating?

HotSaucerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So who here has used the Hint Toad to locate some pesky moons? I went back to a previous kingdom to mop up some moons and told myself I would just talk to him once and 6 moons later I have used him 6 times. In a way I feel kind of like I cheated myself the exploration/reward of discovering a couple of those moons, but on the other hand there were a couple that I really think I may never have found otherwise. The latter were ones in places I already had thought I'd scoped out completely. Thoughts? Am I a bad person?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nah, who cares? I'll often pull up a guide for a game if there's something I can't figure out on my own. It's about how you feel about it yourself, but for my money it's nothing bad.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a feature in the game, they put it there for a reason. No one should feel bad a bout using it.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I may have looked up walkthroughs on finding the last 10 or so shrines in Zelda, so actually having hints in game? You better believe I’m gonna use that.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have used the hint toad no less than 30 times and have zero regrets. I have also scanned two amiibo, which gives the same results but is far slower.

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered said:

It's a feature in the game, they put it there for a reason. No one should feel bad a bout using it.

The only time Mario ever makes me feel bad is when I die multiple times on something and it offers me the equivalent of 'Baby Mode.' No dammit! I grew up with and am good at games, I swear!

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's in the game it's 100% legal

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manually finding every collectible in a large game is something strictly reserved for the clinically insane.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Not cheating, the worlds are larger and the moons are more hidden. So I don't feel bad about using it at all.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered said:

The only time Mario ever makes me feel bad is when I die multiple times on something and it offers me the equivalent of 'Baby Mode.' No dammit! I grew up with and am good at games, I swear!

I get it, it's definitely a pride thing. I used to feel bad about lowering difficulties in games, but i have gotten over that now. If a game starts getting under my skin i would rather drop the difficulty for that section then forcing my self through it. I have found that doing that usually end with me having fonder memories of whatever game it might be. There are games where i have force my self through countless shitty sections where that ended up painting an otherwise great game as a real stinker.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Solves the problem of having to look at a guide for the more obscure ones. I'll definitely spend most of my time trying to find them on my own, but sometimes I need a nudge after wandering for way too long.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, how dare you use the in-game hint system to find a couple of the fifty-plus moons that are hidden in most kingdoms. What kind of monster are you to use something built into the game for that specific purpose?

That was extreme sarcasm, by the way.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nintendo intends people to use all hints available in the game. I haven't used Toad yet, just Talkatoo and Uncle Amiibo so far. I'll eventually use him.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

It's only cheating if you feel like you're cheating yourself. It's a 3D Mario game; no need to compare yourself to others. So in that sense, what's it matter?

In a way I feel kind of like I cheated myself the exploration/reward of discovering a couple of those moons

Welp...

Look, you used them because you made a judgement call at the time that you'd enjoy the game more by doing so, rather than frustrating yourself with the amount of time exploring (for any reason, i.e. time, boredom, whatever).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I used it once and the area the marker is in I've already gotten two moons from and I can't figure out any way there can be a third. So if it is cheating it's a bad cheat. Also the description it gives you in the list of shines is pretty vague and sounded like something I already did in that area so I don't fuckin know what's up.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've paid for a hint every time I've seen him. I haven't used the map for them yet. I figure if I need them I have them.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By poobumbutt

It's only cheating if you feel like you're cheating yourself. I haven't used Toad yet, but I guarantee the second the frustration of searching aimlessly for ONE DAMN MOON outstrips the fun of exploration, it's Toad time.

I'm trying to play through this, Breath of the Wild and Wolfenstein right now. I don't have the luxury to be prideful.

roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing you don't know how many moons are actually in the game. You kinda need a hint system.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manually finding every collectible in a large game is something strictly reserved for the clinically insane.

I was expecting to see "Vinny" under that spoiler tag.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By BasketSnake

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to collect all purple coins in a world the first time you play it. It seems like it so far. I know you have to advance the story to get all the moons though. Can anyone give me a definitive answer and just that? I'm avoiding all kinds of info.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Play the game anyway you want. Use all the features the game provides.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Shaanyboi

No. You still have to be able to do the thing.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotsaucerman: Play how you want to; that's the beauty of Video Games.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using the amiibo hint machine. Is that cheating? I paid for this incredibly dapper Mario in a wedding suit amiibo and by golly I will use him!

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basketsnake: Yes, it is possible to get all of the purple coins on your first visit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.