Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Sunshine

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 19, 2002

While vacationing on tropical Isle Delfino, Mario is framed for vandalism committed by his own shadowy doppelganger, forcing the paroled plumber to clean up the entire island by using a specialized water-spraying device known as F.L.U.D.D.

The Verdict in 2017 - Mario Sunshine

• 49 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll The Verdict in 2017 - Mario Sunshine (417 votes)

1 Shine 8%
    2 Shines 10%
    3 Shines 23%
    4 Shines 36%
    5 Shines 22%

I'm wondering what the consensus on Mario Sunshine is today. I didn't own a GC until '08ish so I didn't get to dig into it until much later. Although I think it's a decent game, the lack of polish expected from a core Mario title seemed strange. It also felt quite clunky for a series known for it's simple, quick and responsive execution of its move set. I also never became totally comfortable with FLUDD either.

In the end, I had my fill of Mario Sunshine after collecting 45 Shines. Today, I would rate it 3/5 Stars, what about you?

• 
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like this game better than Mario 64 in the end. The worlds are way more open and have a ton of secrets packed in. Exploring and using your brain to find secret Shines is a whole lot of fun. FLUDD is an awesome tool and really complements Mario's moveset. Going through the game while really combing through each world for everything is a blast and highly addictive.

BUT!

The post-game is trash! Whoever decided these blue coin placements needs to have their head examined.

Stuff like having it visible but hard to reach, or killing an enemy at the place where you got a shine before is fine, and the racing ones are a good time, but the others? "Spray this random tree!" "Spray this random window!" "Just keep spraying the beach hoping one will show up!"

Running around spraying absolutely everything in sight for coins isn't fun or intuitive, and since there's no reliable way to track down everything like the item sound in Metroid Prime, some of these are nigh impossible without a guide or a heck of a lot of luck.

I usually go out of my way to 100% every 3D Mario I play. 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, I've fully completed them all, and I do it because it's usually a blast. But doing it here has just stopped being fun, and I absolutely loathe the idea of staring at a guide while playing. So I'm taking my 115 shines and leaving.

Overall, loved pretty much every minute of my main run, but mopping up those last 10 shines is just a total pain, and not every level is a winner, so not sure I can give it a 5. Still, I had an awesome time playing it in general, and was way more addicted than I was to 64, so a 4 seems right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.