Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario World

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1990

One of the few launch titles of the SNES (and bundled with the system in North America and Europe), the fifth main game in the Super Mario series brings the Mario brothers into the mysterious Dinosaur Land. It marks the first appearance of Mario's dinosaur companions, known as Yoshi.

Which Level Do You Consider the "1-1" of SMW?

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Poll Which Level Do You Consider the "1-1" of SMW? (83 votes)

Yoshi's Island 1 (to the left; big bullet bills; dinos you spin jump) 48%
    Yoshi's Island 2 (to the right; forest tileset; yoshi; that line of red koopas) 42%
    I refuse to vote for anything with "Yoshi's Island" in the name, just show me the results 10%

I think that Super Mario World is the first Mario game to have a non-canonical first level *-- you can either go left to Yoshi's Island 1 (with the big bullet bills and the dinos you spin-jump), or right to Yoshi's Island 2 (a woodsier vibe with Yoshi and the line of koopas for the 1-up). So which level do you consider (on a personal level, not a "I don't know, whichever one has the 1 in it" level) to be the "1-1" of Super Mario World? Which level do you play first or consider a better introduction?

*(Note that while SMB 3 does have a map, it does not branch at all until after 1-2.)

• 
    imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It's Yoshi's Island 1. The big bullet bill at the start is the big opening set piece. It's the Orca from Sonic Adventure. You get your feet wet, before they introduce the shiny new game mechanic in Yoshi in the second level.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Yoshi Island 2 (despite the name). It starts displaying the goombas and koopas as the first enemies and it reinforces the idea of using its shells to kill the conga line...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I always start by going to the right to "Yoshi's Island 2". I get that it's not optimal, but it just makes the most sense to me for some reason. I also think that it serves as a better intro to the game than "Yoshi's Island 1".

Avatar image for colonelsanders21
    colonelsanders21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like statistically the answer might be Yoshi’s Island 2 since people choose to go right more often when given the choice, but at the same time it is listed as the 2nd level and the Gamer’s Instinct might take over and make people switch to level 1.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mario games always have you run to the right, so I go right first.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yoshi's Island 2, you go right first.

CBHZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You’re all wrong, it’s the intro text screen. Especially if it’s a Kaizo intro screen.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@bollard: @noboners: Yes, in Mario games you go to the right. However, going right means you start at the left and then move to the right. It's more accurate to say you go from left to right. We also read from left to right. When you open a book, you read the page on the left first.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say it's stage 2, getting Yoshi really feels like Mario World has "started" since stage 1 has a fire flower at best which is found in any other game. For instance, Mario 3's stage 1 has the Tanuki leaf and you're able to do the thing that sets Mario 3 apart.

Also, to expand on earlier comments, I think you're naturally going to go to the right on the world map cuz there's the castle and other things that stand out to the right. That's just my thinking and not based on any real science.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.