Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

How are Keyboard/mouse controls?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I dont have an Xbox but my friend did give me a controller for one for some of my pc games so Im just curious how the keyboard controls are and if there is any controller support. Thanks

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By fflyash

Keyboard controls have been working fine for me and I believe 360 controllers are supported.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Skald

Keyboard works fine, controller works better. The 360 controller is the only one to be officially supported, but I get by fine with a DualShock 3 w/ a keyboard emulator.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Works fine, but trust me, after a while you will need one.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JP_Russell

I think they're fine.  A lot of people will tell you that you need a gamepad to play this kind of game, but as someone who has A+'d every level I've played and beaten The Kid's warp zone levels using the keyboard, I say that's nonsense - the keyboard is perfectly competent.   Unfortunately, there is no key binding customization yet, so if the two native run/jump control schemes in the game feel awkward for you, you have to either use a key mapping program or just get used to it, for now.

The game does support the 360 controller, if that's more your speed.  Just use whatever you find most comfortable.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r
    @JP_Russell said:
    "

the keyboard is perfectly competent.   Unfortunately, there is no key binding customization yet"

Agreed and indeed, the latter part being really shitty.
    fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fflyash
    @Hamst3r:  There is actually key binding customization now. There's a file called buttonmap.cfg in the Super Meat Boy folder which you can edit with notepad.
    face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By face15

When you launch the game it says 'Keyboard vs Gamepad, you be the judge. (Spoliers: Gamepad Wins). 

So the developers clearly want you to use a gamepad and I agree with them. I've been using my Dualshock 3 and it seems a lot better than the first couple of levels I did with my kayboard.

lindseybee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lindseybee
    @JP_Russell said:
    "

I think they're fine.  A lot of people will tell you that you need a gamepad to play this kind of game, but as someone who has A+'d every level I've played and beaten The Kid's warp zone levels using the keyboard, I say that's nonsense - the keyboard is perfectly competent.   Unfortunately, there is no key binding customization yet, so if the two native run/jump control schemes in the game feel awkward for you, you have to either use a key mapping program or just get used to it, for now.

The game does support the 360 controller, if that's more your speed.  Just use whatever you find most comfortable.

"
    I agree , it WILL feel awkward at first, but you will also get used to the keyboard.
    shady520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shady520

I am playing the 360 version that I picked up on sale an for some reason it seems my controller is not responsive at least 10% of the time where I am clearly in the middle of a large wall sliding down and mashing the "A" button just for me to slide down into a saw or something. I was more than happy playing with the keyboard when I played the original and it felt good after a couple of levels of getting used to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.