Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Super Meat Boy: PC or Xbox 360 version?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Having played Super Tofu Boy and Meat Boy, i'm itching to play Super Meat Boy. Still I don't know with which version I should get it on.  

What is the version that you like best? and why?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

PC: Eventually getting a Level Editor.

Xbox: Developer made map packs.  

Both also have characters that are exclusive to each.

Choose.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

I'd imagine both are pretty much the same, though some people were having issues with stability issues in the PC version. On the other hand there will be a level editor for the PC version sooo I dunno? If you have the means to use the 360 pad on the PC I guess go PC.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " PC: Eventually getting a Level Editor. Xbox: Developer made map packs.   Both also have characters that are exclusive to each. Choose. "
    Oh the pain of choosing! It's almost unbearable!
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I'm playing the PC version with a PS3 controller (thanks to motion joy).  With the PC verison you probably get more controller choice.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Jeust said:

" @LordXavierBritish said:

" PC: Eventually getting a Level Editor. Xbox: Developer made map packs.   Both also have characters that are exclusive to each. Choose. "
    Oh the pain of choosing! It's almost unbearable! "
    Let me put it this way. 

Along with the level editor there is also going to be a portal other players can upload their levels to to be played and rated by the community. 

I also tend to think the PC characters are better, and if you are looking for maximum content that is your best choice. 

Just keep in mind that you'll have to wait until at least January for this stuff to launch.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @Weltal said:

" I'd imagine both are pretty much the same, though some people were having issues with stability issues in the PC version. On the other hand there will be a level editor for the PC version sooo I dunno? If you have the means to use the 360 pad on the PC I guess go PC. "

@teh_pwnzorer said:

" I'm playing the PC version with a PS3 controller (thanks to motion joy).  With the PC verison you probably get more controller choice. "

@LordXavierBritish said:

" @Jeust said:

" @LordXavierBritish said:

Oh the pain of choosing! It's almost unbearable! "
    Let me put it this way.  Along with the level editor there is also going to be a portal other players can upload their levels to to be played and rated by the community.  I also tend to think the PC characters are better, and if you are looking for maximum content that is your best choice.  Just keep in mind that you'll have to wait until at least January for this stuff to launch. "
    Thanks, for the information guys! The PC version does look the most promising.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

I say PC, but you can't really go wrong either way. 

Both have Commander Video. He is awesome.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JP_Russell
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "PC: Eventually getting a Level Editor. Xbox: Developer made map packs.   Both also have characters that are exclusive to each. Choose. "

To clarify, the PC version will get all the same additional map content the 360 version will get, correct?  Except for any map packs devoted to a 360-exclusive unlockable character, I guess.
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By HereAllDay

If you have a PS3 controller you're even more in luck as you can hook up a DS3 to work perfectly with your computer so you don't have to worry about controllers and shit.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189

The PC port is probably the worst port from any game ever. Bear that in mind.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By infininja

I had lots of trouble on launch day with the PC version. I haven't tried it since. The 360 version only had very minor bugs.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The PC version has some issues at the moment, but Edmund & Tommy are working their asses off to resolve them, so I'm pretty sure the reliability issues will be a non-issue before long.

So that brings it down to content. The PC version has the level editor which is due in January, including a full level portal. The 360 version has "teh internets" which features extra developer made levels (although most of those will be available on PC, and those that aren't will no doubt be created by someone using the level editor).

Lavos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Lavos

I waited to pick up the PC version specifically so that didn't have to use the 360 dpad. Oh man, it was completely worth it. 

There has been stability and controller input issues, but they've so-far released a patch a day to fix issues. The game is already much better than it was a launch, and is getting better quite rapidly.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By neoepoch

I'm not sure what problems people are having with the PC version, but I've been playing just fine. I'm at The End right now and I actually beat 'The Guy' warp zone (although through much gnashing of teeth). But the game seems solid. Also add to the fact that Minecraft dude apparently just breaks the game because he can remove any block, even ones that he didn't place.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By wh1terav3n

You need to play with a controller (not technically, but in practice its easier), so if you have a wired 360 controller or something that's better but either is pretty much good. The best PC level editor levels ARE going to be on 360 but...its really a fairly even choice.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funzzo

The PC version wins. No waiting months for microsoft to approve a new patch. LEVEL EDITOR!!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189 said:
    " The PC port is probably the worst port from any game ever. Bear that in mind. "
    I haven't seen a single bug or crash to support this, but I've heard rumblings that some people have had problems starting the game.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shiftymagician
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " The PC port is probably the worst port from any game ever. Bear that in mind. "
    I haven't seen a single bug or crash to support this, but I've heard rumblings that some people have had problems starting the game. "
    I 100% the game with very little issues aside from a crash or two, and after a patch, no crashes at all personally.  So consider the main problems pretty much over for the common user.  Now if they can get all of their achievements to unlock properly.  I should have had the Dead Boy achievement, but alas it didn't unlock for me.
    coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coryrx8
    @Lavos said:
    "I waited to pick up the PC version specifically so that didn't have to use the 360 dpad. Oh man, it was completely worth it. 

There has been stability and controller input issues, but they've so-far released a patch a day to fix issues. The game is already much better than it was a launch, and is getting better quite rapidly. "

Out of curiosity, have you used the new Special Edition 360 controller with the transforming D-pad? I'm using it for this game and loving it. Microsoft should really consider making that controller standard.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoeyRavn

In terms of Achievements, XBLA version is way easier to S-Rank. 

... yes. I said that Super Meat Boy is "easy" to S-Rank. I mean, the PC version has those crazy "not die in a whole world" and glitch levels Achievements that seem impossible in the later chapters. If you are remotely interested in getting an S-Rank in the game, go for the 360 version. 

Otherwise, the PC version seems to pack more for your buck. And after the patches, it seems to be as stable as the 360 version (which, BTW, has not been patched yet, and it still has some bugs in the autosaving system and bandages).

RexxaR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RexxaR
    @Funzzo said:
    " The PC version wins. No waiting months for microsoft to approve a new patch. LEVEL EDITOR!!!! "
    Yeah. I'm support you. This is important.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dalai

You should've gotten it on Steam the other day when it was less than $4. I'd probably go with the PC version granted you have a wired 360 controller. 

You can play as a goo ball.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zero_

If you want the level editor and freedom of user created maps, go PC. If not, go 360. 360 runs much better at the moment.

p0tat0_5alad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By p0tat0_5alad

It's damn near free on Steam though... And you can hook up a controller...

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By bulletstorm

I was going to make a thread about this - but maybe you guys can help sort this out - is Super Meat Boy on PC trolling? 

Every time I start that game up its like "lul, get a gamepad" and I'm like, fuck you, I play my PC games on a god damn keyboard. 
    And its like, "use the arrow keys to move and space to jump and shift to sprint" and I'm like, thats uncomfortable, I'm configure it to WASD please. 
    And its all like "lul, no keyboard configuration settings" and I'm like, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu 

Really though, I got it on sale and everything, but still. Besides getting a look at the Hi-Res art on my PC, I feel like this is one hell of a lackluster PC port. 

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eldiax
    @BulletStorm: This is from the official Super Meat Boy blog:  

Custom Controls:
    You can now customize the controls of Meatboy himself. This customization only applies to Meat Boy since it's the most important aspect of the game. There is a file in the install directory called "buttonmap.cfg" (It was buttoMmap.cfg when I first uploaded it...I was quite tired). So it works like this. There are two sections in the file, keyboard and gamepad. You can set the movement, jump, and special / run keys to anything you like (within reason) through this file. So you lefties that wanted WASD, here you go. The config file is case sensitive, so just make sure its all lower case. Some buttons that do not have alphanumeric represtation have special names like:

Enter: return
    Left Shift: shift
    Right Shift: rshift
    Space: space
    Left Control: control
    Right Control: rcontrol

You can only bind an action to one key.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.