Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Super Meat Boy's Wiiware Release Canceled

• 92 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

It’s bad enough that Wiiware releases are more notable for the ridiculous press releases announcing games than the actual games in question. It’s way, way worse when a legitimately awesome game has its Wiiware release canceled.

Such is the case with Super Meat Boy, Team Meat’s critically acclaimed platformer/controller-snapping simulator, which was released last year on the Xbox 360 and PC. Originally announced as a Wiiware title back in 2009, Team Meat now reports that the final version of Super Meat Boy simply isn't feasible on Nintendo's downloadable game service and have decided to cancel the release.

How many blocks of space does this version of Super Meat Boy require? According to Team Meat, too many. 
     How many blocks of space does this version of Super Meat Boy require? According to Team Meat, too many. 

According to Team Meat, as the size and scope of SMB increased during development, the game soon outstripped the Wii Shop's 40MB size restriction for downloadable games. As a result, Team Meat was forced to make a choice between canceling the downloadable release or launching an inferior version of the game... and opted to cancel.  

"There is no way to avoid the fact that if we released a 40MB version of Super Meat Boy, it would be a shit version of the game," Edmund McMillen, the artist and designer at Team Meat, told Joystiq in an interview following the cancellation of the Wiiware release. According to the interview, squeezing SMB down under the 40MB limit would force Team Meat to cut the game’s online leaderboards, DLC support and the Dark World alternate levels, as well as reducing the game’s incredible musical score down to just six tracks. 

"It's a lose-lose situation,” McMillen told Joystiq, “but the fact of the matter is if we release a shitty game, we will have to live with that for the rest of our careers and have to cop to the fact that it is a shitty game."

Team Meat admits that, while they knew of the Wiiware size limitations going into development, they thought they would be able to convince Nintendo to let them release a larger, more comprehensive version of the game. Nintendo, however, refused Team Meat's requests. 

"It's lame that there is a 40MB cap on WiiWare games,” McMillen said to Joystiq, “but it was our fault for blindly assuming this cap wasn't set in stone, and we are sorry for that."

However, while the Wiiware version of Super Meat Boy is no longer a possibility, Team Meat still hasn’t given up on getting their game on the Wii; the small company is currently reaching out to third-party publishers for a possible retail release of the game, circumventing the size limitations that kept SMB off of Wiiware. 

Unfortunately, even with the critical acclaim that has accompanied Super Meat Boy’s release, publishers aren't necessarily lining up to release the title. McMillen told Joystiq that the publishers Team Meat have approached so far feel that a non-Nintendo retail Wii release is a "bad idea, profit-wise", citing the lack of major third-party successes on the platform. Though Team Meat continues to look for a SMB retail publisher, they admit that it's an uphill battle. 

How great would it be to see a game with this box art in the Wii aisle of your local game retailer next to the lumberjack party game and Babysitting Mama?
     How great would it be to see a game with this box art in the Wii aisle of your local game retailer next to the lumberjack party game and Babysitting Mama?

Considering the ways in which Super Meat Boy draws on the legacy of old NES and SNES games—with its focus on precision/timing gameplay, as well as the many homages to classic video games—it’s totally crazy that the Wiiware release of Super Meat Boy has been shuttered. Still, I'm glad to see a developer choose to avoid compromising the quality of their game for extra revenue. In the meantime, if you’re looking for downloadable games on the Wii Shop worth your time, you’ll just have to stick with Cave Story, the Bit. Trip games, and any title that lets you whack the banana off the screen.
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

It’s bad enough that Wiiware releases are more notable for the ridiculous press releases announcing games than the actual games in question. It’s way, way worse when a legitimately awesome game has its Wiiware release canceled.

Such is the case with Super Meat Boy, Team Meat’s critically acclaimed platformer/controller-snapping simulator, which was released last year on the Xbox 360 and PC. Originally announced as a Wiiware title back in 2009, Team Meat now reports that the final version of Super Meat Boy simply isn't feasible on Nintendo's downloadable game service and have decided to cancel the release.

According to Team Meat, as the size and scope of SMB increased during development, the game soon outstripped the Wii Shop's 40MB size restriction for downloadable games. As a result, Team Meat was forced to make a choice between canceling the downloadable release or launching an inferior version of the game... and opted to cancel.  

"There is no way to avoid the fact that if we released a 40MB version of Super Meat Boy, it would be a shit version of the game," Edmund McMillen, the artist and designer at Team Meat, told Joystiq in an interview following the cancellation of the Wiiware release. According to the interview, squeezing SMB down under the 40MB limit would force Team Meat to cut the game’s online leaderboards, DLC support and the Dark World alternate levels, as well as reducing the game’s incredible musical score down to just six tracks. 

"It's a lose-lose situation,” McMillen told Joystiq, “but the fact of the matter is if we release a shitty game, we will have to live with that for the rest of our careers and have to cop to the fact that it is a shitty game."

Team Meat admits that, while they knew of the Wiiware size limitations going into development, they thought they would be able to convince Nintendo to let them release a larger, more comprehensive version of the game. Nintendo, however, refused Team Meat's requests. 

"It's lame that there is a 40MB cap on WiiWare games,” McMillen said to Joystiq, “but it was our fault for blindly assuming this cap wasn't set in stone, and we are sorry for that."

However, while the Wiiware version of Super Meat Boy is no longer a possibility, Team Meat still hasn’t given up on getting their game on the Wii; the small company is currently reaching out to third-party publishers for a possible retail release of the game, circumventing the size limitations that kept SMB off of Wiiware. 

Unfortunately, even with the critical acclaim that has accompanied Super Meat Boy’s release, publishers aren't necessarily lining up to release the title. McMillen told Joystiq that the publishers Team Meat have approached so far feel that a non-Nintendo retail Wii release is a "bad idea, profit-wise", citing the lack of major third-party successes on the platform. Though Team Meat continues to look for a SMB retail publisher, they admit that it's an uphill battle. 

Considering the ways in which Super Meat Boy draws on the legacy of old NES and SNES games—with its focus on precision/timing gameplay, as well as the many homages to classic video games—it’s totally crazy that the Wiiware release of Super Meat Boy has been shuttered. Still, I'm glad to see a developer choose to avoid compromising the quality of their game for extra revenue. In the meantime, if you’re looking for downloadable games on the Wii Shop worth your time, you’ll just have to stick with Cave Story, the Bit. Trip games, and any title that lets you whack the banana off the screen.
    Prodigal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Prodigal

Isn't this news almost 2 weeks old?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Unpleasant shit. 

Deleting your post when obviously trying to get the first post achievement = Unnecessary. Have fun realizing that these achievements will render useless for you in the future.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By 234r2we232

Oh no. I guess Wii owners will have to make do with those Super Mario games which are also platformers. Oh well.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well that sucks. Guess I'm getting the Steam version after all.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By UncleDisco

Kinda old news.. but man.. that box art is still fucking great.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Manatassi

Ouch 

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wiseblood

This actually makes the "news" Nicholson usually posts seem timely.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

It's a bummer for Wii owners, but surely people out there would at least have a PC capable enough to play that version of the game if they have no other options.

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sofacitysweetheart:  Dude, what? Just because they are both games where you jump from things doesn't make them in any way similar. Your statement is like saying that Rainbow Six is just like Gears of War because they both involve shooting guns.
    Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chicken008

Mac version isn't out yet.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Cincaid

40mb limit?
    Yikes. Happy new year, 1991.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @Gap said:
    " And nothing of value was lost "
    Easy playing the internet asshole isn't it?  I'm sure that there were some Wii-only gamers that were looking forward to it, and it's a shame that they might have to wait for a disc release to get it.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By davidwitten22

Ps3 version???

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never hated on Nicholson before, so right now I will. 
    Cause this shit is fucking 10 years old.' 

ALSO IM FUCKING SO PISSED AT THE MOMENT

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mattbodega
    @davidwitten22: Apparently not. Team Meat has said repeatedly that there wasn't and could never be a PS3 version (due to publishing deals and not technical limitations). Also a huge bummer.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Legend

Sorry, Bodega, but old news is old..

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad
    @InfamousBIG: Kessler wrote this. But yeah, I agree that this is too old and not worth posting at this point.
    Paloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Paloc
    @Hailinel said:

Easy playing the internet asshole isn't it?  I'm sure that there were some Wii-only gamers that were looking forward to it, and it's a shame that they might have to wait for a disc release to get it. " 

I wonder if a disc version would even work, I mean the load times for levels are non-exsistant and so fast that having to load from a cd may slow down and detract from the game just as much as if they cut the file size down. 

Either way I really hope Nintendo does a better job with the Wii 2.0 on it's online support.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was news to me, and apparently Cliffy B, so get over yourselves.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @animathias said:
    " This was news to me, and apparently Cliffy B, so get over yourselves. "
    I saw that shit on Twitter. Ha.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 234r2we232
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart:  Dude, what? Just because they are both games where you jump from things doesn't make them in any way similar. Your statement is like saying that Rainbow Six is just like Gears of War because they both involve shooting guns. "
    Aren't there like only two things to do in Super Meat Boy?
    Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sharpless
    @Wiseblood said:
    " This actually makes the "news" Nicholson usually posts seem timely. "
    Hey, hey, guys, I think there's something wrong with my monitor. For some reason, this guy's comment just shows up as "Wah wah wah wah 'wah' Wah wah wah wah wah." Should I log out or defragment or...?
    ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ICF_19XX
    @CrazyChris said:
    " 40mb limit? Yikes. Happy new year, 1991. "
    Tee hee. Nice.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By davidwitten22
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart:  Dude, what? Just because they are both games where you jump from things doesn't make them in any way similar. Your statement is like saying that Rainbow Six is just like Gears of War because they both involve shooting guns. "
    This
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By sammo21

Anyone keeping track of this has seen this writing on the wall for a long time now.  Unfortunate for sure, but hopefully it can garner a retail release...but I doubt it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I really don't know who the wiiware version was aimed at anyway. I mean, anyone who is interested in the game should already own it on PC - it has extremely low system specs, so anyone with a PC built since the stone age should be able to run it. 

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By dragonzord

Kessler's favorite Pokemon is number 79

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kjellm87

I find this ironic since Nintendo was the one requested this game being made for Wiiware in the first place

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sofacitysweetheart:  You're missing the point. Two games can be in the same genre but have completely different gameplay. It's not simply what you do in the game, but how you do it. They have completely different level design and gameplay philosophies. Apples, oranges, etc.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#32  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Prodigal said:
    " Isn't this news almost 2 weeks old? "
    "Posted 1 week, 5 days ago". I guess Matt wrote up the article right before going into hibernation and forgot to post it.

@MattBodega: How was your hibernation? :P
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#33  Edited By strangeling

Old news or not, this is the first I've heard it.  Not everyone visits every other gaming website on the internets.  Not that it matters.  I hadn't considered the Wii version.  I'm still trying to decide between the XBLA and Steam versions.  Headcrabs in my SMB sounds enticing, but I'm not sure how it'd control on the pc.  It seems like the type of game you need a controller for, as opposed to a keyboard and mouse, and I haven't bought one yet. 
    Also, MattBodega writes a much better article than Brad Nicholson. 

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defe

I respect that decision. Better to scrap the game than release something inferior. Good call by the developers.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By White_Silhouette

That sucks, hopefully they will push it to the PSN, where they would most likely have a larger (edit: Target) audience anyway.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#36  Edited By LordAndrew
    @strangeling: The PC version encourages the use of a gamepad. It's tricky to control Meat Boy with the keyboard.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @LordAndrew said:

" @Prodigal said:

" Isn't this news almost 2 weeks old? "
    "Posted 1 week, 5 days ago". I guess Matt wrote up the article right before going into hibernation and forgot to post it. "
    There is often a time delay between the time displayed on Bodega & Nicholson's posts and the time they actually get posted. I guess it's because they're not based at the whiskey offices, they submit them to some internal news queue type thing, where the staff at whiskey towers proof read it & whatnot, and then they post it up. That's what I've always assumed anyway, but I could be wrong.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yeah, this isn't exactly news, but hope wasn't completely lost until now. 

I've said it before and I will say it again: I will keep buying Super Meat Boy as long as Team Meat keeps releasing it. 

This type of game development needs to be viable again. It NEEDS to be.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By abendlaender

That's really a shame, but I guess but I guess it's Nintendos fault.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, this is old news as everyone around the netz has been talking about it. It's only sad to me as I want Team Meat to make more money, but it's cool that they wont sacrifice quality for revenue. That's something you'll only see from indie developers and that's why I respect them so. 

If it's been said, I don't know about it. Why is it they don't release on PSN? 
    edit: I read past comments and it was explained: Thanks Matt =)
    Anyway, good on them for sticking to quality.

@strangeling:

Just so you know, it does support the XBOX controller on PC and works great. I play it on my PC using that. I haven't tried with the keyboard yet. Knowing how much using a controller makes it feel slick but still hurts my knuckles I suspect using a keyboard may be torture- I dont know though haven't tried that out.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By TehFlan

Does anyone know why Nintendo is so strict about the size limit? This just seems stupid. Oh well, I guess I'll just buy a gamepad and get this on Steam.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FritzDude

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By MetalBaofu
    @strangeling said:
    " Old news or not, this is the first I've heard it.  Not everyone visits every other gaming website on the internets.  Not that it matters.  I hadn't considered the Wii version.  I'm still trying to decide between the XBLA and Steam versions.  Headcrabs in my SMB sounds enticing, but I'm not sure how it'd control on the pc.  It seems like the type of game you need a controller for, as opposed to a keyboard and mouse, and I haven't bought one yet. Also, MattBodega writes a much better article than Brad Nicholson.  "
    I use my wired 360 controller as my PC gamepad.  If you only have a wireless one I think you might need  a receiver to plug in the PC's USB port, though.  Just wanted to mention that in case it was something you hadn't thought of or didn't know.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Gap said:
    " And nothing of value was lost "
    Easy playing the internet asshole isn't it?  I'm sure that there were some Wii-only gamers that were looking forward to it, and it's a shame that they might have to wait for a disc release to get it. "
    I don't think there are enough Wii-only gamers in the target audience for this really to be a huge loss.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JJOR64

That's a huge bummer for Wii owners.  This was easily my favorite XBLA game of last year and it's sad some people wont be able to play it.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bonbolapti

I thought we all knew this a month ago.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aetheldod

Oh Ninty ... stupid , stupid Ninty , good to know that you prefer Wiiware crap to good games because of being stupidly stubborn

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By takua108
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFlan: They are strict because the Wii only comes with 512MB of internal storage and they probably don't trust the average consumer to add an SD card.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Considering it was Reggie Fils-Aime who, impressed by the Meat Boy flash game, told Team Meat they should do some WiiWare. It's kind of disingenuous of Nintendo to not make a size exception for a well-received downloadable title. I mean what else are they going to point to for a killer app? Eduardo the Samurai Toaster?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.