Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mega Baseball 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 01, 2018

Sequel to Super Mega Baseball, an arcade-style baseball game with completely fictional players and teams that can be customized to the player's wishes.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Super Mega Baseball 2

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imunbeatable80

This is an ongoing list where I attempt to do the following: Play, Complete, and Rank every video game in the known universe in order to finally answer the age old question "What is the greatest game of all time?" For previous entries find the links on the attached spreadsheet.

How did I do?

CategoryCompletion level
    Won a ChampionshipYes
    Teams Created19
    Seasons played10 +

This discussion is certainly coming in years too late, but that is certainly my m.o. so I will not apologize. Super Mega Baseball 2 is an Arcadey Baseball game that already has a sequel that probably puts this one to shame. Anyway, lets dive in to the game.

No Caption Provided

As mentioned earlier this is an arcade style Baseball game. It doesn't use real players, real teams, or real arenas and instead you are greeted by a bunch of made up players and teams, ranging from the Crocdons, to the Sirloins. The game has the veneer of being an arcade game, but in reality there is a lot of depth here that you could potentially get lost in, if you wanted to dive that deep. Season mode, can be customizable where you can make it a huge season with dozens of teams in different divisions battling it out, or a small 16 game season for 6 teams to crown a winner. You can select from the teams the game created or create your own, with their own players, logos, and uniforms. Want to re-create the MLB current roster, it might take you awhile, but go ahead. You could then put them all in the season mode and pretend you are playing an officially licensed game. While the season mode is certainly the main one the game is pushing (sorry no franchise), there are single game sets, and an elimination mode (think playoffs) that are customizable as well to include all of your custom work.

The actual playing of Baseball is where the action is, and Mega Baseball gets it incredibly right, by keeping the experience rather simple. Batting at its most basic amounts to simply timing your swing to be able to make contact with the ball. On a very scalable difficulty level (1-100) the easier you set it, the more assistance the CPU will give you in regards to how easy it is to make contact with the ball. Your reticule will automatically raise or lower to follow the trajectory of the ball meaning you only have to worry about timing and whether the pitch is in the strike zone or not to make contact. For pitching, you pick your pitch aim it and then attempt to keep your reticule on the pitch to increase its accuracy. Fielding is controlling the closest fielder and then pushing a face button to correspond to throwing to the right base. Under each part of baseball, the easier you set the difficulty the more assistance the CPU lends, while not ever taking over full control. This is incredibly genius, because two players can be playing at wildly different difficulty and the game adjusts for both.

No Caption Provided

For instance, I was able to "play" with one of my kids, who barely knows his way around a controller and still have a good time as well. I could put his difficulty at a 1, and leave mine in the 70s. When it was his turn to bat, he only had to push the swing button at the right time, and could register a hit, and on my turn I had to not only do the same thing, but manually move my reticule over where the ball was going, and essentially guess what type of pitch was thrown. All stuff he could ignore.

If you want even more control, there are "power" buttons for both batting and pitching that add a couple more intricacies, (more timing), and offer a risk/reward element to the game that you won't get just by using the normal controls. For instance a power pitch will require you to still match your reticule over the ball reticule while it is being thrown, but it gives you less time to react, and should you miss lining things up your accuracy will suffer a lot more, potentially causing you to throw wild pitches or leave a pitch hanging in the strike zone for the batter to crush it.

No Caption Provided

Players can get injured or tired, but they are really only out for a game or two, before they are completely healthy. They also have egos that go up or down based on how well or bad they have been playing, which will again reset should you just want them to take a game or two off. However, outside of the legwork of creating teams (if you do that) once you start a season it is pretty hands off. There are no trades for players, no long term injuries, and really no need to shakeup a roster. For those looking for deep management this is not that game, and sometimes I found myself switching my starting lineup simply to play with other players I created that don't normally get a lot of playing time.

Super Mega Baseball 2 is a blast to play, and this is coming from someone who does not enjoy the sport of baseball. I don't watch it, I don't buy Baseball sim games, etc. The game truly is one of those pick up and play games, and I feel an apt comparison is the NBA Jam equivalent to Baseball. Every time I pick the game up to just play one game, I find myself starting a season the pay over the course of the next week. When I thought I was done making teams, I would get an idea in my head to make another one and see if I can make them champions. To me, there is nothing more enjoyable then creating enough teams and players to fill a season mode and then seeing how they do.

No Caption Provided

Someday I will get Super Mega Baseball 3 or 4, but it will be hard to abandon the HOURS i put into the game just creating 19 different teams. How could I leave behind teams like "the bald beauties" who are a collection of the greatest bald basketball players, or my "Monkey Islanders" who are all characters from the Monkey Island franchise? Sure I could make them again, but I'm already enjoying their antics this time around.

While this game is great, there are features that I could see them expanding on that could make the game even better. A franchise mode or season mode that allows for multiple players would be great. More customizable options for players, logos, etc. However, the core game is there and I don't feel like a lot can really change without steering the game towards a sim instead of its arcade play style, so all of my asks would be around the actual playing of the game, and not the playing of the game.

Is this the greatest game of all time?: No

Where does it rank: It is an extremely fun sports title with a lot of customizable options that can keep you coming back and experimenting if you are into that side of things. However, if you are a huge MLB fan, then this game won't be for you without a huge time commitment for you to manually put the teams and players in. I have placed it as the 18th greatest video game of all time. It comes in below "Yakuza Kiwami 2" and above "Legend of Zelda." I know that its probably sacrilege to rank it above the OG Zelda, but I did.

Up Next: Loco Roco (PS4)

Anyone looking for it: here is the link to the list and more if you are interested in following along with me (this is not a self promotion). Here. I added links on the spreadsheet for quick navigation. Now if you missed a blog of a game you want to read about, you can get to it quickly, rather than having to scroll through my previous blogs wondering when it came up.

Thanks for Listening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.