Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 19, 2012

The deadly futuristic sport of Monday Night Combat returned with a free-to-play sequel, bringing with it new combatants and environments. It was later discontinued on May 24, 2018.

Anybody still playing this game?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

I took a break from this game for most of September, August, and July, and now it seems like player numbers are WAY down. When I checked the top 100 most played Steam games, it isn't even there, which doesn't bode well for a multiplayer game. What happened? Did it take everybody about 3-6 months to get bored of it? Did Dota 2 steal everybody away?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I quit because the actual game was an absolute mess. Matches were always one-sided. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If it wasn't because of clueless players, it was because of leavers. And I don't mean to be rude when I say clueless players, but that's what a lot of players were. People were just flatout ignoring lanes, the Annihilator, enemy pros, abilities, etc etc. It was baffling. Even if you tried to be nice and help people, they would just ignore you or literally start cursing you out for some odd reason.

I don't fully blame the players though as the game, from what I recall, did nothing to try and coach players. It just threw them into the fire and practically said, "good luck." If it was just 1 player here and there then fine, whatever. But if I play 3-4 matches in a row and have 2-3 people on my team every single time who just weren't doing anything except dying for 30 minutes then something is wrong with the game and not just with the players. And I don't mean to sound like an "elitist, pro-gamer wannabe asshole," but seriously...something is very, very wrong when you consistently (and I cannot stress that word enough) have teams getting stomped and players constantly going 0-20.

On top of that, there wasn't any penalty for leaving so people would just leave whenever they felt like it which made matches even more one-sided and ruined any fun anyone might have had.

There are a few other things here and there too, but those were my main problems and why I just had to quit.

edit: Oh yeah, and on top of that, viewing this game in any sort of critical light was a death sentence on the forums. Any time you tried to discuss an issue you had tons of people and even some devs pretty much like, "there's nothing wrong with the game. It's just you." That's not that much different than discussing something on the DotA2 forums mind you, but I think when you have a game gasping for breath like this one, you might wanna pay a bit more attention...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

@BabyChooChoo said:

I quit because the actual game was an absolute mess. Matches were always one-sided. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If it wasn't because of clueless players, it was because of leavers. And I don't mean to be rude when I say clueless players, but that's what a lot of players were. People were just flatout ignoring lanes, the Annihilator, enemy pros, abilities, etc etc. It was baffling. Even if you tried to be nice and help people, they would just ignore you or literally start cursing you out for some odd reason.

I don't fully blame the players though as the game, from what I recall, did nothing to try and coach players. It just threw them into the fire and practically said, "good luck." If it was just 1 player here and there then fine, whatever. But if I play 3-4 matches in a row and have 2-3 people on my team every single time who just weren't doing anything except dying for 30 minutes then something is wrong with the game and not just with the players. And I don't mean to sound like an "elitist, pro-gamer wannabe asshole," but seriously...something is very, very wrong when you consistently (and I cannot stress that word enough) have teams getting stomped and players constantly going 0-20.

On top of that, there wasn't any penalty for leaving so people would just leave whenever they felt like it which made matches even more one-sided and ruined any fun anyone might have had.

There are a few other things here and there too, but those were my main problems and why I just had to quit.

I was one of those clueless players. These kinds of games need a tutorial or the system that Valve uses for TF2 because this game in particular presents itself as a more accessible form of MOBA. It was always going to be one of the first games that complete neophytes like me were going to jump in to get a sense of the concept, and lo and behold we start unintentionally ruining people's games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BisonHero
    @adam1808 Yeah, as much as SMNC is Dota-lite with shorter matches, there is still strategy and certain conventions you must follow in terms of self preservation, and a lot of players seemed to think they were playing Halo deathmatch and it's no big deal to just run forward and die constantly. I was never great at SMNC, but I at least generally avoided feeding, though sometimes the result was that I was too safe and didn't help my team push enough.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Losses are so hard when you have leavers. I want to play it, but I'm just feeling burnt out on competitive multiplayer games in general.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Huey2k2

I put almost 200 hours into the game for a few months before they accidentally released it on Steam, for the first week or two after release it was nice because I generally was stomping almost every game I got into because most people were new. Eventually it evened out a little and half the players were good, but the other half were absolutely clueless as to how the game works and what to do to win. If you tried to help people they either ignored you, or cursed you out. If someone on your team was feeding, they would leave a couple minutes into the match because they would get frustrated that they were dying over and over.

All this said I am not trying to lay blame on the people who were bad at the game, because the game was horrendous at actually teaching you how to play it, and most players would come in assuming they could just CoD their way through it, and would end up destroying the experience for people that actually knew how to play. Basically the game was no fun for anyone unless you were playing with friends who knew what they were doing, and at that point, you never lost because there was very little challenge, or you would get paired up with another premade that was inevitably way better than you and would just stomp you. You rarely if ever got anything even close to a competitive match in.

When you got into a good competitive match, the game was amazing, the problem is those matches were so few and far between that it was simply not worth wading through all the crap to get to them.

Maybe it is different now, but I don't really really feel confident enough to jump back in to find out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Played this game for a few but haven't touched it since maybe the month after it came out. Would be cool if we could get a community thing going for this game. Jumped back in briefly today and game looks kinda dead compared to when I played it before.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many others have said, this game badly, badly, badly needed the time to make a really engaging helpful tutorial. Not lame text that puts me off either, I needed fun videos of the mascot explaining the concept of a third person DOTA style game, what to do, what NOT to do etc. I've played League of Legends and I was confused by this game.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i played it for a long time. but the community died out. found myself playing with the same people over and over. just decided it was time to leave i guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.