Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 19, 2012

The deadly futuristic sport of Monday Night Combat returned with a free-to-play sequel, bringing with it new combatants and environments. It was later discontinued on May 24, 2018.

Sudden change in skill level

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Has anyone else experienced this? After hitting level 20, almost everyone on the teams have characters who are not unlocked for free for the week, and have loads of costumes unlocked.

Before level 20 I used to be top of my team consistently with a good K/D ratio and lots of bot kills but now I hardly ever get a postive K/D and am almost never top of my team.

I know im being a bit hypocritical but it's not as fun anymore for obvious reasons, and this game is seriously rage inducing, like the worst for it. Think im going to pop a blood vessel

Edit: I took some advice and decided to main one pro, I chose assassin, i find most other pro's boring and some like the veteran I just cannot use. Its been going pretty good and assassin is a really fun class!

salomdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By salomdi

its very normal.

level 20 is the point at which you get chucked out of the newbie pool, and into the open matchmaking system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah I started 31-17, feeling pretty good about myself. Since then 9-17. Good thing diablo came out when it did.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@salomdi: But why are there no people like me?! Just crazy mo-fo's that spend $50 on costumes that do nothing and who knows how much on boosts to buy endorsements and products.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blueduck

"I can't kill bad people anymore. Should I quit the game?"

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

Its ok man. it hit me like a freight train as well. I recommend going on the official forums and getting some tips for your class of choice and simply focus on not dying. It just takes some knowledge and practice. i still don't top the scoreboard for my team, but i can at least get a decent k/d ratio most of the time.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

This is how free to play games seem to work in my experience. Tribes Ascend was this way too.

It causes people to quit and not get any better, resulting in a greater disparity between hardcore and casual. When will f2p devs realize there needs to be multiple "beginner" tiers instead of alienating the people who don't have the time or money to force their way in?

@blueduck said:

"I can't kill bad people anymore. Should I quit the game?"
    "I took something out of context for the express purpose of making myself look like a douche"
    joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By joeq1159

It's hard to adjust to actual play beyond level 20 because from 1- 20 no one has any idea what they're doing. And having a costume says absolutely nothing about a players skill level. Or having a non rotation pro unlocked. Learn to play your character, and you'll be fine. Even if there's a feeder on my team I'm usually doing well enough so that it doesn't effect me at all. Might mean I have to carry the team but hey, if you can might as well. Also play with people who know what theyre doing. Playing with a team of people who know what they're doing changes so much.

salomdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By salomdi

certain cotumes do specify good players (battle damaged CTS for example)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

The only difference I noticed is the people who don't know what they are doing stick out like a sore thumb. If you are playing long enough to hit level 20 you should prob learn how to play your class correctly. Endorsements and Products can't ever replace skill in this game. You can't buy you way to god status.

Chim21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chim21

Use more skill?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By chilibean_3

Same thing happened to me. At that point you actually have to learn how to play instead of just spamming your favorite ability and relying on basic shooter skills. I was really confused when all of a sudden I was struggling just to keep from embarrassing myself. Just take some time to learn how to actually build your character and use the other skills and you should slowly start getting better. I feel like I finally turned a corner and have started working my way up to "less embarrassing" now.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mosdl

K/D is hardly a good metric in the game. If you are dying way too often, slow down and group up more.

ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By ninjatuned

This happened to me as well.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Seems like there should be a mid-tier for matchmaking.  The skill difference between 20-100+ is pretty immense.  It's like getting tossed from the kiddie pool to an acid sea filled with sharks.

I actually thought it was because all of the TF2 hat hunters had left (anyone else notice that there's been about 1000-2000 less people playing?) but reaching level 20 makes more sense.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owack6

From experience the matchmaking is not divided almost at all after 20 but instead just unlocks all players for play, so you still get easy fights even after a 100 hours of play against people who clearly just started playing and getting steam rolled, its a new game and the team clearly havent spent a lot of time balancing this part of the game.

Stick with the game it gets really fun at a slightly higher skill level against teams who push you back and forth, some amazing 40+ minute matches have been played like that.

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By McBradders

Sound advice in this thread.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Foil1212

I was the same way. A very high win/loss ratio, then getting crushed over and over. Now I'm back to 50%% and I know what I need to improve on with my character (as well as what I need to purchase to get the optimal build)

Yagya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yagya

There does seem to be a brick wall, in terms of a skill curve. I'm almost level 30 now and every game is a toss up. Either I lose really bad or I'm the best on my team (based on the in-game scoreboard), but we still lose, often times hard.

I got one of my friends hooked, but we hardly play together. Also it doesn't help that they messed with the grouping system, so sometimes you end up against a whole clan on the opposing team, who then procede to DOMINATE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.