Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

How does the SNES Controler Pad feel?

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mendelson9

I have a strange question. I recently hooked up all my retro consoles to a new CRT TV I got and was playing some Super Nintendo games. I noticed that the D-Pad on the controller feels...mushy. I does not 'click' like my NES controller or even the N64 controller. Is this the way its supposed to be. Normally I would think that its not and it needs to be clean but both of my SNES controllers feel the exact way.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

It's old as hell, I'd expect most of them to feel that way by now.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bishna

I might be mistaken, but I believe it is kinda supposed to be like that. Maybe it is not as firm as it used to be, but I never really remember it being clicky. Though I was like 5 when my SNES was new, so I could be completely wrong.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Age certainly isn't helping, unless you've kept them under the cleanest of conditions over the years.

But as for how they were meant to feel way back when... I want to say that they were never clicky. But it's been so long since I've used a non-old/crappy SNES controller (crappy as in condition) that I can't be certain.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

IIRC, the SNES pad did feel mushy. The NES pad definitely had a much more defined feel to the directions but I may be misremembering the SNES one.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By posh

the mushiness helps with those quarter-circles on street fighter. i actually got a third party one recently and it's not mushy enough, so i can't do shit on street fighter

Syphous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Syphous

I played a loooooooooooot of SNES, and I remember the D-pad being 'squishy'. It definitely wasn't as stiff as the NES.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.