Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Just got a Super Nintendo

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Hey, Duders

I just got a super clean SNES with the hook ups, one controller, and the following games: The legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past, F-zero, and Super Mario World. I wanted to just start small and build a snes collection over time. I'm no where near old enough to have played or appreciated any of these games but i figure I can turn this into a cool side hobby. I realize that some of these games are cheaper on wii u's eshop but I'm going for like a vinyl music collecting thing. I like the feel of a cartridge, it feels tangible. I know it's illogical but everybody has their quirks. What are some games and accessories that you can recommend for me to purchase next? I was thinking about getting a second controller and getting Street fighter 2 Turbo/Mortal Kombat II or III, nba jam:tournament edition, and one bigger ticket game like a super metriod, Super Castlevania 4, or turtles in time. I have given thought to getting into RPG's like FF3 (or 6 if you want to be a dick about it), Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger, although original carts for those games are an arm and a leg so those may take some time to get. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Swap meets and garage sales are some things you might want to check out. Most of the times you might be able to get one of these on the cheap cause the seller doesn't know how hard to come by some of these carts might be.

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a nice deal you have.

How much did it cost?

I suggest getting tmnt: turtles in time and yohi's island

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: I paid $120 to get a good, clean snes with those three games and the one controller. I paid out 30 for Zelda but only paid 15 and 10 for Mario and F-zero. I could've paid less for a console but I wanted to have something that was in great shape so that I can put off having to do a hydrogen peroxide bath or get a new console if the first one is gross on the insides. Haven't given much thought to yoshi's island maybe it's ok, we'll see. I wanted to get turtles in time but at 35-40 dollars I heard that that game is super short. It's a brawler and a co-op one at that so maybe there's some replay value that isn't apparent.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

Game suggestions:

• Super Mario Kart;
    • Zombies;
    • Super Star Wars;
    • Super Empire Strikes Back;
    • Super Return of The Jedi;
    • Clocktower;
    • Goof Troop;
    • Super Castlevania IV;
    • Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss;
    • MechWarrior;
    • Rock and Roll Racing;
    • Illusion of Gaia;
    • Super Mario All-Stars;
    • Final Fantasy VI;
    • Final Fantasy IV;
    • Terranigma;
    • Chrono Trigger;
    • Secret of Evermore;
    • Secret of Mana;
    • Final Fight.

Cool games are also:

• Pitfall: A Mayan Adventure;
    • The Mask;
    • Star Fox;
    • Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow.
    laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not so interested in those star wars games but Super Mario Kart is a game that I'm more interested in. I want to play a little before I buy because the flatness of it isn't doing it for me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeust

@laxbro19 said:

not so interested in those star wars games but Super Mario Kart is a game that I'm more interested in. I want to play a little before I buy because the flatness of it isn't doing it for me.

And about TMNT: Turtles in Time, I've played it to completion, and it isn't a short game. It is resonably long, with variety, in a good number of levels. It is a good game.

You could try roms first, for the games you're interested in.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do what I did. Randomly search eBay for a snes Tetris game and find Tetris Battle Gaiden fo16way under market value because it has been a while since GB played it. Then get a game genie to mod so you can play Super famicom games on it. Oh and Donkey Kong Country 2 is dope but I had it as a kid so I may be bias.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think Super Castlevania IV should be your big ticket item, but that's because I'm a massive fan of that series.

For a cheap game, get Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It's hard as fuck, but once you get used to it it plays great, looks and sounds great for an early SNES game, and feels incredibly rewarding to get even somewhat good at.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

If you want a racing game, look no further than Nigel Mansell's World Championship. Really solid. Also yes, you should get Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart and maybe pick up Mario All Stars if you don't have it yet.

This has made me want to go on a SNES cart buying spree now... I have this SNES and only a handful of games...

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By burgavo

Congrats dude, I still have my original and hook it up from time to time, but it's looking rather yellow these days.

Some games I would recommend that haven't been mentioned yet:

Super Contra (or in my case super probotector), if your into coop brawler type games Sunset riders, If you want an MK game go for Ultimate MK3, If you want to play some of the more well known rpg's on the snes also check out shadow run, if you ever end up with a super scope (which would be pretty hard to use on a modern TV) the T2 arcade game is pretty fun (don't try to play it with a controller though) and Metal Combat was pretty fun aswell, for some coop racing action check out Rock and Roll racing, and for puzzle/rpg gaming check out lost vikings.

and if you dig super mario world and want more mario action track down a copy of super mario all stars all the nes mario games including japanese mario 2.

anyway that's all I can think of off the top of my head that hadn't been mentioned yet, have fun duder!

Edit: if you end up going for a copy of SF2 look for either the super or turbo versions as they have either more characters or play significantly faster, also there's this sweet opening cutscene/animation for super: Hadouken

Rubberchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need Super Metroid in your life.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You'd probably do well to get the Super Game Boy peripheral. That thing is pretty great.

And, of course, Mario Paint. That cart should just come with every SNES. If somebody sells a SNES without Mario Paint, they should face criminal charges.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: That super game boy thing was great.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how everyone outside America is a dick because America was behind in the localisation of FF6.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust: Ok. I had seen the video they did where they played snes games all day and Patrick was saying that when that game came out he and his friends beat it in an hour and a half and his mom complained to nintendo support about how short it was for an $80 game, so I was a little skeptical on it. But if you say it has real legs then I feel better about whenever I pick that up.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Both of those things I want. I have a bunch of the Pokemon games and I thought it was cool when the Pokemon Stadium games let you slap your copy of Pokemon yellow into the pack under the controller and play that game in big ass stereo sound on the TV. F-this I'm going to go play a match of Pokemon Stadium. Then make a super intense painting about it in mario paint.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeust

@laxbro19 said:

@jeust: Ok. I had seen the video they did where they played snes games all day and Patrick was saying that when that game came out he and his friends beat it in an hour and a half and his mom complained to nintendo support about how short it was for an $80 game, so I was a little skeptical on it. But if you say it has real legs then I feel better about whenever I pick that up.

It's not a very long game, but it lasts hours (I don't know how many exactly as I played many years ago), and the animation is really cool, each turtle has its moves, and it's a fun game. It's considered by many the best Turtles game.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let's see...if you just got a SNES, I'd say the must-haves are:

• Sunset Riders
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG
    • Mortal Kombat II
    • Turtles in Time
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    • Battletoads Vs. Double Dragon
    • Gradius III
    • Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    • Mega Man X
    • Kirby's Avalanche
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Harvest Moon. The SNES version is the original version and it still holds up.

No Caption Provided
    hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laxbro19: I enjoyed both of the games

Tmnt is short but it's a game that you can keep playing over and over again

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.