Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

SNES Classic Game Plan

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Rumors are circulating that a SNES Classic is in development, surprising no one. I'm curious on what you Duder's game plan is to acquire one. I've never waited in line for a console on release, but this might change that. Especially after what happened with the NES Classic.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like the looks of the hardware, but I could not care less about the games that actually came in the NES one except for maybe three. I gave a sinking suspicion that any of the games people really want (and there are a lot on SNES) aren't going to be included in the package as Nintendo would much rather make 3-5 bucks a pop on digital versions.

So I guess that's my way of saying I will stick to my bootleg dual loader that plays NES and SNES and just pick up actual carts I care to own. Like Kirby's Avalanche.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By notnert427

The game plan? Based on the NES Classic's life cycle, Nintendo is probably going to manufacture roughly 500 of these that all sell out immediately to low-rent scalpers who don't have time commitments of jobs/life like the rest of us and can be at Best Buy the second they open for the one unit they get in stock, who will turn around and plop it on Amazon for about 5x the retail price, until Nintendo discontinues it without ceremony to begin production on N64 Classics.

So, my game plan is to tell Nintendo and the secondary market to fuck right off.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Lv4Monk
    @ragnar_mike said:

I really like the looks of the hardware, but I could not care less about the games that actually came in the NES one except for maybe three. I gave a sinking suspicion that any of the games people really want (and there are a lot on SNES) aren't going to be included in the package as Nintendo would much rather make 3-5 bucks a pop on digital versions.

So I guess that's my way of saying I will stick to my bootleg dual loader that plays NES and SNES and just pick up actual carts I care to own. Like Kirby's Avalanche.

I mostly agree with you but yo, this is a seller's market for SNES games these days. Shit's expensive. Actually contemplating a purge of my lesser appreciated games for these crazy prices.

Shhhhhh, Papa's not talking about my little X3.

Nothing's gonna come between us...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

How I plan to acquire a SNES Classic:

1. Check Amazon
    2. Add to Cart
    3. Purchase

in the event I cannot complete Step 2, here is my alternate plan:

1. Give up
    2. Build a Raspberry Pi

I'm not gonna play Nintendo's stupid ass mindgames no matter how much I want one of these.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll buy one assuming I can find one for a decent price and the games on it are decent.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ragnar_mike: I think you are confusing games you (and the hardcore audience that visits video game websites/forums/etc.) want with games the mainstream public wants. Based on the titles on the NES Classic you can expect that they will have Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Kirby Superstar and Donkey Kong Country (possibly the whole series). On top of that they already showed they have relationships with 3rd parties so they may be able to pull in stuff like Final Fantasy III (or VI if you want to get technical), Crono Trigger, Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV. For the general public those are going to be enough to sell the system. Nintendo put their big names on the NES Classic and I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing this time around.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wouldn't mind seeing NBA Jam or Ultimate MK3 on it but I think that is asking a bit too much. But hey, if it can be cracked wide open like the NES mini was it shouldn't be too hard to add those if you already have the ROMs *evil laugh*

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's going to happen. SNES third party licensing is probably much harder to obtain than the NES stuff was. Not to mention Nintendo could make more off those juicy, juicy SNES classics like Super Metroid and A Link to the Past sold individually on the Switch. Which is likely the reason they've discontinued the Classic as well, despite hordes of people still trying to get a hold of it. Screw Nintendo. They won't be seeing my money anytime soon. We still haven't even gotten a Switch release in Korea anyway.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope I can get a JP or even EU version, I much prefer that enclosure to the US one. It will be nice to hack and put the Correct games on if it does materialize.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sinusoidal: I really don't see how it any different to license than NES titles. Capcom and Square will be game at least.

Also I totally like the NA model over the Japan/Euro one.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If work doesn't stop me, I will be at a store around 10:30 pm (or earlier) standing in line, or making a line.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah i'm good.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By None_Braver

Building a Raspberry Pi RetroPi should be everyone's first choice. For $80 you can get every single SNES game you'd ever want.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MOAB

I have NES and SNES controllers plugged into my PC and I can emulate pretty much anything I want. There are so many better options out there for people that want easy access to old games on their TV. I don't understand how this appeals to anyone other than people who haven't touched a console since they were a kid.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

How I plan to acquire a SNES Classic:

1. Check Amazon
    2. Add to Cart
    3. Purchase

in the event I cannot complete Step 2, here is my alternate plan:

1. Give up
    2. Build a Raspberry Pi

I'm not gonna play Nintendo's stupid ass mindgames no matter how much I want one of these.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one I would consider buying, but I will probably only play Mario World, but it will be a more convenient way to do my regular replay of that masterpiece. Everything else is bonus.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JamesFargoth

They should do S-video or component out. I'd love to use a CRT. Until then my modded Wii is perfect.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Same thing I did for my NES classic, pre order it at Amazon. Worked fine the first time so that's what I'll do this time.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already have a Raspberry Pi 3. I haven't touched it in a while, but I found the input lag kind of bad on the two LCD I tried it on, game mode or not.

If I saw one in the wild while I was already shopping, I'd probably impulse buy it. Otherwise, no. I'm good.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sparkysanxion

@tatsuyarr: yep..me too.

Ordered on Amazon. Got it launch day. Hopefully will be as easy this time too.

I have a PI running retropie, so I don't actually use it to play the games on, but it's just a nice thing to have. SNES was more my thing, as I never had an NES back in the day, so an even nicer thing to have, for me at least.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By dethfish

My SNES still works fine, so I'll just stick with that. VC on the Wii U, and presumably the Switch when it happens, is a good backup.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My plan is to tell Nintendo to eat shit for never manufacturing enough of anything they ever release ever

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.