Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Super Famicom Setup Question

amadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Super Famicom, and while I haven't received it yet, I'm confused as to an aspect of setting it up.

Question is can I plug it into a US outlet and be ok? I've read conflicting reports that say it's fine to do so, others say I need a step-down voltage transformer. Anyone have any experience with this?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

Japan uses 100 ro 110V, US 120V. The difference is small enough that it should be fine. US doesbn't produce a full 120V anyway.

If you were UK it would be 240V and a step down might be needed. Although I had a Jap Megadrive in the UK and you just nedded a UK transformer/power brick.

Check the label on the AC adapter, the official ones are usually rated 100-120V anyway,

amadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the help.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By YoungFrey

I won't speak to an old device like the Super Famicom, but with modern devices like the 3DS, the device internals are the same, and only the power converter is different. So a US cord in a US outlet going into a Japanese device is 100% ok. Using a Japanese cord in a US outlet going to a Japanese device has some risk if the power isn't fully on spec.

At least with the Super Famicom, it's easy to buy one lacking cords. Then you just choose to buy the right cord.

amadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, sorry to ask again, but I've got one more question. I assume the video cable for it is RGB componenet (that's what it looked like) so using a component to HDMI should be fine correct?

amadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm new to this. Sorry for the questions that probably have obvious answers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.