Super Robot Wars L is the seventh Super Robot Wars game for the Nintendo DS and the third traditional, anime-based game. Many of the anime featured in this game appeared in the previous three traditional GBA/DS games; however, the developer claims that the animations for those returning series will be improved upon. Like Super Robot Wars K, the roster is primarily new-school; the only series predating the '00s are Endless Waltz, Combattler V/Voltes V, and the debuting Iczer OVAs.
A list of the anime series that are featured in the game. Anime that debut in this game are marked with "(new)".
- New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Mazinkaiser (OVA version)
- Mazinkaiser vs. The Great General of Darkness
- Super Electromagnetic Robot Combattler V
- Super Electromagnetic Machine Voltes V
- Fight! Iczer One (new)
- Iczer Reborn (new)
- Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!
- Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! Second Season
- Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
- Kotetsushin Jeeg
- Rebuild of Evangelion (new)
- Dancougar Nova (new)
- Macross Frontier (new)
- Linebarrels of Iron (new)
Partner Battle System
- Each unit has a "Partner Bonus" which raises the stats of its team.
- Partners can be swapped between teams by moving adjacent to another unit.
- "Individual Attack" allows the Main unit to attack the enemy's Main unit and the Sub unit to attack the enemy's Sub unit. (Similar to Super Robot Wars Z's Wide Formation)
- If a Main unit and its Sub unit attack and the Main unit is destroyed, the Sub unit continues to attack. (In previous games, battle ends once a Main unit is destroyed).
- Classic-style Support returns for single units. (In K, it was impossible for anyone except a Partner Unit to Support)
- For the first time since Super Robot Wars 2G, there are no equipable items.
- For a sizeable portion of the game, unit upgrades are limited to 5 points each. Eventually this will rise to the standard 10.
- The 'favourite series' system is not making a return.