Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

Strap on your fighting shoes and get ready to brawl on the Wii in the third installment of the Super Smash Bros. series.

Items Yes/No

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By murat8

So do u like fighting with or withough items?

I personally hate items when i play

AnimeBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By AnimeBeast

I play with all items but hammers.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes for items. It makes the game so much more crazy.

Silby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Silby

Items are highly debated and I'll try to be as intelligent about this as possible.  In the end, it depends on how you plan on playing the game and is purely preference.  There is no "best" option for items, it's just how you plan on playing the game.  That being said...

So right off the bat I'll say that I play Brawl competitively.  I'm not good, but I do play it 3-stock, no items, and only the boring stages.  I do this not because I want to limit aspects of the game, but because I enjoy playing Brawl as a fighting game.  If you put Brawl into perspective as a fighting game, items quickly limit skill.  They reward the faster characters with power ups that create an even more unfair advantage that does not require the technical skill I'm looking for in a match (e.g. curry, hammers, smashball, etc).  Even simple items like the fan, bat, or light sword can be abused for heavy damage that wouldn't be obtained in a match without items.  By adding items, you are less likely to use the simpler aerials or tilts that are no longer useful in an items match.

Items make the game more crazy and more fun for the masses, but if you plan on playing it competitively with other hardcore gamers, I would personally turn them off.  Completely.

However just because I play competitively without items doesn't mean you can't play competitively WITH items.  EVO, a large scale tournament organizer for Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, SF3, and SF2 Turbo added Brawl to their tournament roster this year including some items in the ruleset.  A lot of the competitive community for Brawl has boycotted these tournaments while others say "I will attend, but only to support the competitive scene and debate items in person".  For those curious, their allowed items are: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, and Franklin Badge.

To conclude, I personally play without items.  But honestly?  Do whatever you have the most fun doing.  Play to have fun.  End of story.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Termite
    Silby said:
    "Items are highly debated and I'll try to be as intelligent about this as possible.  In the end, it depends on how you plan on playing the game and is purely preference.  There is no "best" option for items, it's just how you plan on playing the game.  That being said...

So right off the bat I'll say that I play Brawl competitively.  I'm not good, but I do play it 3-stock, no items, and only the boring stages.  I do this not because I want to limit aspects of the game, but because I enjoy playing Brawl as a fighting game.  If you put Brawl into perspective as a fighting game, items quickly limit skill.  They reward the faster characters with power ups that create an even more unfair advantage that does not require the technical skill I'm looking for in a match (e.g. curry, hammers, smashball, etc).  Even simple items like the fan, bat, or light sword can be abused for heavy damage that wouldn't be obtained in a match without items.  By adding items, you are less likely to use the simpler aerials or tilts that are no longer useful in an items match.

Items make the game more crazy and more fun for the masses, but if you plan on playing it competitively with other hardcore gamers, I would personally turn them off.  Completely.

However just because I play competitively without items doesn't mean you can't play competitively WITH items.  EVO, a large scale tournamnet organizer for Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, SF3, and SF2 Turbo added Brawl to their tournament roster this year including some items in the ruleset.  A lot of the competitive community for Brawl has boycotted these tournaments while others say "I will attend, but only to supper the competitive scene and debate items in person".  For those curious, their allowed items are: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, and Franklin Badge.

To conclude, I personally play without items.  But honestly?  Do whatever you have the most fun doing.  Play to have fun.  End of story.
    "
    This man beat me to making an intelligent post, thus I will simply make a post referring to his post...like this
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

The only time I don't like playing with items is when it's a 1 on 1, I just don't feel like I'm having fun playing with items in a 1 on 1... but when there's at least 3 people... items can get pretty fun with the mayhem that can get started.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Items are what makes Brawl...well, Brawl for me.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By murat8
    Silby said:
    "Items are highly debated and I'll try to be as intelligent about this as possible.  In the end, it depends on how you plan on playing the game and is purely preference.  There is no "best" option for items, it's just how you plan on playing the game.  That being said...

However just because I play competitively without items doesn't mean you can't play competitively WITH items.  EVO, a large scale tournament organizer for Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, SF3, and SF2 Turbo added Brawl to their tournament roster this year including some items in the ruleset.  A lot of the competitive community for Brawl has boycotted these tournaments while others say "I will attend, but only to support the competitive scene and debate items in person".  For those curious, their allowed items are: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, and Franklin Badge.

"
    very good post and i agree compleatly i used to love items in melee but now that i mainly play one on one items seem to get in the way but when 4 peole play their really fun so yea if u have more fun with them go ahead have fun
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By ArcBorealis

I always play with items. I only play for fun, so items make the game more fun and entertaining.

boxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By boxman

only when i have at least 3 ppl

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Rio

no items, I have more fun being competitive than screwing around.   Every once in a while we play with items to mess about but its not usually my decision.

I'd appreciate it if no one argued the point, If you have more fun playing a certain way than play that way.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Dark_Link142

It doesn't matter to me either way. Items can be a lot of fun and using them right is key as well. They add another level of depth and strategy to the game. Although a downside is that random chance is thrown into the match if items are turned on. Bob-ombs can spawn right above you and kill you with a blink of an eye.

Still, playing without items means more all out action and proving your skill with whatever character you're using. There's two sides to the whole argument. Either way, it's still a lot of fun.

Foxillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Foxillusion

My friends and I turn them off, except for the smash ball. Something about it is just... different from other items. It takes some degree of skill to use each character's finisher effectively, not to mention you can drop the ball any time you're hit while waiting for that good opening. Each one is so custom to each character it just seems almost like part of their moveset... and wouldn't seem right to me to exclude. I don't know... I get why people aren't always for the smash ball. We always use it though.

Mardarkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mardarkin

I like to switch it up.  My friends and I play Brawl for hours at a time, usually allowing for lots of different rounds and modes.

In tournaments, or in very competitive matches between two friends who want to prove themselves, items are always off.  That is the best way, since there is very little left to the element of chance - no hammers or instant kills that might skew the results in the favour of the undeserving.  If you want a test of fighting skill, this is the way, and the area in which I excel the most.

One of the good things about Brawl is the ability to have zero items on, except for the Smash Ball.  It's hard not to mark out for any number of the awesome finishing moves, so we often play with just this one on.  At times I get frustrated, to be in the middle of a last life battle, only for my opponent to go Super Sonic or Giga Bowser and make losing a certainty for me.  But this gametype is more for fun.

And the items are all pretty fun for a 4-player romp.  But I will never tolerate items being on any setting higher than "low", when it becomes a blinding spam-fest.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By HazBazz
    murat8 said:
    "So do u like fighting with or withough items?I personally hate items when i play"
    let me guess, you're favorite stage is Final Destination?
    murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By murat8
    HazBazz said:
    "murat8 said:
    "So do u like fighting with or withough items?I personally hate items when i play"
    let me guess, you're favorite stage is Final Destination?
    "
    Meh battlefield is but FD is OK its great for 3-4 people
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subway

It's mad boring without items.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sdodd02

yes

Pezjulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Pezjulo

I always play with items on...although by request of some of my friends we sometimes turn off the smash ball and the fan

DanCarmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By DanCarmichael
    Silby said:

"
    What he said.

I do enjoy an all out crazy game though. You have to admit, the rush for the smash ball can be hilarious.
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By kenzo287

i love the items i mean they put them in there to mix things up so why shouldn't we use them? but i can play either way

Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Kokoro

I use items sometimes, but I tend to play more without them.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rockanomics

I haven't played Brawl, but in Melee, it was basically like this.

When everybody was over playing, items on.

When it was 1v1 with my friend who introduced me to the tourny concept, items off.

It was simply a question of if the people that were playing were akin to party games or skill play.

theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By theshadow027

I use items occasionally but mostly against computers. I don't really like using them against people because I'd rather Brawl with them with skill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.