Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

How is it on other controllers?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Belegorm

Hey all I didn't manage to get a hold of the game + gamecube controller + adaptor bundle so I picked up the game by itself and haven't opened it yet. I saw yesterday the bundle available on amazon so figured I'd return the game and order that bundle. After getting home from work late the bundle was sold out! :(

My question is, I have a pro controller (though only one so my friends are outta luck), so should I play with this, or do you guys find the good ole' gamecube controller to be so integral to the experience that I should not open this game, hope the bundle shows up on amazon again, and return my copy?

Probably it'd be okay for me on this thing since I probably sunk the most hours into the original with the n64 controller.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I organised a little Smash launch party last night with my buddies and did some 8 players smash with a single Gamecube controller adapter. Which means that we had 4 GC controllers, 3 Wii U Pro controller the game pad. We played all night and the general consensus was that unless you are really really REALLY into Smash to the point of bieng able to do all the advanced technical stuff in your sleep and could handle yourself at EVO or something, the Wii U pro controller is fine. Sure, if you're a long time Smash player, the GC controller feels more natural but the Wii U Pro controller is still great controller for this game. You can customize the button layout to your liking (I switch the shied and grab buttons).

Dr_Beaverah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been temporarily using the gamepad. Honestly, I've gotten really used to it. Works just fine.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no reason to use the GCN controller. Maybe you like how it feels in your hand or you're used to it, but it's far from integral.

cowsnipers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you put most of your smash bros. playing time into the N64 version, you really shouldn't have a problem with the Pro Controller. I personally prefer to use the GC controller because I've mostly played Project M on my wii with the GC controller, but I've played smash 4 with a pro controller at times and have had no issues.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

@dr_beaverah said:

I've been temporarily using the gamepad. Honestly, I've gotten really used to it. Works just fine.

Same here. The gamepad/tablet is great for me once I flipped how the R/ZR and L/ZL buttons worked. I just need to remember to use my name when I pick characters and I'm good to go.

cowsnipers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myketuna said:

@dr_beaverah said:

Same here. The gamepad/tablet is great for me once I flipped how the R/ZR and L/ZL buttons worked. I just need to remember to use my name when I pick characters and I'm good to go.

How is the gamepad's screen when playing? I've been meaning to try it out so I can let other people watch TV while I play.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I really like the GC controller cause of the 8 gates of the controller. A lot of the time on 3DS, I would try to do up B and mess it up and get side B. Being able to feel the edges is nice.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played a bit last night with somebody that used a 3ds as a controller and he said he was experiencing noticeable latency (more so, he said, than when playing 3ds to 3ds), which doesn't surprise me all that much. He tried sitting nearer to the Wii U and, not too sure how big an impact that made, but he stopped complaining about it and he did seem to start playing better. Still, it's entirely possible he just got accustomed to the latency.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@myketuna said:

@dr_beaverah said:

How is the gamepad's screen when playing? I've been meaning to try it out so I can let other people watch TV while I play.

The gamepad is more or less fine. It's definitely a downgrade from full HD and I would advise AGAINST trying to play 8 Player Smash on it (I did and it was tough to see what the hell was going on). Other than that, if I play on my tablet, I'll play 1 v 1 against a computer or online and it's more or less great. Playing it on a TV is still the best and preferred option though.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Played a bunch using the pro controller and it felt great.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm using the Gamepad right now because the adapters are sold out everywhere. It works really great and it actually very comfortable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.