Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Super Smash Bros bricking & wiping Wii U's?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

A new problem has surfaced with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, with many players encountering error code 160-0103. This error code seems to almost be appearing at random for some players, and with no real clues so far as to why this this error has been occurring for some players.

Some of the experiences with the error code and ideas as to why it is occurring have been shared in the comments of the video. The common idea is that the error comes from the update data from the game, and not the Wii U itself. It seems that this error only shows up with SuperSmash Bros., and all other games and functions work fine until you play Smash Bros. or try to enter the Data Management page on the Wii U. When trying to enter the Data Management page, people have been receiving the error code 160-1710.

This error can also wipe all memory from your Wii U system, and can cause your system to brick. Many people who have encountered this problem have called Nintendo, and their suggestion was to either format the system and/or send it to them for repairs. It seems that reformatting the system is what causes it to brick, though, so it is not suggested. Many people have also claimed that this happens after playing For Glory mode and starting their system up again.

It does seem that Nintendo is aware of the issue and is unsure on how to fix it, but we will have to wait for their official word on the issue.

Source: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/new-smash-bros.-for-wii-u-error-can-leave-the-game-unplayable

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well this is terrifying.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well there goes every Wii U in existence.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

So if you own Smash Bros and plan on playing it ever again you should disconnect your Wii U from the internet immediately. Got it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Oh god.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think back to that thread about how this game launched with perfect online while Sony and Microsoft were falling apart. I'm not on any one console's side but that's funny. Now all three are busted for Christmas!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I would shit my pants if this happened to me.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By justicejanitor

I've done some quick research and apparently the error code 160-010 has been around since the Wii U's launch. It's a system memory error and probably something wrong with the hardware itself. It's being popping up more often more since Smash released because, guess what? More people are playing on the Wii U and they are playing Smash. It's not a Smash issue, it's a defective Wii U issue.

Granted, I could be completely wrong on this but that's what it looks like to me.

Here's a reddit thread on the issue.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that thread where someone posted about how awesome it was that Smash Bros. worked right out of the box?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justicejanitor: Well yes but there must be a reason as to why Smash Bros is triggering this more often than any other Wii U game. I've read to stay away from For Glory mode just to be sure.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: It's because that's what everyone is playing right now and because the kind of people who play Smash Bros tend to be the kind of people who go on gaming websites and talk about that kind of stuff and that's why we are seeing more of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@justicejanitor: Not saying this problem is exclusively with Smash, but if there's 7 million Wii U's in the wild and 3 million copies of Mario Kart 8, don't you think the amount of people reporting bricked consoles and formatting problems should be a lot higher?

At the very least, it seems Smash is giving a higher chance of getting the error.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam

yaay something else for people to get angry about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.