Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 07, 2018

The Switch debut of Nintendo's flagship fighting game series brings together every character from the series' history, bringing the roster to over 70 fighters.

Super Smash Brothers is adding Minecraft Steve

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As a character I think it's both kind of obvious and not really interesting at least to me. Minecraft is a huge franchise, of course, and has a very distinct visual style, but while Steve is iconic (and they're adding some other Minecraft characters, presumably as skins) he's also a total cipher and I have no attachment to him. Maybe people who grew up with Minecraft do? There are books, adventure games, and other media starring him so maybe if you've dipped into that you see more in him than I do.

Of course with Smash it's all about how he plays, and we don't know that yet. It could be interesting, given that it's Minecraft, and it should at least look fun. I think it's always neat to add more visual variety to that game, which does the clash of styles thing really well.

What's most interesting to me is what this says about the relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft. Two of the Fighters Pass additions to the game have been iconic MS owned characters, but Minecraft is sort of treated as its own separate property (as shown by the fact that it's on PlayStation too) so maybe this doesn't mean anything?

Still, I find it interesting whenever the two companies do something together. The big elephant in the room is whether it's possible that Project XCloud Streaming could ever appear on Switch. I doubt it, but I'm sure Microsoft really wants it to happen and I wonder if they're playing nice with Nintendo in the hopes that some day they can make that deal.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but boy does Minecraft in Smash Bros feel like a shark jump moment.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I used to be vehemently against this back a few years ago when it was first rumored. I didn't like the visual style of Minecraft at all and as far as moves go it'd be a character reliant on summoning other references as their moveset, which is always my least favorite thing.

Through this site's dive into Minecraft though, which eventually led me to revisit it myself, I've come to appreciate the property more, both it's style/world and its systems. I still went "oh no" at the reveal, but I'm actually fine with it. Minecraft's fun and in terms of influence I think that it's worthy to join the biggest crossover in videogames. Having Smash be the biggest crossover also seems like Nintendo's goal so being able to add something as massive as Minecraft to it makes sense for them. I have nothing against it and it sounds like it'll be a weird, unique character.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft has never done anything for me, so this announcement gets a big shrug out of me, but that's fine. I could say the same thing about dozens of other characters in the game, while a dozen others are my jam. That's the good thing about having such a huge and eclectic roster of characters. There's bound to be at least one character you like among them, and any character you don't like is probably exciting to someone else.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I mean, for everybody that complains when they add generic anime sword boy you'd think more people would be happy that they're adding in what is ultimately a representative of a major cultural milestone in gaming and much more creative of a moveset (they had to test every stage to make sure it's possible for him to build with blocks, so it's safe to say he's not just hitting people with a pickaxe instead of a sword and calling it a day).

As much as I love Smash I always feel like the fan base can be pretty bad about new character additions. Too much of the fan base will come up with whatever they need to complain about to mask the actual complaint which is "you aren't adding the one character I want you to add from my list of dream characters".

Not directing that specifically at anyone here. Just venting after following these new character announcements for over 2 years now (including the original roster announcements pre-release).

Anyway, the character might visually be an eyesore until we get used to seeing it with everything else, but it should at least be a unique moveset.

Personally I haven't bought the second fighter pass yet and this hasn't changed my mind because I have no particular love for Arms or Minecraft, but I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Despite it happening constantly, I'm always amazed that there can be an online outraged reaction about tiny little things like a Minecraft character in Smash Bros.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's Goku next right?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It does little to me, but I appreciate that they are trying harder than the nth sword wielding anime character.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Nah, gotta get Superman in there first.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:

They're echo fighters

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:

What about a bag of Doritos, Domo-kun, or a really popular streamer with no controversies behind them?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Definitely not for me, but it is hilarious seeing some of the negative reactions out there and just how out of touch they are. Minecraft has sold 200 millions copies and people in their early 20's/late teens have a lot of nostalgia for. It's a layup.

I mean, just look at a ton of the reactions to the Terry release. "Who is that, buff pokemon trainer? Ken with a hat? What the fuck is this boomer garbage?". People sometimes forget what the majority demographic for smash is, and sometimes they need a reminder like Steve.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf said:
    @panfoot said:

What about a bag of Doritos, Domo-kun, or a really popular streamer with no controversies behind them?

No such streamer exists

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'd be more upset if this was the final character in the season. Because he's just the 2nd (and it seems like we won't have to wait too long for the 3rd), I'm meh on it. And like OP said, I'll have to wait and see how he plays. Based off the trailer, I think he'll be similar to AC Villager.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Definitely a disappointing choice for me. I'm here for the weird picks like Piranha Plant. Give me Drageaux!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m okay with it so long as they give him a super where he throws his enchanted diamond pick axe into the ocean and doesn’t realize it for 3 minutes.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By The_Nubster

What an old-man-yells-at-clouds moment, this thread.

It's a massive cultural touchstone, it's not another sword-man or anime husbando, it introduces huge new mechanics that they needed to pore over the entire game to ensure compatibility with. It's weirder than anything they've done, it's more original than anything they've done, it's two giants working together, it's a visual style that is completely distinct from anything else in the game. The way that they continue to add new characters and with them new mechanics and ideas that are faithful to the source instead of shoehorned-in is admirable. This is not the MK bullshit of giving guest characters whatever built-in functions that line up with the gameplay style, this feels like a real and loving embrace of the elements that make the source special. It is every cool thing that Smash guest characters should be. This is the kind of bananas I remember feeling about ROB and Mr. Game and Watch. I don't love Minecraft because I'm not a visually or spatially creative person, but this is cool as all hell and I love that they've introduced so much with this.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, I can't believe they added another pickaxe character...

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I laughed so hard when this was announced. What a perfectly weird yet perfectly fitting pick. And honestly, he looks really interesting as a character! His moveset seems super unique and I love the 'don't give a crap' personality they're going for. This may be one character I actually buy, and I've never even tried Minecraft!

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: It's kinda wild to me! I thought most people would be really hyped up for it, not from the property but from that video of their moveset. When people discussed Steve being added, I thought it wouldn't happen but I always entertain the idea of movesets. One of the first and most obvious things I could think of was placing blocks but I thought "nah, that would be too complicated and hard to figure out". But that's exactly what they did! That and the fact that it looks like you have to actually mine and upgrade your tools (it showed a wood, iron, and a diamond sword in different parts) seems crazy. It looks like they condensed the actual game into one character and I think that's really ambitious and huge. They've done it before with the Dragon Quest hero selecting spells but this is like another level of weird and different. I'm not even a huge fan of Minecraft but I'm excited by the weird ways people are gonna fight using the character!

@vaiz said:

Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but boy does Minecraft in Smash Bros feel like a shark jump moment.

I do think you are being cynical. I think adding a character from one of the most popular games on the planet is pretty obvious compared to adding the 3D model of a trainer from a fitness game. Or a piranha plant that sticks its legs out from a pipe that it continues to wear as it fights. Or a completely flat 2D character from a 1980s handheld not many young people would even know about. Minecraft Steve is relatively normal if you actually think about the weirdos in the roster.

Also on that note, I don't understand some of the people who are freaking out about the animation considering Game and Watch doesn't even have much animation either. He's literally a 2D black LCD screen character brought to the 3D world. Steve's animation looks weird to me too but I think it just takes getting used to. Game and Watch is bizarre if you actually look at him but I think everyone is used to it at this point. Plus it mimics the game he was in, which is exactly what Steve's animations are meant to do.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a meh announcement for me personally, but i can't deny the absolutely phenominal job they seem to have done, that trailer is amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A bunch of 30 year old moaning that their childhood isn't being represented in their bright colourful and child friendly fighting game is really funny to spectate at least. People need to get some perspective (not aimed at this topic just the net at large) this game isn't designed to Taylor to you and your generation alone. Minecraft Steve is one of the most iconic video game characters ever especially to teens/young adults right now.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is the 2nd best choice for DLC in Smash so far (after Banjo). The amount of care that went into this DLC is outstanding.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.