Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

10 hours in and I can't see this game clicking with me

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Cramsy

I'm the guy behind the "getting destroyed and loving it" post. Now that I read it back I kind of feel that the wide eyed optimist in that post is slowly dying. I see him getting beaten...badly, again and again without ever touching the ground. 

I've decided to main Rose because I really enjoyed her moves and I connected with her timing (in training mode at least) and I've beaten the arcade mode on hard with her with some troubles, but I got through it in the end. Now, I know it's not like playing against real people but it helped me to get a slight grasp on what the hell I was doing. 
    Trying my luck online I've played 46 matches (at the time of writing) and won 2. Getting a few rounds here and there which could have easily gone either way, it's just that it usually goes the other.  

Some games are real close and I love it. However, more often than not it's me joining, copping a hit, getting comboed /dizzied, loosing and repeat for 3 rounds. I don't feel like I'm learning anything from these games and its just making me doubt that I'll ever actually 'break the barrier' and be able to pull out combos on a regular basis.  I mean, it's fun, but for fuck sake, stop matching me up with people who end up booting me because the games are boring.   

So Street Fighter, I'm going to stick with you (har har) but if this happens for another 5 hours, I'm done. 

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Cramsy

I'm the guy behind the "getting destroyed and loving it" post. Now that I read it back I kind of feel that the wide eyed optimist in that post is slowly dying. I see him getting beaten...badly, again and again without ever touching the ground. 

I've decided to main Rose because I really enjoyed her moves and I connected with her timing (in training mode at least) and I've beaten the arcade mode on hard with her with some troubles, but I got through it in the end. Now, I know it's not like playing against real people but it helped me to get a slight grasp on what the hell I was doing. 
    Trying my luck online I've played 46 matches (at the time of writing) and won 2. Getting a few rounds here and there which could have easily gone either way, it's just that it usually goes the other.  

Some games are real close and I love it. However, more often than not it's me joining, copping a hit, getting comboed /dizzied, loosing and repeat for 3 rounds. I don't feel like I'm learning anything from these games and its just making me doubt that I'll ever actually 'break the barrier' and be able to pull out combos on a regular basis.  I mean, it's fun, but for fuck sake, stop matching me up with people who end up booting me because the games are boring.   

So Street Fighter, I'm going to stick with you (har har) but if this happens for another 5 hours, I'm done. 

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Robiin

This is why I won't try to get good at fighting games. I get that it's super rewarding and fun once you know what the hell you are doing. But I'm bad at remembering combos in mid-fight, and I just don't have the patience to play for ten hours before having fun.

If you really want to get good at a fighting game (online), get it first week or something, because now it feels like everyone who plays SSFIV are super good, and the ones that never got good have quit playing long time ago.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

I say to treat it like a girlfriend: give it an honest chance, and if you're not happy with what you're getting move on.  What matters is that you are satisfied and happy, not the particulars of what happens.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#4  Edited By Jazz

Keep at it..eventually you'll begin to see moments where you can turn the game to your advantage. 
    You've much more patience than I...I gave up after a week of SFIV and I have no intention of going back. That engine is just not for me.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gosukiller
    @Cramsy: I think your problem might be trying to main Rose. She is one of my secondaries and let me tell you:
    Online sucks without a decent reversal/wake up game. Rose does not thrive in laggy environments.

The main part of Rose's game is zoning your opponent with slow fireballs and building meter by absorbing fireballs in case of a fireball-war. Rose has excellent anti-air options so zoning is vital. She is a basicly a female Guile, in the way that she can turtle.

Have you tried to use a character with more options, such as Chun or Ryu?

Let me just say that you shouldn't judge this game by how it handles online, most of the shit people do there just doesn't work offline. Do you have any friends that play SSF4?
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cramsy
    @gosukiller said:
    " @Cramsy: I think your problem might be trying to main Rose. She is one of my secondaries and let me tell you: Online sucks without a decent reversal/wake up game. Rose does not thrive in laggy environments.  The main part of Rose's game is zoning your opponent with slow fireballs and building meter by absorbing fireballs in case of a fireball-war. Rose has excellent anti-air options so zoning is vital. She is a basicly a female Guile, in the way that she can turtle. Have you tried to use a character with more options, such as Chun or Ryu?  Let me just say that you shouldn't judge this game by how it handles online, most of the shit people do there just doesn't work offline. Do you have any friends that play SSF4? "
    I gave Ryu a go to begin with but have kind of backed off him lately, might give him another go. And as for playing offline with other people is kind of hard because I can usually find about 2-3 Australian matches so my my chances of finding someone local are rare.(as a win online! harhar) 
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gambit

10 hours of playing street fighter isn't much. Getting good at this game is a marathon not sprint. You can't play it for a week and expect to win all the time. Especially if you have no prior Street Fighter experience. You need to get together and play with people and get pointers and match experience keep at it for a couple months then see where you are.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By skrutop
    @Cramsy:   If you're not already, join/host some endless battles (as opposed to playing ranked mode).  You'll improve much quicker if you face the same opponent a few times, as you'll both start to see and capitalize on each others weaknesses.  You'll learn very quickly what you can/can't get away with, and what you can punish from the other player.  Random matches in ranked mode won't give you that experience.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TwoLines

I had this with SFIV, and that's why I'm probably not buying SSFIV.
    It was fun for a while though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cramsy: Not to come off as a dick, but simply playing isn't necessarily enough - and that's why so few stick with it. Hit Shoryuken, go to the forums and character discussion and look up Rose. Find someone to spar with - maybe pick up a few tricks. Check her video thread and see how the better players punish with her, close space, or escape if need be.  

Footsies is an important part of the game, and I've linked this to so many people, but it is basically the SF bible at this point: The Footsies Handbook

Have a read over it, check out the related videos the author highlights and see if any of it starts to make sense. 

When you get beyond playing at a very low level, the metagame comes into play more and more. Gimmicks won't cut it (which I'm terrible for) and you'll have to play with your opponent a bit to score decent damage.  

Beyond that, I don't know what else you can do. I've only played fighting games since SF4's release, and for about half that time I hated it - still do sometimes - but if you're willing to work at it (because that's what it is - SF is more a sport than almost any other game, and just like a sport requires hours of practice), then eventually it should start to fall together for you. 

Peace. 
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cramsy
    @mnzy said:
    " Check this:
    http://iplaywinner.com/rose-ssf4    Especially the match-up videos and the basic infos on what are given. Rose is a very safe character. Alot of her moves can not be punished, that's how you have to play her. "  
    Thanks buddy, I actually won 2 matches in a row tonight after this guy was schooling me for a while. Maybe improvement!?

@skrutop
    said:
    " @Cramsy:   If you're not already, join/host some endless battles (as opposed to playing ranked mode).  You'll improve much quicker if you face the same opponent a few times, as you'll both start to see and capitalize on each others weaknesses.  You'll learn very quickly what you can/can't get away with, and what you can punish from the other player.  Random matches in ranked mode won't give you that experience. "
    Yeah I've been giving this a go just tonight. I really understand the phrase 'know your matchups' after playing for a little while. "   capitalize on each others weaknesses" too true, I now know how to stop someone from spamming focus attacks haha
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Necrotrophic

two things: 

1. Dont give up. This is not the type of game you play for ten hours, or even 20 hours and decide whether you like it or not, or whether you can be good at it. 
    I grew up playing street fighter a lot (as well as numerous other fighters) and when fighting games basically started to tank in the sales department they werent being made, or advertised very well and I stopped playing them mostly, and when sf4 came out I needed to adjust to it, and it took a month or two before i was able to really get any win streaks going. 

2. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT keep switching characters. Between your two posts ive seen people suggest switching again, and I know youve said you played Ryu and Rose. Pick one and stick with them until you learn one. I recommend Ryu, however Rose is not a bad choice by any means. Both are good because theyre very good at basic zoning, and they can teach the fundamentals very well. The people telling you to switch around a lot are giving you flat out bad advice. No offense intended, but its true. 

in addition to those points I would like to say that yes, playing against people will help, and often times you hear people say "just play really good players" I find this to be bad advice as well, unless theyre giving you pointers while you get owned. Would you really learn anything if you went and played Daigo and didnt have a translator? No, you would just get owned and go home. You would learn how to watch yourself get KO'ed. You need to not only play people at your own skill level, but also play people who are better than you, but not unbeatable. This is a good idea because it gives you an opportunity to learn new tactics, and then try it out and see yourself progressing. While playing these people, you need to be researching the FUNDAMENTALS of street fighter (zoning, footsies, option selects, safe jumps etc) and reading about the matchups. When I first started with SF4 I was lucky to come across shoryuken by a mere chance, and being a total newb, I called out the entire Gouken forum. I had a tournament player come and show me whats up, and it opened my eyes. It showed me that I knew nothing about the game and that I couldnt even hit the other guy.  

Heres a video I think will be helpful: 

In addition to this video(the above video is actually part 1 of many, you should watch the rest as well) , I recommend this other one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4&feature=related (super turbo related, but VERY relevant)  our own lordofultima has some of the best tutorials youll find on youtube. If it wasnt for his videos, I wouldnt even know what the hell an option select is because most videos and descriptions of them are simply awful.

theres a lot of good players on this forum, so dont be afraid to ask questions about matchups, or how to do things in general. Theres no egos either
    Frozen_Ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Frozen_Ice

I still suck, but after 10 hours, I can definitely tell that I'm getting better at the game, and I'm loving it. I didn't expect to be good at my first Street Fighter game. 

I main Ibuki, and I think she's amazing.

BigShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BigShot

Mississippi is a work that is longer than 8 letters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.