Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Canada Cup 2012 (26-28 Oct) Preview and TONS of FGC News!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

It's that time again!

Canada Cup Preview!

No Caption Provided

Canada Cup is most known for two things, a world cup 5 vs. 5 style competition in SSF4AE (in addition to the usual singles tournaments) and the $8.95 fighting game community meme.

As discussed in the above video, Team Europe had to pull out of the event, the other 8 teams are:

Team USA 1, Team USA 2, Team Canada 1, Team Canada 2, Team Japan, Team Korea, Team Netherlands and Team South East Asia.

So there's going to be plenty of global competition on show during the weekend, lots of EVO standard matches and the accompanying hype is guaranteed.

No Caption Provided

As for 8.95? Well to watch last year's stream in HD you had to pay 8.95, but the non-HD stream was plagued with a stream producer who kept pressing the "play an ad now" button as soon as matches ended, but for stream viewers who are watching with a 10-15 second delay, would miss the ending of the match. It features as a joke in Divekick. To put it in context, remember the Daigo Parry video? Imagine the 8.95 version.

Hilarious.

Stream Link

http://www.twitch.tv/team/canadacup

Zangief wins his first Street Fighter IV major

Two games, two downloadable upgrades, four years. Not a single Zangief player had won a major. Until this weekend, when AGE | Snake Eyez defeated Justin Wong in a grand final that was a great example of patience and spacing. It was incredibly tense and a great end to the LA Qualifiers of the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary tournament.

Team Rush Hour returns and with it, some of the funniest FGC content you will see

Sit down and let Aquasilk and Chris Hu, Team Rush Hour, spin you some tales about a League of Legends player forgetting to turn off his stream after playing LoL and indulging in some "self celebration" as he triples his viewership in 5 minutes. Also features the explanation to Chris Hu of where "I pee on some little girls" comes from. Couldn't stop laughing when I saw it live, ahhh funny stuff, shout out to Team Rush Hour.

EVO founders announce the winners of the EVO College Scholarship winners

One of the things I was really intrigued by at this year's EVO 2012 was the $10,000 College Scholarship that was paid for by the 720p PPV stream viewers (of which I was one, because the archive was locked behind the pay wall). After 500 entrants, three winners have been picked, good luck to the winners in getting educated up.

It took longer than we expected, but we have finally awarded the first ever Evo College Scholarship! The response was enormous; in our first year we received over 500 applications. Thankfully, the number of PPV viewers for Evo 2012 have allowed us to add one additional scholarship. So for 2012 we will grant two $10,000 awards, along with a special $500 creative grant! An enormous THANK YOU goes out to all our online viewers and to Capcom, Namco, Warner Bros, and Atlus for allowing us to run the PPV.

Source - http://shoryuken.com/2012/10/24/announcing-the-10000-evo-scholarship-winners-for-2012/

Atlus announces the Atlus Fighting Championships for November

No Capcom games, no Namco games, no NetherRealm games, just good ol' The King of Fighters XIII and Persona 4 Arena courtesy of Atlus and Mad Catz and streamed by Level Up Series http://twitch.tv/leveluplive More details to come in November

No Caption Provided

http://www.levelup-series.com/levelup-presents-atlus-fighting-championships/

MLG picks up Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for MLG Dallas - Fall Championships (November 2-4)

In a much anticipated move, Major League Gaming has dropped one Namco game for another, with Soulcalibur V stepping aside for the new game TTT2. Tekken has had a history with MLG, Tekken 6 having a successful run in the past. Will this be as successful? With MLG's new efforts in fighting games it's going to be interesting to see

• If TTT2 can repeat what Tekken 6 did
    • If Tekken players will turn up to Dallas
    • If the MLG fighting game stream can actually break 1000 viewers, with it's many adverts, esports production and wub wub wub

When "One woman’s battle against the anxious masculinity of the fighting-games scene" isn't what it claims to be

I've seen an alarming rise in the amount of abuse of women in gaming articles recently, while it's disheartening to read these stories, I believe that the more it's reported, the more sexist idiots will get exposed and shown the error of their ways, one I especially enjoyed reading recently was the story of the Black Cat cosplayer who embarrassed and humiliated a bunch of childish sexist interviewers at last week's New York Comic-con. http://beautilation.tumblr.com/post/33538802648

The next article to shame wrong doers is Maddy Myers piece about her fighting game adventures - http://thephoenix.com/boston/recroom/145892-one-womans-battle-against-the-anxious-masculinity/#ixzz2AGeCw78L. This article was brought to my attention by none other than Giant Bomb's own resident anti-FGC staffer, Patrick Klepek in his latest "Worth Reading" article, with the intro in linking to the article (and a direct quote) "It's too bad some ugly seeds continue to give the fighting game community such a bad reputation."

I gave this article a read (which begrudgingly clicked to 5 separate pages, come on people, this is 2012!) and I can confirm I'm in agreement with Maddy that what she went through wasn't very pleasant and unfortunately it's seen commonly in many geek subcultures.

A couple guys come up and try to make conversation with me. They both ask the same questions: "What are you doing here?" "Why did you come?" They seem genuinely curious. My response — "I just wanted to play" — doesn't satisfy either of them. They keep asking that same question with different wording. So I say "I don't know" until they go away.

Another guy walks up and asks if I have the next game. Sure, why not. He tells me it's his first time here; he's got a stick with him, and he looks excited. He asks if I've been here before, and I admit I have. "You're a regular!" he exclaims. I laugh. No, not exactly.

As I'm reading this, a theme starts to emerge, which is cemented by the 4th page. These guys are not the fighting game community, they are random gamers, no different from the ones who we all receive hateful messages from on XBL/PSN. Take this section from page 4:

I lean against the doorway and watch people play for 10 minutes. While I loiter, no one asks if I need help or seems to notice me, but I don't mind this so much; I'd rather be ignored than stared down, and I enjoy watching the game. Finally, an employee asks me what I am doing there. I ask him in return if the store would consider organizing an Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 night.

Turns out, the game nights get dictated by corporate, he explains, so they don't even have copies of UMvC3 on hand. "If we did have a copy, you could play it," he says.

"What if I told you I had a copy right here?"

By now, the guys in the room have turned around. Several stare at me in bewilderment.

"Oh, shit," says one of the male players, "I bet she's a pro."

"I'm definitely not," I say, laughing. "I'm just not very good at Street Fighter X Tekken. I thought I might convince you guys to play this instead if I brought it."

"How did you even know this was happening?" someone asked. "We just saw the store and came in."

"Oh, I Googled around for fight nights, and this was one that I found," I said. The guys look at each other. I can't tell if they're impressed or freaked out. A little of both?

My game's title screen flashes over the TV. More guys walk into the back room with exclaims of interest.

"Marvel vs. Capcom? I love this game," says one of the newcomers. "You all play this game? You guys all have Xbox?"

One of the other guys points at me. "I only have a PS3, but she has an Xbox. This is her game."

The newcomer stares hard at me. "It's your game?"

Time to go through the motions. "Yes." "You play this game?" "Yes." "You play video games?" "Yes." "You have an Xbox?!" "Yes." "Whoa! You gotta give me your gamertag!" "No, thanks." "What? Why not? You have Xbox Live, right?" "I do, just . . . no, thanks."

The guy turns and walks right out of the store. He doesn't come back.

The guy who pointed at me says, "That was weird."

"It wasn't that unusual," I say. "Not for me."

"Oh, right," he says. "You're a girl who plays video games. And that's pretty weird." It's not a compliment. He says it with a hint of concern in his eyes, as though he's letting me know that I have a symptom of some larger, mysterious disorder.

Now other than the ignorant comment at the bottom about Maddy apparently being pretty weird and the creepy guy who left, it seems quite clear to me that this entire thing is amateur hour, a "fight night," put together by some store employees and not a fighting game community event. Labelling this as "bad seeds" of the fighting game community is a mistake on both Patrick and Maddy's part.

Thank you for reading once again!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FLStyle

It's that time again!

Canada Cup Preview!

No Caption Provided

Canada Cup is most known for two things, a world cup 5 vs. 5 style competition in SSF4AE (in addition to the usual singles tournaments) and the $8.95 fighting game community meme.

As discussed in the above video, Team Europe had to pull out of the event, the other 8 teams are:

Team USA 1, Team USA 2, Team Canada 1, Team Canada 2, Team Japan, Team Korea, Team Netherlands and Team South East Asia.

So there's going to be plenty of global competition on show during the weekend, lots of EVO standard matches and the accompanying hype is guaranteed.

No Caption Provided

As for 8.95? Well to watch last year's stream in HD you had to pay 8.95, but the non-HD stream was plagued with a stream producer who kept pressing the "play an ad now" button as soon as matches ended, but for stream viewers who are watching with a 10-15 second delay, would miss the ending of the match. It features as a joke in Divekick. To put it in context, remember the Daigo Parry video? Imagine the 8.95 version.

Hilarious.

Stream Link

http://www.twitch.tv/team/canadacup

Zangief wins his first Street Fighter IV major

Two games, two downloadable upgrades, four years. Not a single Zangief player had won a major. Until this weekend, when AGE | Snake Eyez defeated Justin Wong in a grand final that was a great example of patience and spacing. It was incredibly tense and a great end to the LA Qualifiers of the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary tournament.

Team Rush Hour returns and with it, some of the funniest FGC content you will see

Sit down and let Aquasilk and Chris Hu, Team Rush Hour, spin you some tales about a League of Legends player forgetting to turn off his stream after playing LoL and indulging in some "self celebration" as he triples his viewership in 5 minutes. Also features the explanation to Chris Hu of where "I pee on some little girls" comes from. Couldn't stop laughing when I saw it live, ahhh funny stuff, shout out to Team Rush Hour.

EVO founders announce the winners of the EVO College Scholarship winners

One of the things I was really intrigued by at this year's EVO 2012 was the $10,000 College Scholarship that was paid for by the 720p PPV stream viewers (of which I was one, because the archive was locked behind the pay wall). After 500 entrants, three winners have been picked, good luck to the winners in getting educated up.

It took longer than we expected, but we have finally awarded the first ever Evo College Scholarship! The response was enormous; in our first year we received over 500 applications. Thankfully, the number of PPV viewers for Evo 2012 have allowed us to add one additional scholarship. So for 2012 we will grant two $10,000 awards, along with a special $500 creative grant! An enormous THANK YOU goes out to all our online viewers and to Capcom, Namco, Warner Bros, and Atlus for allowing us to run the PPV.

Source - http://shoryuken.com/2012/10/24/announcing-the-10000-evo-scholarship-winners-for-2012/

Atlus announces the Atlus Fighting Championships for November

No Capcom games, no Namco games, no NetherRealm games, just good ol' The King of Fighters XIII and Persona 4 Arena courtesy of Atlus and Mad Catz and streamed by Level Up Series http://twitch.tv/leveluplive More details to come in November

No Caption Provided

http://www.levelup-series.com/levelup-presents-atlus-fighting-championships/

MLG picks up Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for MLG Dallas - Fall Championships (November 2-4)

In a much anticipated move, Major League Gaming has dropped one Namco game for another, with Soulcalibur V stepping aside for the new game TTT2. Tekken has had a history with MLG, Tekken 6 having a successful run in the past. Will this be as successful? With MLG's new efforts in fighting games it's going to be interesting to see

• If TTT2 can repeat what Tekken 6 did
    • If Tekken players will turn up to Dallas
    • If the MLG fighting game stream can actually break 1000 viewers, with it's many adverts, esports production and wub wub wub

When "One woman’s battle against the anxious masculinity of the fighting-games scene" isn't what it claims to be

I've seen an alarming rise in the amount of abuse of women in gaming articles recently, while it's disheartening to read these stories, I believe that the more it's reported, the more sexist idiots will get exposed and shown the error of their ways, one I especially enjoyed reading recently was the story of the Black Cat cosplayer who embarrassed and humiliated a bunch of childish sexist interviewers at last week's New York Comic-con. http://beautilation.tumblr.com/post/33538802648

The next article to shame wrong doers is Maddy Myers piece about her fighting game adventures - http://thephoenix.com/boston/recroom/145892-one-womans-battle-against-the-anxious-masculinity/#ixzz2AGeCw78L. This article was brought to my attention by none other than Giant Bomb's own resident anti-FGC staffer, Patrick Klepek in his latest "Worth Reading" article, with the intro in linking to the article (and a direct quote) "It's too bad some ugly seeds continue to give the fighting game community such a bad reputation."

I gave this article a read (which begrudgingly clicked to 5 separate pages, come on people, this is 2012!) and I can confirm I'm in agreement with Maddy that what she went through wasn't very pleasant and unfortunately it's seen commonly in many geek subcultures.

A couple guys come up and try to make conversation with me. They both ask the same questions: "What are you doing here?" "Why did you come?" They seem genuinely curious. My response — "I just wanted to play" — doesn't satisfy either of them. They keep asking that same question with different wording. So I say "I don't know" until they go away.

Another guy walks up and asks if I have the next game. Sure, why not. He tells me it's his first time here; he's got a stick with him, and he looks excited. He asks if I've been here before, and I admit I have. "You're a regular!" he exclaims. I laugh. No, not exactly.

As I'm reading this, a theme starts to emerge, which is cemented by the 4th page. These guys are not the fighting game community, they are random gamers, no different from the ones who we all receive hateful messages from on XBL/PSN. Take this section from page 4:

I lean against the doorway and watch people play for 10 minutes. While I loiter, no one asks if I need help or seems to notice me, but I don't mind this so much; I'd rather be ignored than stared down, and I enjoy watching the game. Finally, an employee asks me what I am doing there. I ask him in return if the store would consider organizing an Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 night.

Turns out, the game nights get dictated by corporate, he explains, so they don't even have copies of UMvC3 on hand. "If we did have a copy, you could play it," he says.

"What if I told you I had a copy right here?"

By now, the guys in the room have turned around. Several stare at me in bewilderment.

"Oh, shit," says one of the male players, "I bet she's a pro."

"I'm definitely not," I say, laughing. "I'm just not very good at Street Fighter X Tekken. I thought I might convince you guys to play this instead if I brought it."

"How did you even know this was happening?" someone asked. "We just saw the store and came in."

"Oh, I Googled around for fight nights, and this was one that I found," I said. The guys look at each other. I can't tell if they're impressed or freaked out. A little of both?

My game's title screen flashes over the TV. More guys walk into the back room with exclaims of interest.

"Marvel vs. Capcom? I love this game," says one of the newcomers. "You all play this game? You guys all have Xbox?"

One of the other guys points at me. "I only have a PS3, but she has an Xbox. This is her game."

The newcomer stares hard at me. "It's your game?"

Time to go through the motions. "Yes." "You play this game?" "Yes." "You play video games?" "Yes." "You have an Xbox?!" "Yes." "Whoa! You gotta give me your gamertag!" "No, thanks." "What? Why not? You have Xbox Live, right?" "I do, just . . . no, thanks."

The guy turns and walks right out of the store. He doesn't come back.

The guy who pointed at me says, "That was weird."

"It wasn't that unusual," I say. "Not for me."

"Oh, right," he says. "You're a girl who plays video games. And that's pretty weird." It's not a compliment. He says it with a hint of concern in his eyes, as though he's letting me know that I have a symptom of some larger, mysterious disorder.

Now other than the ignorant comment at the bottom about Maddy apparently being pretty weird and the creepy guy who left, it seems quite clear to me that this entire thing is amateur hour, a "fight night," put together by some store employees and not a fighting game community event. Labelling this as "bad seeds" of the fighting game community is a mistake on both Patrick and Maddy's part.

Thank you for reading once again!

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Petiew

I haven't watched Big 2 or checked BasedMonster's channel in so long. Thanks for posting the Rush Hour video. Greatest thing ever.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I'm just skimming through this on my phone, so I can't make an articulate statement regarding the alleged sexism in the FGC; however, I do find it unfortunate that journalists continue to bring forth only negative examples of the community. Stuff like the scholarship is embedded in larger stories about Evo while the Cross Assault incident gets multiple headlines. Where were people like Patrick when the FGC helped raise over $10,000 for charities aiding victims of rape? This whole sexism charge against the FGC has me all riled up whenever some news guy feels like they got a free bullet to shoot.

Anyway, really looking forward to the 5v5 tournament on Sunday. Last year's was epic.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Petiew
    @DolphinButter: Agreed. Why didn't this, this, thisand many others get covered by Patrick? Not that Patrick has a duty to spread positive press, but from what I remember the majority of articles he's posted on the FGC are on sexism. Like @FLStyle: pointed out it wasn't Seth Killian telling the girl she's weird, it was some dude in a game shop. If she had suggested a Gears of War co-op night I imagine the result would have been the same?
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse

CAnt wait for Canada cup.

i read that article eairler in the week and something rubbed me the wrong way. i think you hit the nail on the head. this was some random event a microsoft store. i wish these journos would attend a major or local at nextlevel, sper arcade, southtown or the break. but i guess people need hits

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By GaspoweR

Man Chris Hu explaining the DHC glitch just made it more confusing :/

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Good blog post as always. It's sad most people will just judge the FGC by the Sexism crap.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Canada Cup. Sadly I work Sunday so I'm going to watch as much as I can on my phone at work. Have Sat. off so I'll watch it a lot when I'm doing the stuff that I need to do that day.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Commisar123

@JJOR64: @FLStyle: I'm pretty new to this FGC thing. I've only been really into fighting games for about 2 years or so, I'm not even an 09er, but I have to say that I think you guys are trying way to hard to defend the FGC and the horrible sexism and racism that exists in it. Every time I watch a stream I see racist and sexist comments in the chat, which I mean of course it's the internet, but what's far more disappointing to me is when I hear pretty much the same thing, maybe a little cleaner but the same sentiment, come out of the mouths of commentators and players. Now I know not everyone is like this, especially James Chen and Ultra David who do a great job of presenting a mature demeanor on camera, but it's a lot of people. I know the FGC isn't the only part of nerd culture that's like this, or fuck it all of society, but it's still no good. This is something you love, I get that I really do, but stop trying to make up for the bad things that happen. If you really want this perception of your culture to change you need to persecute those who make these sorts of comments. Also Patrick isn't anti-FGC, he's anti sexist and has enough maturity to recognize when someone is making an ass of themselves.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FLStyle

@Commisar123: As you correctly stated, perception is key, as is the perception of Patrick that he is very quick, as he was in this case, to label the FGC when no members of the FGC were present as described in the article. It's not his own thoughts or beliefs that caused me to label him anti-FGC, I'm sure he is like you say merely anti-sexism, but what he does or doesn't write in his articles is what defines his stance.

I don't believe I'm trying to make up for bad things, the FGC is what it is, EVO founder Tom Cannon describes it as a hard-candy shell that it may not necessarily need, and at times both the best and worst is on display for all to see.

What I'm doing is trying to correct mistakes, so that whatever happens is represented as it is and not as the perception is. Especially in gaming journalism, where a lot of these writers' opinions are often misunderstood as facts.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Carryboy

Chris Hu is godlike.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By churrific

I always enjoys your previews. "Weaaalliee!??" ~Chris Hu

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By groin

16 is barely ok

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Thanks for posting this. Zangief win was super super exciting.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thegoldencat7

Heh, you'll never guess how much it is to subscribe.

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SpecDotSign

@thegoldencat7: I love that they're embracing it. The FGC has some funny ass dudes. I love it. Seasons Beatings Ascension was made exponentially better with the MC'ing of Chris Matrix and Peter "taterfiend" Rosas aka Combofiend.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lukeweizer

I noticed the constant ads last weekend during the SF25 event. Really hope it doesn't happen again this weekend.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thegoldencat7

@SpecDotSign:

Indeed. Thats why I love it. So many awesome characters.

Yeah its pretty crafty also, because in order to complain about 8.95 you need to pay 8.95 and then they're like knock yourself out heres an 8.95 icon. Go nuts

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FLStyle

@Lukeweizer said:

I noticed the constant ads last weekend during the SF25 event. Really hope it doesn't happen again this weekend.

Was there? I remember there being big gaps inbetween setting up each game but I don't remember many ads. Ad-blocker must ave taken care of them on my side.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Phished0ne

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! 8.95 cup my favorite tournament.

I find it funny that Canada Cup now has a subscription model like the other twitch tv community streams. Pay your fee for the emoticons, but one of them is an 8.95 emote. Now i understand its a meme, but shouldn't CC be embarrassed about last years fiasco? By this point shouldn't they be begging and groveling to the stream monsters and re-assuring them it wont happen again, instead of going "hahahahah guys isnt it funny how we ruined your experience last time??"

Moving past that, that article made me kinda disgusted. Not at the content, i am 100 percent sure that kinda stuff happens all over on a daily basis. Not just with video games, but card games, table top games, and all other forms of assorted nerdery. I am disgusted that people like our own Mr Klepek cant seem to get it through their skulls that not every person who plays fighters is a representation of the FGC. I am no member of the FGC and i would never claim to be, i play the games on a casual level online and with friends. But i love the FGC, i love the content they produce, the great personalities of the different players/commentary teams.

People need to learn that a bunch of people playing fighting games in some shoddy basement of some store in BFE isnt a representation of the *real* community. I mean, for fucks sake the one guy said "everyone plays DOA...". Markman said it best "Stream monsters are not part of the FGC". Its true, although some people like to pretend, you aren't a real part of the FGC until you goto a tournament of some kind. Hell i would even considering regularly going to a big scene local(Big 2, Wednesday Night Fights, The Runback, Thursday Night Throwdown[that still makes me chuckle], etc) making you a part of the community. Its like saying people that play football in the park are apart of the NFL.

Grouping everyone who plays fighting games together is as dangerous as grouping people that just play fps shooters as "gamers". Although that is a controversial statement, i would say the call of duty dudebros who play exclusively sports games and fps games *arent really* gamers. Just like i would say that someone who *exclusively* plays fighting games isnt really a 'gamer' either. But maybe thats just terrible of me. But Imagine if people just assumed every person who spouted hate speech on XBL was an accurate representation of gamers.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Phished0ne

@Commisar123 said:

@JJOR64: @FLStyle: I'm pretty new to this FGC thing. I've only been really into fighting games for about 2 years or so, I'm not even an 09er, but I have to say that I think you guys are trying way to hard to defend the FGC and the horrible sexism and racism that exists in it. Every time I watch a stream I see racist and sexist comments in the chat, which I mean of course it's the internet, but what's far more disappointing to me is when I hear pretty much the same thing, maybe a little cleaner but the same sentiment, come out of the mouths of commentators and players. Now I know not everyone is like this, especially James Chen and Ultra David who do a great job of presenting a mature demeanor on camera, but it's a lot of people. I know the FGC isn't the only part of nerd culture that's like this, or fuck it all of society, but it's still no good. This is something you love, I get that I really do, but stop trying to make up for the bad things that happen. If you really want this perception of your culture to change you need to persecute those who make these sorts of comments. Also Patrick isn't anti-FGC, he's anti sexist and has enough maturity to recognize when someone is making an ass of themselves.

I really hate to post back to back but i just thoroughly read your comment, and i didnt know if i could edit in a quote and have it work properly. Sure Patrick has enough maturity to realize when someone is making an ass of himself, but he apparently doesn't have the maturity to read the article thoroughly and realize that it was just some "fight night" in a podunk town. Its not a representation of the FGC, its a representation of sexism in general. Its a representation of deplorable attitudes that exist in all forms of hobbies and walks of life. Pointing out the 'FGC' and saying "look at these sexist assholes" is EXTREMELY disingenuous. Because i remember a time after GB launched when there were problems with females who had pictures of themselves as profile pictures being harassed by THIS VERY COMMUNITY. Its not a problem with the FGC. Its a problem with, for lack of a better term, Nerds. Its terrible that i have to think twice before inviting my female friends to make accounts on this site(or any other gaming site, for that matter) because i worry that the socially inept ones will bother them.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thegoldencat7

Stream is live.

Just casuals for now.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phished0ne

Who though making people pay to chat was a great idea? Im really considering not watching the tournament now. Not because i desperately need to read the hate-filled chat, but because its a shitty thing to do.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VicRattlehead

@Phished0ne said:

Who though making people pay to chat was a great idea? Im really considering not watching the tournament now. Not because i desperately need to read the hate-filled chat, but because its a shitty thing to do.

i think its a great idea... twitchs chat is a battlefield of trolls now they have to pay and i assume offer up their real name etc when paying so they might be less inclined to be a wanker.... marn was on stream and i didn't see one "lol marn is fat" in the chat....was great

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phished0ne

@VicRattlehead: sure, the effects are good, but the practice is bad.

For these reasons:

1) I dont think Canada Cup deserves my money after last years debacle.(So the best thing is to anger more people by blocking off chat?)

2) It assumes everyone in the chat is the kind of person that just spews memes and hate-speech.

3) It blocks people like me(who feel they dont deserve my money) from engaging in the chance for *actual discourse* with others, simply because of the actions of people who dont really care about anything. Its really manipulative for them to go "OH LOOK YOU CAN ACTUALLY CHAT..BUT PAY US FOR THE CHANCE" It takes advantage of the people who actually want to chat....

4) it exempts *people like markman* who are respectable people, but just because they "represent" the community in some way. He gets a free pass simply because every FGC stream has made him a mod. But as i can see Ultradavid had to pay to be in the chat. It creates a huge double standard, even within the community.

5) is there an alternative? as far as i can see, there is one option, PAY TO CHAT, there is no secondary chat to at least offer to monsters that still want to memespam.

Exclusive Stream Chat with custom emotes.

Doesn't that kind of imply a *seperate* stream chat for subs? The chat for subs should be the *Exclusive* chat, allowing us plebs to chat in the *non exclusive* chat. I understand that is a problem with twitch at this point, but that doesn't make it okay to do.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Carryboy

And their locking the archives for 2 weeks unless you fork out.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scooper

Many great players in this thing and I have a few beers. Should be good watchin'

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thegoldencat7

@Phished0ne: There is a poverty chat going on here.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Phished0ne

@thegoldencat7: Thanks, good to know.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FLStyle

DOOM. DOESN'T. LOSE!

Always a fan of Doom comebacks.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FLStyle
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phished0ne

Here is an image of the schedule for this weekend, thought it would be useful for anyone who(like me) has to plan around events this weekend(going to a halloween party dressed as strider, im going to have a lot of explaining to do haha).

No Caption Provided
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FLStyle

@Phished0ne: Thanks, added it to the original post.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Phished0ne

Mike Ross: "He is thinking 'what would Mike Ross do?"

Floe: "No one thinks that unless they want to lose"

SHOTS FIRED!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By JJOR64
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlightConfuse

Canada went 0-15 in team tournements lol

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FLStyle
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Phished0ne

I missed it last night, who won Marvel?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FLStyle

@Phished0ne: I didn't see it either.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Phished0ne: Pr balrog

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FLStyle

Infiltration's match notes

No Caption Provided

Would be more hype if it was a USA vs Japan final but I don't doubt that (South) Korea vs. Japan won't be a great watch. Has been so far.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Phished0ne

@FLStyle: hahah. I think Infiltration starts just staring at his phone to troll/mindfuck people. Especially the US teams, I think Rog's team spent too much time complaining and making fun of team Korea for the notes, and it completely got in their head. Mission Successful?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FLStyle

@Phished0ne said:

@FLStyle: hahah. I think Infiltration starts just staring at his phone to troll/mindfuck people. Especially the US teams, I think Rog's team spent too much time complaining and making fun of team Korea for the notes, and it completely got in their head. Mission Successful?

Maybe, it certainly didn't work on FChamp though, he was far too fired up from Laugh angering him yesterday to care and played an excellent set against the Koreans.

Congrats to Japan, dominant again. that'll feel good after Korea's recent rise in AE. USA2 was a respectable 3rd, USA1 did as well as they could with the draw they got.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Phished0ne

@FLStyle: agreed. Interesting idea Goochen proposed though, using Arcade Mode as a timer for stuff like that.

Lots of good business this weekend though, some great matches from what i saw, some good grudge/money matches, some great comedy during the late night stream saturday. Drunk Chen was godlike. The Zhi/Nina commentary/interview was amazingly uncomfortable/hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.