Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Capcom DRM Shackles...Then Promptly Unshackles Super Street Fighter IV's PC Release

• 55 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega
    Under the old piracy measures, you would not be able to play as these characters offline. But now you can!
    Under the old piracy measures, you would not be able to play as these characters offline. But now you can!

Capcom laid out the feature set and changes that would be integrated into the long-time-coming PC port of Super Street Fighter IV (complete with the Arcade Edition patch) last week. Along with those features--including more comprehensive video options for users with low-end hardware to hit 60 frames per second online-- Capcom also revealed the game's security and anti-piracy features.

Like the release of Street Fighter IV on the PC in 2009, SSFIV: AE features Games For Windows Live support for the online functionality and requires players to be logged into a GFWL account to access the game's full functionality. Those who played SSFIV without being connected to the Internet would find the game's offline functionality to be severely limited. Capcom senior VP Christian Svenssonwrote in his blog post announcement:

If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

As you would imagine, the realization that an offline outage would turn SSFIV into a game with less playable characters than the original release of SSIV (15 fighters compared to the original game's 25) sent prospective players into a frenzy. Fansargued that the anti-piracy measures would directly detract from the experiences of paying customers rather than deterring piracy or (as I imagine Capcom wanted out of this system) encouraging pirates to purchase the full game to unlock the game's full content.

The response to this function-locked PC release of SSFIV was so overwhelming that Capcom has decided to scrap parts of that system. Svensson wrote on his blog that, shortly after the game launches, Capcom would release a patch that removed the character limit from offline play. Players will still be prevented from saving their progress offline, but if you're looking to just practice combos or play local games on the PC, you won't have to connect online to do it.

It's good to see a big publisher like Capcom relent on some piracy countermeasures at the request of their fans. As far as I'm concerned, the easier it for those fans to take character models and bolt them onto other fighter's animations, the better.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Capcom laid out the feature set and changes that would be integrated into the long-time-coming PC port of Super Street Fighter IV (complete with the Arcade Edition patch) last week. Along with those features--including more comprehensive video options for users with low-end hardware to hit 60 frames per second online-- Capcom also revealed the game's security and anti-piracy features.

Like the release of Street Fighter IV on the PC in 2009, SSFIV: AE features Games For Windows Live support for the online functionality and requires players to be logged into a GFWL account to access the game's full functionality. Those who played SSFIV without being connected to the Internet would find the game's offline functionality to be severely limited. Capcom senior VP Christian Svenssonwrote in his blog post announcement:

If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

As you would imagine, the realization that an offline outage would turn SSFIV into a game with less playable characters than the original release of SSIV (15 fighters compared to the original game's 25) sent prospective players into a frenzy. Fansargued that the anti-piracy measures would directly detract from the experiences of paying customers rather than deterring piracy or (as I imagine Capcom wanted out of this system) encouraging pirates to purchase the full game to unlock the game's full content.

The response to this function-locked PC release of SSFIV was so overwhelming that Capcom has decided to scrap parts of that system. Svensson wrote on his blog that, shortly after the game launches, Capcom would release a patch that removed the character limit from offline play. Players will still be prevented from saving their progress offline, but if you're looking to just practice combos or play local games on the PC, you won't have to connect online to do it.

It's good to see a big publisher like Capcom relent on some piracy countermeasures at the request of their fans. As far as I'm concerned, the easier it for those fans to take character models and bolt them onto other fighter's animations, the better.

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Saga

cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Saga said:

cool

What a pointless comment.

I'm glad Capcom did this, good move.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

It's cool they addressed the issue.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Goldanas

I personally don't like playing fighting games, especially Street Fighter, online. I only play local matches with friends, mostly because the netcode for fighting games just isn't there yet and because the communities aren't exactly fun to play with.

Good on Capcom for not being complete morons.

I've purchased this game 3 times now, and I'll purchase it another 2 it seems (PS3 and PC), but we all know pirates will make a patch to reinstate the functionality within days.

Don't screw over paying customers with your pointless "anti-piracy" measures.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By recroulette

Fifteen characters? Wow, I mean, I know they were trying fight piracy, but damn.

fleethefactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fleethefactory

Dude I can't even look at those character models, they make me feel weird inside.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Subjugation
    @EveretteScott: That's what a "be the first post" quest does to the comments section.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By PixelPrinny
    @Goldanas said:

I personally don't like playing fighting games, especially Street Fighter, online. I only play local matches with friends, mostly because the netcode for fighting games just isn't there yet and because the communities aren't exactly fun to play with.

Plenty of games, SSFIV included, have code that allows for lag-free matches where you can input things like one-frame links. The whole "online code just isn't there yet" is a silly, baseless argument now. Sure there are matches where you'll find lag, but you'll find that in any online game -- shooters, racing games, etc. and unless your connection is at fault, it's not the norm.  

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what crazy costumes people can come up with for all of the edition Super characters. There were some fantastic costumes created back in the original SFIV PC edition like a Harley Quinn costume for Chun Li or Strider Hiryu Vega
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm so glad you brought this video to my attention.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By agentboolen

Who would think of this as a reasonable anti-piracy feature?!?!  Why do these companies think gamers PC's are always online?!  If your on a laptop and don't have it plugged in you might really want to use the option of not being connected to the internet just to get more battery power.  It just makes no sense.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkjester74

Those character swap vids are AMAZING!

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Its good that they relaxed on the drm, but from the publisher side, they still don't have an adequate way to curb piracy. Makes me wonder if their future drm policies will be any different.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By Eribuster

Glad to see Capcom pulling back from restrictive DRM. It would be better if they pulled all the way back, but this new offline mode patch is better than what was originally proposed.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By 234r2we232

This'll be great for those 10 people still playing PC games.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wait you can't save offline? I don't have a games for windows live account for online. I usually make an offline profile to save. It's basically forcing ppl to sign up to GFWL if they don't want to, but at least a patch adresses some of the issues.

Then again what right do I have to complain? I am happy to get another fighting game from capcom.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sofacitysweetheart said:

10 people playing PC FIGHTING GAMES. That's the niche, not PC games.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

THAT VIDEO AINT SF4 KORYU.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@President_Barackbar said:

10 people playing PC FIGHTING GAMES. That's the niche, not PC games.

SHOUTOUTS TO GGPO.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ervonymous

@sofacitysweetheart: I know right, go ahead and keep this online only DRM on the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh, you naughty naughty boy.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lunar_Aura

The patch will hit shortly after the game launches and I will buy the game no sooner than that. Don't play games with me, Capcom. I pay to play your games, not the other way around.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phrosnite

DoW2: Retribution dropped GfWL so I'm not buying any other game that uses GfWL...

Cordiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cordiss

Good, I'll be playing this on pc and I'm glad to hear this.

BTW, Giantbomb, thanks for focusing on the goofy mods on PC, and not the lag free multiplayer.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Brackynews

anti-piracy measures would directly detract from the experiences of paying customers rather than deterring piracy or (as I imagine Capcom wanted out of this system) encouraging pirates to purchase the full game to unlock the game's full content.

More dumb-ass decisions by suits in boardrooms looking at charts that have never tried actually using their products.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

#26  Edited By morecowbell24
    @EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

What a pointless comment.  I'm glad Capcom did this, good move.  
    So you saying what the other person said in more words makes your's less pointless?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look guys, consumers do actually have some power.

Funny that.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Damn, was gonna get this game, but GFWL? Anti-purchase.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mumrik

I'd buy it if they offered it as DLC for SF4.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Rockdalf

Hey, at least Capcom honors their word.  Remember that spectator mode patch for Marvel?  Yeah, Capcom, that one!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@morecowbell24 said:

@EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

What a pointless comment. I'm glad Capcom did this, good move.
    So you saying what the other person said in more words makes your's less pointless?

This whole conversation is funny.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Mumrik said:
    Its been over a year and some idiots are still saying that? 
    Its a NEW GAME. There's way too many new features to be DLC. Stop being stupid.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

This makes me sad because now I want to buy it more :C

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreggD

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@morecowbell24 said:

@EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

I like the dog in your avatar. He makes me smile.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By doe3879

I was a little outage after read half the article but then feels like it's a pretty good idea to restrict some content from offonline play for a short period of time and then remove the restriction with path later on...if not too later on I suppose.

Considering hackers usually doesn't care to update their crack after the launch period

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Preordered. Very happy they didn't gimp it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrKlorox

Cool. Not perfect, but way way better than it was. Silly Capcom.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @GreggD said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@morecowbell24 said:

@EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mumrik
    @MysteriousBob said:
    @Mumrik said:
    Its been over a year and some idiots are still saying that? Its a NEW GAME. There's way too many new features to be DLC. Stop being stupid.
    Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. It's a expansion - so sell it for 10-15 bucks to people who already own SF4.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Kyle

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@GreggD said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@morecowbell24 said:

@EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

cool

Stefanten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stefanten
    @Mumrik:  14 (!) new characters, 2 ultras for every character, completely rebalanced gameplay, vastly improved online (8 player lobbies, ability to save replays etc.) and about 5-6 new stages. That's a pretty major upgrade from vanilla SF4.

If Super had come out for PC and they weren't offering AE as DLC, then yes, that would be crazy. But at 40 bucks, this is a great deal even if you own SF4.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreggD

@Kyle: Wonderful contribution to the conversation.

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By l3illyl3ob

Thing with this type of DRM is that it doesn't deter piracy even a little.  Pirates will still crack the game and be able to play with the full feature set offline while paying customers get a gimped copy.  That's what Capcom really fails to understand, they think their DRM is failproof or something.  It's not. At least they're giving us all the characters again.

The good news is that Microsoft upped their GFWL security, so you can no longer just use one key on every game. Every GFWL game now comes with a unique key just for it. This alone is good enough to deter piracy, Capcom is foolish for trying to bolt on even more.  Guess I can't blame them too much after MS shafted them pretty hard with GFWL's old pathetic key system.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By boylie

@Kyle said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@GreggD said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@morecowbell24 said:

@EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

cool

What a pointless comment. I'm glad I saw this video, good moves.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By THRICE

It's a pretty stupid way of implementing DRM but to play devil's advocate if your an honest to goodness purchaser of the game your going to be online. Aside from the time my router busted and that only affected Wi-Fi I can't think of a time where I wasn't able to access the internet on my PC. Aside from people on military bases which I understand who are these people who are able to download these games legitimately then not be able to connect to the internet consistently to play. At that as soon as your internet goes suddenly you feel the urger for SSFIV and are overwhelmed by the inability to play as Adon?

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46  Edited By xpgamer7

When will companies learn restrictions shouldn't be the answer to piracy.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By beforet

It's nice to see companies wising up to how much these intrusive DRMs hurt their games. In other news: the use of ellipses in the title fills me with much, much nerd rage.

raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By raikoh05
    @EveretteScott said:
    @Saga said:

cool

What a pointless comment.  I'm glad Capcom did this, good move.
    what a pointless comment.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sickVisionz

I guess this is good news, but are there really hardcore PC gamers who don't have the internet at their house?  To me that's sounds as oxymoronic as a guy with a 7.1 sound system and a 60" HDTV who only has a VCR.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @sickVisionz said:
    To me that's sounds as oxymoronic as a guy with a 7.1 sound system and a 60" HDTV who only has a VCR.
    Hey! You found me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.