Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Fightpad vs fightstick

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CptChiken

Ok so im going to get this game once my exams are over and im gunna get either a fightpad or a fight stick because the 360's d-pad is complete shit. 

i just wanted to know what the benefits of a stick over a pad are and if the sticks are worth the extra bones? 
    and if i got a pad would i be at any disadvantage over a stick?

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By skrutop

I picked up a fight pad when I got Street Fighter IV because I couldn't do anything with the standard 360 controller.  I like it, but I haven't used a stick so I can't really compare.  I will say that the pad has one advantage over the stick; I don't feel bad when I throw it after losing, since it's pretty cheap.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scullinator

I think for me the advantage with the stick is using all your fingers to hit the buttons instead of just your thumb.  Charge characters I think are easier to use with the stick as well. 

lemon__fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lemon__fresh

The fightstick will take you farther if you decide to get serious with the game. You can also easily and quickly(no soldering) swap the parts for arcade quality ones. The only drawback is a higher initial learning curve. I would also try using the analog stick instead of pad on the 360, it's wayyyyy more accurate.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

If you're planning on playing the game for a long time and dedicating yourself to getting better then you should definitely get a fightstick.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By newmarcom

Pad vs. Stick always boils down to personal preference. There a pro pad players that can throw down with the best stick players out there. The only time you would want to invest in a stick is if you want to transfer your skills to an arcade machine.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Necrotrophic

the pad is good, poor build quality.
    the stick will take about a month of training mode, but its generally better

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AniMoney

Pads are for women.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptChiken
    @Necrotrophic:
    but why is the stick better?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @newmarcom said:
    " Pad vs. Stick always boils down to personal preference. There a pro pad players that can throw down with the best stick players out there. The only time you would want to invest in a stick is if you want to transfer your skills to an arcade machine. "
    This. The only reason I want to start learning on my fightstick is so I can play at arcades, not because I feel I'll be better then if I used a fightpad or 360 controller.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pessh

Pads are dodgy, won't last you.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By gosukiller
    @AniMoney said:

" Pads are for women. "

You'd think women would like Sticks as well.
    lemon__fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lemon__fresh
    @Scooper said:
    " @newmarcom said:
    " Pad vs. Stick always boils down to personal preference. There a pro pad players that can throw down with the best stick players out there. The only time you would want to invest in a stick is if you want to transfer your skills to an arcade machine. "
    This. The only reason I want to start learning on my fightstick is so I can play at arcades, not because I feel I'll be better then if I used a fightpad or 360 controller. "

Do you play "mantis" style on pad(hit buttons with fingers instead of thumb)? Cause if you do you might as well be using a stick and if you don't I dunno how the hell you are getting dual button presses to happen consistently with a thumb.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar

There are Pro pad players around so anybody that says you can do shit on a stick and can't on a pad just isn't trying hard enough. But for me I go stick because its just more comfortable to rest my hands of something than grip a tiny controller even if the D pad is good. 

lemon__fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lemon__fresh

I think the point here is that it's generally harder to do more complex shit on a pad compared to a stick(once you get over the initial learning curve).

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Aljosa15

FightStick, no question.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By gla55jAw

I never used a stick before SFIV. I started on the 360 controller, then went to a stick. I was terrible at the stick for a while but eventually you get used to it and you start to like it. I also like the Fightpad as well.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MikeFightNight

I perfer my PS3 pad over all of the above. I can pull off any move 99% of the time..

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper
    @lemon__fresh said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @newmarcom said:
    This. The only reason I want to start learning on my fightstick is so I can play at arcades, not because I feel I'll be better then if I used a fightpad or 360 controller. "
     Do you play "mantis" style on pad(hit buttons with fingers instead of thumb)? Cause if you do you might as well be using a stick and if you don't I dunno how the hell you are getting dual button presses to happen consistently with a thumb. "
    Nope, I press the 4 face buttons with my thumb (lp, mp, lk, mk) and use both my index fingers for the triggers and RB/LB and Triggers (RB is hk, LB is hp, left trigger is Px3 and Right trigger Kx3). I can easily press my thumb over Y & B for focus and X & A for throw. At first that made it differcult to do FADC's and stuff but I feel that pressing Y & B with my thumb is perfectaly fine and can pull off FADC's 100% now in training mode and the % goes down slightly depending on how pressured I am to do it, but I think everyone gets that, no matter what they use.

The thing is I've got to buy a new 360 controller soon becuase the thumbstick has worn away on 1 edge from doing soo many fireball motions from the 1P side so the thumbstick is about to snap, lmao.

But yeah, I only want to use a stick to play at arcades or if I'm playing the PS3 version because the stick is the same no matter where you play it. Will hopefully be going down to London at some point soon to play in the arcades where the biggest British SFIV names and communities go to so I'm forced to learn the stick if I wanna hang out there.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By AndrewJD
    @MikeFightNight said:
    " I perfer my PS3 pad over all of the above. I can pull off any move 99% of the time.. "
    Same here. Btw, have we played? Pretty sure I've seen your name pop up in the tournaments and stuff but can't recall.

If not I'll add you 2morrow.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By lordofultima

Just preference. Chances are if you've never used a stick, you're better off without one.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MikeFightNight

We might of, but i'm not sure. 

either way my PSN is MikeFightNight, we should have a friendly bout some time;)    

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Luke
    @CptChiken:  It really is a personal preference... but either way it's way better than the 360 controller. 

I say that if you want to try the pad first, since it's cheaper, than do that.  If you later find yourself with some extra cash to burn, then you can invest in a stick. 

I'm a hardcore stick user myself, but having both is never a bad thing.  I actually have 2 FightSticks and 1 FightPad.  The FightPad is great for 2D games as well, like say for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and/or Mega Man 9 & 10.  
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite like the dualshock for SF, but stick is still better 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptChiken: I've been trying to use a stick for a while now and I'll say this: the learning curve is fucking steep. Chaining combos etc. can be a pain for a while, especially if you try and factor in charges. I'm sure once I get there it'll be worth it, but my execution still isn't as good as it was with a pad. 
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Necrotrophic
    @CptChiken said:
    " @Necrotrophic: but why is the stick better? "
    better build quality
    better access to the buttons (u dont just use yer thumb)
    if a part breaks, you can just replace it cheaply
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CastroCasper

I am also thinking about getting either a fightpad or stick but had a question and instead of starting a new topic, do they work for other games? Mainly, can I play Game Room games with it?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jmrwacko

I just got back from watching a pretty awesome SFIV tourney at PAX East, and some of the finalists were sporting gamepads, while others played with sticks. This argument is like Wii mote versus gamecube controller for SSBB, just go with what you're more comfortable with.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sooty

Stick > Pad (show me a pad player that has won a major SFIV/ST tournament)

More accurate to control movement with your wrist and it's easier to push all 3 buttons at the same time on a stick than it is on the fightpads. 

But also it is great to be able to hop on to arcade cabs and not feel like it's totally alien. :)

"

" I perfer my PS3 pad over all of the above. I can pull off any move 99% of the time.. "

It's not about pulling off moves, it's about comfort and ease of use. It's far, far more comfortable and easy to do Vipers super jump cancels on a stick, same goes for pretty much every sort of combo in the game.

Having to wrap your hand around them triggers/R1/L1 buttons is just horrible...

Edit: That said don't go anywhere near the standard edition fightsticks, them things drop like flies. I've had two and both times buttons died after a month, fortunately I intended to mod them with sanwa parts so it wasn't really that big a deal but unless you plan on modding the standard edition I strongly advise you go for a custom stick, the tournament stick or a Hori. (tournament stick uses sanwa parts too remember!)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64
    @Scooper said:
    " @newmarcom said:
    QFT

There have been a lot of great Pad Warriors lately like Shizza.  I say go with whatever you feel more comfertable using.  But it kinda boils down to who you play as.  There is no way you can be a good Honda on a pad, but you can be a good Ryu on a pad if you practice.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @kurtdyoung:  Yeah, I was playing some Finalizer with it earlier.
    It also works well for MAME or anything else that you think might be alright with an arcade stick.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scooper
    @Ygg said:

" Stick > Pad (show me a pad player that has won a major SFIV/ST tournament)

More accurate to control movement with your wrist and it's easier to push all 3 buttons at the same time on a stick than it is on the fightpads. 

But also it is great to be able to hop on to arcade cabs and not feel like it's totally alien. :)

"

It's not about pulling off moves, it's about comfort and ease of use. It's far, far more comfortable and easy to do Vipers super jump cancels on a stick, same goes for pretty much every sort of combo in the game.  Having to wrap your hand around them triggers/R1/L1 buttons is just horrible...  Edit: That said don't go anywhere near the standard edition fightsticks, them things drop like flies. I've had two and both times buttons died after a month, fortunately I intended to mod them with sanwa parts so it wasn't really that big a deal but unless you plan on modding the standard edition I strongly advise you go for a custom stick, the tournament stick or a Hori. (tournament stick uses sanwa parts too remember!) "

Mate, don't come in here and tell everyone this schpiel. Some people are just better with a pad (or a regular controller at that, I like the thumbstick alot on the 360). Yeah, if you're playing Viper you should probably use a stick, if you're using Gen, Honda or Blanka you should definantly be using a stick but if you're playing Cammy, Ryu or Rose there is no benafit to using a stick over a pad. It simply then boils down to who is the most dedicated and who's put the most practice in that decides who's better. Personally I think the fightpad is a piece of cheap and tacky trash. I would rather use a 360 pad over it.

same goes for pretty much every sort of combo in the game.  Having to wrap your hand around them triggers/R1/L1 buttons is just horrible 

It is for you, however I'm perfectaly comfortable hitting any combination of buttons as anyone else is with their stick. At first I wasn't but I'm used to the pad and I'm very comfortable using it now. Just because you can't it doesn't make us all plebbs. In the end all these things are are different ways of imputting commands to a game. A guy that's made a cross between an Atari 2600 controller and a arcade stick could dominate in SFIV if he practiced enough and was comforable with it.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty
    @Scooper said:

" @Ygg said:

" Stick > Pad (show me a pad player that has won a major SFIV/ST tournament)

"

It's not about pulling off moves, it's about comfort and ease of use. It's far, far more comfortable and easy to do Vipers super jump cancels on a stick, same goes for pretty much every sort of combo in the game.  Having to wrap your hand around them triggers/R1/L1 buttons is just horrible...  Edit: That said don't go anywhere near the standard edition fightsticks, them things drop like flies. I've had two and both times buttons died after a month, fortunately I intended to mod them with sanwa parts so it wasn't really that big a deal but unless you plan on modding the standard edition I strongly advise you go for a custom stick, the tournament stick or a Hori. (tournament stick uses sanwa parts too remember!) "

Mate, don't come in here and tell everyone this schpiel. Some people are just better with a pad (or a regular controller at that, I like the thumbstick alot on the 360). Yeah, if you're playing Viper you should probably use a stick, if you're using Gen, Honda or Blanka you should definantly be using a stick but if you're playing Cammy, Ryu or Rose there is no benafit to using a stick over a pad. It simply then boils down to who is the most dedicated and who's put the most practice in that decides who's better. Personally I think the fightpad is a piece of cheap and tacky trash. I would rather use a 360 pad over it.

same goes for pretty much every sort of combo in the game.  Having to wrap your hand around them triggers/R1/L1 buttons is just horrible 

It is for you, however I'm perfectaly comfortable hitting any combination of buttons as anyone else is with their stick. At first I wasn't but I'm used to the pad and I'm very comfortable using it now. Just because you can't it doesn't make us all plebbs. In the end all these things are are different ways of imputting commands to a game. A guy that's made a cross between an Atari 2600 controller and a arcade stick could dominate in SFIV if he practiced enough and was comforable with it. "

Stats show there is a benefit though or we'd see more pad players winning tournaments. Only in Tekken tournies does this happen and that's because that game is way more pad friendly due to it requiring less buttons.

Of course there is a benefit even if you are playing Cammy oy Ryu, arcade sticks allow for more sensitive movement especially in the buttons (sanwa are VERY sensitive) and believe me, it helps with some combos for sure. I very much so like the sensitivity when doing Sagats cr.lk > cr.lk > cr.lp > f.tu combo. I'm surprised you use Cammy as an example though because she has some pretty strict timing on a few of her combos.

The 360 thumbstick is bad, not very accurate and it just feels odd to use an analog stick for a fighter, maybe you are better with pad but so was I at one point, I sucked when I started using a stick but now I am infinitely better with it.

Could I do a lot of the combos I can now with practice? Probably yeah but it'd be a lot harder getting them down consistently AND feeling comfortable while doing them. 

Wrapping your hands around the controller to press the 3xKick/Punch button = annoying as hell.

If people are better with a pad than an arcade stick then it's probably because they bought / tried a stick, put little effort into adjusting to it and just went back to the pad. But hey, I nearly did the same thing when I got mine.

I think I'd rather smack myself around the face than try to do Vipers fierce faint fierce combos and super jump cancels on a pad. Well really it goes for any character now, Street Fighter benefits a lot from proper arcade stick use and this shows when you consider that pretty much every top SFIV / Super Turbo player is using an arcade stick. It's for a reason.

It just baffles me that people can claim it's personal preference when no pad players have won tournaments or even gotten that high in any of them. (including the likes of Evo)

Anyway that's enough for me in this thread, too much stick talk. I'm out.
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vade

Pad murders my thumb, stick for life. Regarding Cammy, I would assume a stick helps with high level stuff like option selecting ultra into TKCS and stuff like that. TKCS in general seems somewhat more reliable and you can spam it better on a stick, imo. Rose who benefits from plinking seems like a stick character too.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By animateria

I love the stick, since it's easier to execute Ultras. The left bumper for KKK just ruins my thumb motions and always makes me do an EX or a Super instead.

Besides there's something very gratifying hearing those button presses on a stick, especially when it's the last execution you make in a given round.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.