Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

How did it get to this and why do I have a fighting stick?

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By capt_ventris

I have a confession to make. I am a fighting game tragic. Now what I mean by the term tragic is that I spectate, speculate and eulogies about all forms of fighting games. I never miss an EVO or an Fight Club video and I have several of Gootecks fighting guides on the ipod. However, and this is a very large however, I am absoultly no good at any of them. In Super Street Fighter IV (SSFIV) I can barely Hadouken, in Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (MVC3) the choice of teams overwhelms me and in Mortal Kombat... well I am unsure of my failing there as I live in Australia.

Anyway after a weekend of watching this years EVO tournament I have decided that it is time I readdress this situation. Why now after several years of inaction? In part it might have something to do with watching an 8 year old dominate in MVC3 (You can see that here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQu-wS7isfU) or that I have now financially committed myself in a massive way, more on that later, or perhaps this weekend more then ever I saw everything that I love about the genre on display and decided that it is time for me to get busy with it.

Now having decided to get involved, the question is "which game to play?". First off Mortal Kombat is out. I am no way inclined to run up against Australian Customs, those men and women are slightly hardcore in a way that is hard to describe. So no MK for me. MVC3 looks tempting but I have found out that a new version is on the way ,of course it is Capcom, and well I do not want to shell out a $100 AUD for a now obsolete game. So that leaves only SSFIV. Damm I knew it would be that way. I say this because this is not my first attempt to 'play' Street Fighter IV. I have had the PC version since launch but was so disgusted with my feeble attempts to compete with the CPU that it has not been on my hard drive for a long time now. So I thought that if I was going to have go at this it would be on a new platform and what better way to jump in then with the recent release of the Arcade Edition for 360. $48 AUD later it had all begun again.

This was not the 'massive' financial commitment I mentioned earlier. Oh no. You see in my previous attempt to play Street Fighter I went a little...Mad....

Yep. I went there
    Yep. I went there

So $300 AUD later and I was a happy man. Three weeks later I was a sad man with a fighting stick.

Yet here I am again having spent around $400 on Street Fighter and still no where near being able to even contemplate going online and 'enjoying' the game.

But this is where it will all change. Rather then quietly try and fail to get myself playing (again), I have decided that the route of public shame shall be an added incentive to stick to it. So here we arrive at the purpose of this my first ever blog entry, fear of public humiliation. What better way to stay the course then to force one self into the public view. My goal is to document my progress with the game, hopefully every week, as I try to apply years of spectating and idle thoughts to actual combat.

Now of course any positive GB user feedback is quite welcome, as is user derision.

So here goes nothing I guess

Capt Ventris

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By capt_ventris

I have a confession to make. I am a fighting game tragic. Now what I mean by the term tragic is that I spectate, speculate and eulogies about all forms of fighting games. I never miss an EVO or an Fight Club video and I have several of Gootecks fighting guides on the ipod. However, and this is a very large however, I am absoultly no good at any of them. In Super Street Fighter IV (SSFIV) I can barely Hadouken, in Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (MVC3) the choice of teams overwhelms me and in Mortal Kombat... well I am unsure of my failing there as I live in Australia.

Anyway after a weekend of watching this years EVO tournament I have decided that it is time I readdress this situation. Why now after several years of inaction? In part it might have something to do with watching an 8 year old dominate in MVC3 (You can see that here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQu-wS7isfU) or that I have now financially committed myself in a massive way, more on that later, or perhaps this weekend more then ever I saw everything that I love about the genre on display and decided that it is time for me to get busy with it.

Now having decided to get involved, the question is "which game to play?". First off Mortal Kombat is out. I am no way inclined to run up against Australian Customs, those men and women are slightly hardcore in a way that is hard to describe. So no MK for me. MVC3 looks tempting but I have found out that a new version is on the way ,of course it is Capcom, and well I do not want to shell out a $100 AUD for a now obsolete game. So that leaves only SSFIV. Damm I knew it would be that way. I say this because this is not my first attempt to 'play' Street Fighter IV. I have had the PC version since launch but was so disgusted with my feeble attempts to compete with the CPU that it has not been on my hard drive for a long time now. So I thought that if I was going to have go at this it would be on a new platform and what better way to jump in then with the recent release of the Arcade Edition for 360. $48 AUD later it had all begun again.

This was not the 'massive' financial commitment I mentioned earlier. Oh no. You see in my previous attempt to play Street Fighter I went a little...Mad....

Yep. I went there
    Yep. I went there

So $300 AUD later and I was a happy man. Three weeks later I was a sad man with a fighting stick.

Yet here I am again having spent around $400 on Street Fighter and still no where near being able to even contemplate going online and 'enjoying' the game.

But this is where it will all change. Rather then quietly try and fail to get myself playing (again), I have decided that the route of public shame shall be an added incentive to stick to it. So here we arrive at the purpose of this my first ever blog entry, fear of public humiliation. What better way to stay the course then to force one self into the public view. My goal is to document my progress with the game, hopefully every week, as I try to apply years of spectating and idle thoughts to actual combat.

Now of course any positive GB user feedback is quite welcome, as is user derision.

So here goes nothing I guess

Capt Ventris

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ThunderSlash

Good luck on your journey to become the world's number 1 street fighter. One of the hardest parts that I've personally found out about playing a fighting game (especially online) is that you have to get used to losing a lot if you want to get better. Seriously, the people online won't give you any mercy, you'll have to develop a tolerance to losing (and hate mail/mics).

GLHB

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

Man, I know how you feel - I'm exactly the same. Every time a new fighting game comes out or there's an event I say "fuck it, this will finally be the day I break through", spend a bunch of time reading all the hot forums, watching livestreams and thinking of cool shit I could slap onto my SE stick. After a few days of getting brutally sodomized online I'm relegated back to arcade mode and lose interest shortly after.

From one tragic to another, I wish you the best of luck on your quest.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By samfo

Customs will not take mk away 8)

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Let me get you started with the first in a good tutorial series.

If you live in the Melbourne area, your in luck because that has some good players that might help you. Check out events at Couch Warriors and there is an arcade called Timeout that has 10 linked Arcade Edition units.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TechHits
    Just don't stop playing 

if you want to get better, that should be your number one rule. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I returned my fighting stick- I prefer the fightpad. I didn't grow up with arcade sticks so I honestly don't see the benefit.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar

I feel ya. But just like anything else, practice and experience counts. Unless you're naturally talented, you cannot cram learning this stuff, since what you do with your hands is akin to picking up a new musical instrument. 

r2khimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By r2khimself

Wow, I was actually having the same discussion with a friend of mine this morning. I used to play a lot of SFII back in the SNES days. I just recently purchased SSFIV for my PS3 about a week ago. I ran through a couple arcade sessions and figured my Akuma was decent enough to at least compete admirably against people online. Boy, was I wrong. After losing much more than I was winning, I became discouraged. But, you have given me hope, anew. Cheers, friend.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By NickBOTT
    One piece of advice I can give you is that if you're having a lot of trouble doing Hadoukens, why not try a charge character?  Guile, Bison, Vega, Balrog, are all quality characters that don't require being a master of quarter circle foward.  The only other advice I can give you is that you're never going to get any better by just playing the CPU.  The more you play online, the better you'll become because you'll become better experienced at fighting different people and pick up on different strategies.  The VesperArcade tutorials are amazing too so you should def check out their videos, I believe someone posted the first video already.  Good luck man!
    XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By XtremePudim

EVO will do that to you, I also decided to work on my SSF4 play after watching EVO non-stop this weekend (kinda sad I missed the day 1 pool matches). Also I ended up buying a copy of BlazBlue Continuum Shift after watching the BlazBlue finals...not really sure how that happened. That said TbirdSF4 made some really good beginner tutorials (you can find those here) that explain some basic game theory that I found really helpful.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By fang273

After power-up I bought a ps3 just to play MK9, though I stopped about a month later since I didn't like the feel of the game. Now, I'm spending $150 on a hitbox, and am gonna start playing AE and third strike online when it comes out.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By capt_ventris

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Have been putting in a few hours so far this week as different characters trying to find the "right one".

And as I do live in Melbourne I am certainly going to check out the local fighting scene.

Cheers again to everyone for the help. And see you all for next weeks update

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @TechHits said:
    Just don't stop playing   if you want to get better, that should be your number one rule. 

Pretty much this, just got to keep putting time into it.
    rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By rlhyeung

Just gotta accept that when you get into fighting games, you're going in for the long haul. These games take time. I've been playing on and off since Street Fighter IV came out in '08, and it's been more than 3 years since then, and I only finally feel like I'm getting better. I can see my improvements, yet I still have a long way to go. I also finally accepted that I will lose more than win, and that every loss will help me get better, as long as I analyze and understand why I lost. It's also a great way to help your temper and anger issues if you have any ;) 

I think to get to a competitive level it'll probably take me another 3-5 years. Of course this is based off of my own schedule, where I can't devote 12 hours a day to games. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.