Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

No sooner do I open my mouth...

ImpureAscetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ImpureAscetic

A few of you may have read my last SFIV blog, about my lady who was practicing Super Street Fighter IV to earn a trip to Key West from me. If not, uh, read it so this makes sense. 

Last weekend she hit a new plateau. We both sensed it. She worked really hard at hyper armoring through fireballs and crossovers. She stopped using Juri's jumping special when she knew I would block it... and started to nail me with it every time I threw a fireball. Don't get me wrong, I still beat her about fifty matches over the last two days, but that doesn't change the deal. The deal was three matches in a sitting. And she did that this morning, 4 September 2011.  

No Caption Provided

Were there mitigating factors? Certainly. I was hung over, and I was playing a little sloppy to boot: taunting, trying to end it with an ultra instead of just ending it. I could make a million excuses, but it doesn't change the truth: she beat me three matches in a single sitting, fair and square. For the sake of completeness I'll note I was using a regular XBox controller. As a social experiment it was a fucking stroke of brilliance. She got to bond with me doing something I love-- and she's really enjoyed getting INTO the game; we talk about it regularly and she'll bring it up with random people-- and  I got a Street Fighter opponent I can date (and, yes, I get to bond with her), and we both get a vacation to Key West.  

Well played, sweetheart. Well played.
    ImpureAscetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ImpureAscetic

A few of you may have read my last SFIV blog, about my lady who was practicing Super Street Fighter IV to earn a trip to Key West from me. If not, uh, read it so this makes sense. 

Last weekend she hit a new plateau. We both sensed it. She worked really hard at hyper armoring through fireballs and crossovers. She stopped using Juri's jumping special when she knew I would block it... and started to nail me with it every time I threw a fireball. Don't get me wrong, I still beat her about fifty matches over the last two days, but that doesn't change the deal. The deal was three matches in a sitting. And she did that this morning, 4 September 2011.  

No Caption Provided

Were there mitigating factors? Certainly. I was hung over, and I was playing a little sloppy to boot: taunting, trying to end it with an ultra instead of just ending it. I could make a million excuses, but it doesn't change the truth: she beat me three matches in a single sitting, fair and square. For the sake of completeness I'll note I was using a regular XBox controller. As a social experiment it was a fucking stroke of brilliance. She got to bond with me doing something I love-- and she's really enjoyed getting INTO the game; we talk about it regularly and she'll bring it up with random people-- and  I got a Street Fighter opponent I can date (and, yes, I get to bond with her), and we both get a vacation to Key West.  

Well played, sweetheart. Well played.
    Ub3rSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ub3rSlug

Incentivizing competition between you two was definitely a brilliant move! It's great that she actually took to playing Street Fighter instead of just giving up and accepting defeat early on. Hopefully she'll keep playing and improving her game, maybe she'll even start beating you with some consistency!

Any idea what game you're going to challenge her to try next?

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By wunder_

This is awesome! Do you think she'll keep practicing? Have fun at Key West too :3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.