Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Official Beginners Thread

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@Jambones said:
    "but I am feeling pretty cheap using just jab combo starters.  "
    As in a hit confirm? Why would that feel cheap?
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#502  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
     @Jambones: It's how we all start out. You should've seen my day one Viper. Garbage (to be honest, my current Viper is still a wannabe)

Oh and... 

@GetEveryone:  What he said; seriously, hit confirming is not bad. 

Some people complain about characters that can hit confirm like a mofo (Ryu, Balrog, Bison), but that's a vital part of the character. Some characters can't hit confirm at all though, so don't feel 'dirty'. Feel better because your character can be used at a high level. 
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#503  Edited By Jambones
    @GetEveryone: I guess I mean predictable. I am getting better and not mechanically mashing out the full combo, and either throwing or pushing my opponent out of range with a three or four jabs and a short tacked on; it makes me feel like I know what I am doing :) 

@SirOptimusPrime: I'll go read up on frame traps as well. I've heard mention of them when fighting with Cody and it's a major part of his style of play, but I know very little about it.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#504  Edited By Jambones
    @thegoldencat7: I think I caught one of those, certainly gave me a clue what to do Vs. Vega :)
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#505  Edited By Jeffsekai

Dear Ken players: What do I do when you get in on me as Blanka and you start hitting buttons. 

Love, 
    Blanka

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506  Edited By AURON570

ok is there some trick for knowing when to charge certain moves, like Balrog's TAP, Cody's Bingo punch, Fuerte's Chest bump. I'm thinking about playing around with Cody, and I see some high-level cody's do dash-in Bingo as a way of getting through fireballs. 

I'm not sure what it is about these moves, I guess I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the move comes out when I release the button (as opposed to when I press a button). 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffsekai: Block; don't electricity. Meaty cr.lk stuffs most of Blanks shenanigans and only loses to reversal ball, I think. Delayed cr.tech + cr.hp stuffs up/rainbow balls in the corner, too, so you don't want to end up there. 

@AURON570: You probably just want to have a couple of steps of a gameplan in your head and charge it appropriately. I think Cody's EX bingo takes 2 seconds to charge, so e.g. After a knock-down, you could do an empty cross up and unleash it then. Just use it to mix-up. Alternatively, it's a reasonable reversal, so it can get him out of wake-up mix-ups, since his move-set is pretty limited in that regard. After getting KD begin to charge then; don't always tech your wake-up, either.

Can't help you much with the others, but I'm sure it's similar. Balrog uses TAP to go through fireballs, so charge it if you're being zoned. That's about all I know...
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#508  Edited By AndrewJD
    @AURON570: Like GE says you just have to plan ahead. I only really play with Balrog of the characters you mentioned but I mainly hide his TAP within another attack (e.g ST HK or cr.jabs) , when I jump or when I'm focusing. You can also hide it in combos and stuff but that's trickier. 

Practising with Rog would probably be a good idea actually as you don't have to charge his TAP move like you do the other characters. It does get more powerful the longer you hold it down though!
    kojika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#509  Edited By kojika

After losing every single fight online (well, I did win one but that was against a guy who did nothing but sit in a corner and kick the air. I think his controller was broken)
    I think I am beyond the help of a few youtube tutorials so I came here.
    1) any way to resist being pushed to a corner and getting raped ?
    2) what do I do against players who use a jumping combo that hits my back ? (like Honda's "ass smash" vega wall to wall jump and grab, and such)
    3) I cannot for the life of me understand the fighting mechanics, why does an uppercut to the chin injured me when I was cruching ?
    4) does this game blocking system work like other fighting games (sc,tekken) in which blocking standing would block high and med while cruching block will duck under high, block low and get hit by med? if so how can I tell which hits are med ?
    unlike the other two this game don't make an icon appear in training that tells me low med or high.

Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#510  Edited By Frostler

I'm trying to decide whether to buy this game or not, I like fighting games and competitive games so I was wondering is it easy for a noob to get in on this or are the people online way too good now?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511  Edited By gosukiller
    @kojika:  Nr.1: Jump over people or dash under them. 
    Nr.2: You block the other way, it's called "crossing up" 

Nr.3: Hitboxes. Shoryukens start from almost the ground, so unless you are blocking, you will get hit.

To answer question number four, Street Fighter has low block, which blocks low and normal attacks, but gets hit by jumping/overhead attacks. 
    And high block, which blocks normal attacks and jumping/overhead attacks but gets hit by low attacks. 

@Frostler: This game is not easy. You will get frustrated, but if you can handle that and are diligent this game can be alot of fun. 

I was a total fighting game noob when I bought SF4, with only Killer Instinct and SF2 in my early childhood under my belt. Now I'm kinda decent. 
    TommyUnderwear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512  Edited By TommyUnderwear

Not too sure if anyone has seen this one yet a but a good strategy guide for any Ryu players.

http://crosscounter.tv/

The cross counter guide to Ryu featuring Air.  Some good bits of info in there.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Does anybody have some tips for being able to survive against people who spam shoryuken attacks? I bought the game yesterday and I have had a bit of experience with the Street Fighter games but I am still pretty bad at it :P 
    I usually use El Fuerte or Sakura

Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#514  Edited By Buttenator
    @Resident4t: If they're spamming them, then just block them and you get a free punish. Knock them down and instead of trying to attack again, walk up to them and then just block or intentionally drop your combos and block. An unsafe shoryuken is a free super or ultra.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#515  Edited By Jack268
    @Resident4t said:
    " Does anybody have some tips for being able to survive against people who spam shoryuken attacks? I bought the game yesterday and I have had a bit of experience with the Street Fighter games but I am still pretty bad at it :P  I usually use El Fuerte or Sakura "
    Don't jump. Just walk in, FADC through fireballs if you have to, and block when you're in shoryuken range. They'll go flying and you can do your combo of choice.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#516  Edited By Scooper
    @Resident4t said:
    " Does anybody have some tips for being able to survive against people who spam shoryuken attacks? I bought the game yesterday and I have had a bit of experience with the Street Fighter games but I am still pretty bad at it :P  I usually use El Fuerte or Sakura "
    Follow my instructional video I made a while ago which shows tactics to beat uppercut mashers! 

The secret trick is to block!
    Drebin008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517  Edited By Drebin008
    @Resident4t said:

one word, BLOCK.

Basically if you suspect someone is SRK mashing during your block strings or combos, just stop and hold down back, you will block their mashed/random SRK (or any other reversal for that matter) and have all the time in the world to decide how you want to punish.     just be careful as some mashers are smart and will stop mashing when they know you've caught on to it, which is where the mind games come in, EVERYONE mashes from time to time, the trick is to know when its appropriate and when its not!
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#518  Edited By davidwitten22

Anyone want to help me with this game? It's very frustrating being matched up with B players constantly and getting my ass kicked. I'm glad SSFIV has such a great match making system. I play on PSN as davidwitten22 and I'm really really bad.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519  Edited By Sarkhan
    @Drebin008 said:

@Resident4t said:

"

Does anybody have some tips for being able to survive against people who spam shoryuken attacks? I bought the game yesterday and I have had a bit of experience with the Street Fighter games but I am still pretty bad at it :P  I usually use El Fuerte or Sakura

"

one word, BLOCK.

Basically if you suspect someone is SRK mashing during your block strings or combos, just stop and hold down back.

This is all you need atm. You'r playing online. This will happen, and it will annoy you to hell and back. but yes, block. As new ppl generaly think, is that you can block low, and still block everything else.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#520  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

YO DASH BACK.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#521  Edited By JJOR64
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    YO DASH BACK.
    BLOCK DASH OH WAIT YOU CANT DO THAT
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#522  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @JJOR64 said:
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    YO DASH BACK.
    EVIL MAJICK
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#523  Edited By JJOR64
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    @JJOR64 said:
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    YO DASH BACK.
    EVIL MAJICK
    Evil Magic kill the SSF4 forums.  They are dead.   :(  HURRY UP AE!!!!!!!!!!
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#524  Edited By laserbolts

I was thinking about picking this game up today but it has been out for a long time. Is there a good matchmaking system in this? Will beginners fight beginners or will I get absolutely raped to the point that I don't want to play anymore? Sorry for bumping an old one but after evo I've been really thinking about getting into this. I know ae is out or whatever but I wanted to go with the cheaper option since I'm not sure if I will like it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#525  Edited By Sooty
    @HDTran said:

@addictedtopinescent said:

" Probably not a noob question, but what do you think of the new chars for newer players "

My analysis of the new characters based on playing it at WonderCon, game footage, initial impressions/abilities from various internet sources: 
    • Dudley - Low to mid-level execution requirement. Strings/target combos allow Dudley to be played with very little in terms of hard links. Throw in some easy and logical cancels, especially into ultra and you have a very easy character to play. He's going to be a very logical and easy to understand character to play with strength of a top-tier character (many project him to be the best in the game), so will definitely be a popular choice.
    I know this was a post based on speculation but it is kinda funny how wrong this turned out to be. :D

@laserbolts said:

I was thinking about picking this game up today but it has been out for a long time. Is there a good matchmaking system in this? Will beginners fight beginners or will I get absolutely raped to the point that I don't want to play anymore? Sorry for bumping an old one but after evo I've been really thinking about getting into this. I know ae is out or whatever but I wanted to go with the cheaper option since I'm not sure if I will like it.

Seems to be lots of new people on PC version at least. I think AE has replaced Super in stores now, if you buy Super and then upgrade to AE later I don't think it works out that much cheaper.

Can probably pick up AE second hand for $25
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#526  Edited By scarace360
    @Ygg said:
    @HDTran said:

@addictedtopinescent said:

" Probably not a noob question, but what do you think of the new chars for newer players "
    My analysis of the new characters based on playing it at WonderCon, game footage, initial impressions/abilities from various internet sources: 
    • Dudley - Low to mid-level execution requirement. Strings/target combos allow Dudley to be played with very little in terms of hard links. Throw in some easy and logical cancels, especially into ultra and you have a very easy character to play. He's going to be a very logical and easy to understand character to play with strength of a top-tier character (many project him to be the best in the game), so will definitely be a popular choice.
    I know this was a post based on speculation but it is kinda funny how wrong this turned out to be. :D
    Man those where the days when no one would know. Remember what they thought of adon!
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527  Edited By Grimluck343

Edit: Found the answer in the guide.

Isnagov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528  Edited By Isnagov

Can anyone help me with link timing? I am still finding it difficult to nail the simple #7 Trial in challenge mode. It is getting better with practice, but I was hoping there was more of a trick to it. Anyone?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#529  Edited By TechHits
    @Isnagov said:
    Can anyone help me with link timing? I am still finding it difficult to nail the simple #7 Trial in challenge mode. It is getting better with practice, but I was hoping there was more of a trick to it. Anyone?
    who's trial?
    MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#530  Edited By MrJorOwe

This seems like a good as place as any to ask. Is SSF4 a good game for someone to get into who has never played a fighting game? Also i would be playing on 360, would the d-pad be too much of an issue?

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#531  Edited By AndrewJD

@MrJorOwe: Yes the d-pad sucks on 360 but the analog stick is fine for fighting games. As for SSFIV being a good starting point I'd say you could do a lot worse. If your going to be playing online then you do need to be aware that most people have been playing since SFIV which came out almost 3 years ago, whilst others have been playing since SFII (20 years ago!) so be prepared for some beatings :)

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532  Edited By MrJorOwe

@mubress: Thank you! As for getting destroyed online I am fully aware of that, but I have a friend in the same situation as me who would also get the game if I did. Could play with him for a good bit to get a little better.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533  Edited By AndrewJD

@MrJorOwe said:

I have a friend in the same situation as me who would also get the game if I did. Could play with him for a good bit to get a little better.

Perfect, there's no better way to learn than playing someone of the same skill level.

If you decide to get it then this guide is a good place to start. It was made for SFIV but most of the basics still apply now :)

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#534  Edited By Juicebox

Yo man how do you throw those kameyameha looking things , those things are dope

how u ?

drexloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535  Edited By drexloc

Anyone want to add me and help me get the hang of things online? Would greatly appreciate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.