Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Super Street Fighter 4, I Need Advice.

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By vietthreat

I decided to come back to Super Street Fighter 4 after a long absence from the game and realized that I am now in a learning hole that is tough to get out of. I am not that big of a fighting game fan but with the recent resurgence of fighting games, I decided to give them a second try and though I don’t like them, I do enjoy playing them. When Super Street Fighter 4 came out, I played it for roughly a month with most of my play coming from the arcade mode and not online play (though I did play some online matches) but after a while found that I didn't enjoy playing the game anymore so I stopped playing it. 1 year and a couple of months after its initial release I decided to go back to it because I was bored and found that after not playing the game for a long time, I came back with the same joy that I once had for the game. This time around I decided to get more information on how to get better at SSFIV, learning how to use charge characters and general strategies about SSFIV. After feeling good about defeating higher levels of computers in the arcade mode, I decided to jump online to test my new found strengths against human players. Turns out that after a year of the game being out, the only people who are playing the game online are people who are really good. I knew this fact when I jumped online and now I have a lot of examples of good players that I can learn from but I was just wondering if there were anything I should do to get better at SSFIV or fighting games in general? Practice makes perfect is one that I know all too well now but like should I just focus on one character or learn to use them generally before sticking with one character? Any type of advice would help. 

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vietthreat

I decided to come back to Super Street Fighter 4 after a long absence from the game and realized that I am now in a learning hole that is tough to get out of. I am not that big of a fighting game fan but with the recent resurgence of fighting games, I decided to give them a second try and though I don’t like them, I do enjoy playing them. When Super Street Fighter 4 came out, I played it for roughly a month with most of my play coming from the arcade mode and not online play (though I did play some online matches) but after a while found that I didn't enjoy playing the game anymore so I stopped playing it. 1 year and a couple of months after its initial release I decided to go back to it because I was bored and found that after not playing the game for a long time, I came back with the same joy that I once had for the game. This time around I decided to get more information on how to get better at SSFIV, learning how to use charge characters and general strategies about SSFIV. After feeling good about defeating higher levels of computers in the arcade mode, I decided to jump online to test my new found strengths against human players. Turns out that after a year of the game being out, the only people who are playing the game online are people who are really good. I knew this fact when I jumped online and now I have a lot of examples of good players that I can learn from but I was just wondering if there were anything I should do to get better at SSFIV or fighting games in general? Practice makes perfect is one that I know all too well now but like should I just focus on one character or learn to use them generally before sticking with one character? Any type of advice would help. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Stop jumping
    Start turtling

Read your opponents. Learn their patterns. The truly good players won't have a readable one, but those are so rare online that when you meet one you might as well just forfeit.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Seesic
    @Jack268 said:
    " Stop jumping Start turtling Read your opponents. Learn their patterns. The truly good players won't have a readable one, but those are so rare online that when you meet one you might as well just forfeit. "
    Thats good advice. And i just started playing online earlier today, I lost a lot but managed to get my first few wins. With it set to same skill level i found about 3 people with no wins to play, its not all powerful people. And sticking with a character is what worked for me, or just find someone to spar against as practice if that's possible.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By management

I know it sound dumb but the thing you need to get better initially is to pick a character you like (don't mind if he is looked upon as scrubby) and play a lot. Go into training mode and do all of that characters special moves until you feel comfortable doing them. Arcade is not a good substitute for online, so when you are sick and tired of training mode and want to play a few rounds, don't even bother with arcade mode, it is better to lose online. After either a loss of a win you can resonate what you did either correct or wrong, and then practice doing the thing you did wrong until it sticks.
    Another thing I found helping for me was to not bother with combos and links until my execution was at a decent level. Another thing you can do is go to pages like 

http://iplaywinner.com/ 
    http://shoryuken.com/
    http://www.eventhubs.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/
    and check out some guides for your character, like what his/her anti-air is and what special moves to do in different situations. 

After you feel comfortable with all these things you can start practicing combos and various mixups. It also wouldn't hurt taking a look at the character specific challenges, you might learn something you didn't know from that as well. 

Edit : Link fail, but whatever.
    vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vietthreat
    @Management: @Robot_Sneakers: @Jack268:  Thanks for all the tips guys

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.