Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Tons of info about PC version of SSF4:AE including System Req.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

Sven posted an ass load of info about the PC version of AE.  Directly copied and pasted from HERE for your convenience.

Many of you have been asking for a version of Super Street Fighter IV for PC for a long time and I was very pleased to be able to announce it a month ago at our Captivate event in Miami. As we get closer to release, we’ve been getting a lot of questions specific to the PC. There has been a lot of thought and consideration given specifically to the PC edition and I wanted to try and share with the community as much information as possible.

What's New for PC Users

For those of you joining us recently, the PC received Street Fighter IV, but didn’t get the love of Super Street Fighter IV (sorry guys). With Arcade Edition, there’s a pretty massive leap in new content for PC owners – 14 new characters, new background stages, new replay modes, new spectator modes, bonus stages and a complete character rebalance. Basically tons of new features and content to bring the PC current with the Street Fighter scene.

Providing a better online experience

So being on PC, there are some things about SSFIV: Arcade Edition that differ from the versions on consoles.  Unlike consoles, the PC is an open platform, we never quite know the hardware configuration a player is using to run the game (or what else he may be running softwarewise at the same time). That can be a great thing or a challenge from a development standpoint.

On the one hand, someone may have super awesome Intel Core i-7 CPU goodness coupled with an Nvidia 580 GPU so they’re able to run at 1920 x 1200 or higher resolutions (higher than 1080p) with crazy levels of anti-aliasing and full stereoscopic 3D via Nvidia’s 3D Vision. Super. Big <3s to you.

On the other hand, someone may be trying to run the game on hardware that is lower powered than the required specs, or trying to run the game on decent hardware but has configured it at settings higher than his hardware can realistically maintain a solid 60 frames per second. And unfortunately, you might be trying to play online against that person. In the past with SFIV, this person would be slowing down the whole game, completely changing the input timings you’ve worked so hard to prefect (or in my case, not quite perfect) and as a result, the experience may be less than optimal.

In SSFIV:AE, we’ve implemented a couple of measures that are designed to help:

As with SFIV, there’s a benchmark that should be used by players to adjust settings to a level where they can consistently hit 60 fps.  What’s new though, is that the benchmark results will be used as one of the online matching criteria. That is to say, it will try to match players with good framerates with other players with good framerates, all other criteria being equal (and conversely it should match folks who don’t have proper settings or hardware with other folks who similarly haven’t made that point a priority). This should help to keep experiences consistent assuming enough people are in the matching pool at any particular moment.

The second part of the solution comes in the form of a new options setting that will allow players to choose “smooth” framerate, “variable” framerate or “fixed” framerate. Smooth will attempt to playback all frames but potentially at the expense of a consistent or high framerate. This is similar to how SFIV handled it. Fixed will drop frames to keep the gameplay speed and inputs consistent. Variable is a hybrid of the two modes that will sometimes drop frames where absolutely necessary to maintain the gameplay.

Before you ask, the “extra effect” in the graphics settings menu can be set to “ink”, “watercolor” and “posterization” which are similar to the extra effects SFIV had on PC.

Here’s a couple more 1920x1200 screens of the PC version to show your eyes some love (click on them to see full sizedness):

Requirements and Recommendations

So the next question is, what sort of hardware do you need? The reality is, it doesn’t take a very high spec PC to deliver a console-like experience. Look to the recommended setup for even better than a console like experience.

Minimum Requirements:

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and up
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 and up supported (operation on-board is not guaranteed)
    • Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 and up (except for NVIDIA GeForce 7300), VRAM: 256MB and up (operation sharing with main memory is not guaranteed) or ATI Radeon X1600 and up VRAM: 256MB and up.
    • Hard Drive: 4.5 GB free hard drive space
    • Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio
    • Other Requirements: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows – LIVE

Recommended Hardware: 

• Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz and up
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 and up supported (operation on-board is not guaranteed)
    • Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 and up, VRAM: 512MB and up (operation sharing with main memory is not guaranteed)
    • Hard Drive: 4.5 GB free hard drive space
    • Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

Controller Support

SSFIV: AE will support up to two Xbox 360/Games for Windows game pads and/or compatible fight sticks (e.g. Mad Catz fight sticks) out of the box. It’s been tested with both wired and wireless versions.

Additionally, all keyboard bindings, for both players, are completely remappable for keyboard players or those using non-standard controllers/Joy2Key/Xpadder. 

Games for Windows Live

In order to create an identical level of services as we’ve provided on the console, we’ve selected Games for Windows Live as the online services layer within SSFIV:AE. So the replay channels, achievements, friends lists, messaging, etc. are exactly the same as they are on Xbox Live. Before it gets asked though, no there is no cross platform matching/play.

Now, on the security side of things, SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards. To hopefully remedy that, SSFIV:AE will be making use of what is called SSA technology (similar to what we used in Dead Rising 2). Like Xbox Live, players will sign in when they launch the game. You must have a Games for Windows Live account (which is free) in order to get full access to the title.  If you already have an Xbox Live silver or gold account, those would work too and your achievements would be added/displayed in your usual gamescore.

Inevitably the question is: if you happen to temporarily lose your connection in the middle of your session (let’s say you’re working on combos in the training room or working on challenges), no problem. You’ll be able to keep doing what you’re doing until you come to a logical break point, like exiting to a menu, at which point you’ll be asked to sign back in. Assuming your PC is back online, everything will continue as it should, just like on Xbox 360.

If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

To answer a few other questions before they get asked:

There are no installation limits. The game is tied to the user account with the SSA mechanism. You can install it a zillion times and as long as you’re logged in on the associated account, you’re good to go.

Yes there is DLC supported. All of the costume packs from the console versions, going back to the original SFIV, will be made available via Games for Windows Live Marketplace. There is a caveat though: Steam users will not be using GFWL Marketplace to obtain DLC. We’ll provide more details on that wrinkle at a later date.

The GFWL services and functionality is the same regardless of whether you buy a physical disc or download via a digital delivery service. There is no other form of DRM on retail copies or most digital outlets. Steam and Impulse will be enabled to make use of their respective security solutions in addition to SSA.

But what if I don’t live in a GFWL Supported Region?

While Games for Windows Live has expanded its coverage (and I’m told, will continue to expand) it is not fully available worldwide. Many players in “unsupported countries” sign up for accounts from supported countries.

From a transactional standpoint, obviously a retailer and most (but not all) digital delivery services won’t restrict the sale of the product to you but this is definitely a buyer-beware situation. Unless you have or can get a Games for Windows Live account and you don’t live in one of the supported countries, unfortunately we don’t have a good solution for you today. We continue to work with MS on providing direction on which countries to expand to next.

What about Japan?

Now, Japan is a supported region on GFWL, however there were no plans to distribute the title in Japan at retail so it was never CERO rated.  And unfortunately, as a result our offices in Japan are not prepared to offer customer support on the game in that territory (sorry).

That said, if you are in Japan, you should be able to buy it from any of our digital partners and it should function normally provided you have a GFWL account (Japanese or otherwise). There is no geofencing turned on for GFWL supported territories. Just be aware that the level of service you would normally see from Capcom locally isn't going to be there.

So if I live Elsewhere, Where Would I Get Support?

For technical support on downloading, billing or installation, please contact the digital  distributor from where you purchased the game. For any gameplay or technical issues related to the game itself, you can use the following handy, dandy list:

• US:      (650) 350-6700 (8:30am - 5pm PST) 
    • Europe: (10am - 5pm)
      • UK                  08005876638
      • France             0800909617
      • Italy                 800928830
      • Germany         08001801976
      • Spain               900811390 
    • Korea: (02) 525-2127 (10am - 5pm)
    • Asia (excluding Japan):    (852) 2366-1001 (10am - 5pm)

Expanded Language Support

In the past, I’ve gone on a bit about how the PC is a global platform and reaches a number of territories where consoles aren’t historically as strong. To that end we’ve localized the game in many more languages than its console counterpart. Here’s the full list:

• English
    • French
    • Italian
    • German
    • Spanish
    • Japanese
    • Simplified Chinese
    • Russian
    • Polish
    • Czech
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Norwegian
    • Portuguese
    • Dutch
    • Danish
    • Korean

I’m sold! Where and when can I buy it? And how much will it be?

There will be physical retail releases in North America and Europe in early July (dates to be given a bit later but we’re trying to stay within a week or so of the console retail release) but additionally, our 20+ digital partners around the world will also be carrying the game. Folks in Korea, there will be a retail release but I'm sorry but you’re not going to be able to get it until October digitally. The SRP on the game is $39.99 (the same as the Xbox 360/PS3 disc based version). Several of our digital partners already have it up for pre-order. A few are offering “Buy 3 Copies/Get 4 Copies” offers to get your friends involved which is the “best deal” around.

So in short, I do think the PC version of SSFIV: AE is an extremely feature packed version that we hope will continue to invigorate the PC gaming fighting scene. If you get a moment, pop over to Ono-san's twitter and let him know how excited you are about it.

-C

UPDATED JUNE 02, 201

DRM BEING FIXED!!!!!!!!

Last week, when I put up a blog about all of the great new features and thoughtful PC-specific design considerations that were added to Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition PC, many folks ignored the goodness therein and zeroed in on the implementation of the offline mode and its limitations.

This in turn gave rise to threads on our boards and others, which in turn spawned stories at several web outlets lamenting our approach for protecting the content. To try and make this discussion more constructive, I engaged our fans in the Ask Capcom forum on how best to improve the situation.

The argument that legitimate users would have a worse experience than pirates was the loudest and most convincing. We certainly don’t want that to be the case and that was never our intention.

So we’ve heard you loud and clear and here’s what we’re going to do about it:

Shortly after launch (it might even be at launch, but we’ll see how submission timing and approval goes) we will roll out a small title update that will completely remove the character limitations for offline mode. That is to say, once you’ve updated, you will be able to use all 39 characters when not connected to the Internet to practice your combo timings, have some fun with a friend on a laptop, or whatever while offline.  

As one would logically expect, to get any of the benefits of the online services (online multiplayer, replay sharing/watching, achievements, etc.) you must be online and logged in.

With that hurdle hopefully now cleared, I hope that we can make Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition the most successful fighting game ever on PC.  I’d certainly like to continue to grow our audience on the largest platform in the world.

Thanks again for your passion, input and support.

/hadouken

Christian Svensson

Corporate Officer/Senior Vice-President

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

That GFWL anti-piracy stuff sounds fucking stupid. Wonder how long till it gets hacked XD.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By elyhaym

Good God, is it still using GFWL? Well that's a definite no sale then. Considered getting it on PC as well as PS3. Think I'll stick to PS3 only now.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Can't wait to get it. 
    Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

What exactly is wrong with GFWL? I've never had any problems with it and all I ever hear from other users is that it sucks. Can anyone enlighten me to why?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @Oscar__Explosion said:
    What exactly is wrong with GFWL? I've never had any problems with it and all I ever hear from other users is that it sucks. Can anyone enlighten me to why?
    Same here.  Never had issues with it in the past.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By salad10203

INB4 GFWL Sucks I will never buy how dare they support the PC.  Oh wait, too late : (

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Having 15 characters available offline is not a good idea. I sense mass piracy or low sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd0563e26314
    deactivated-5cd0563e26314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

Yup, not going to buy it except maybe if it gets on sale on Steam for less than 10 bucks now.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Awesome!!!!!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

I might grab it when it goes on sale for cheap. I have no real interest in playing much of the online with it though.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Popogeejo

I want this so much but I just tried to sign into GFWL and it wasn't having any of that which doesn't bode well. Is it just having problems right now or can I expect to wrestle with it every time I want to fail at basic combos with Juri or Guile and generally humiliate myself online?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Sometimes my laptop has no access to the internet (gasp!) and I resort to other means of entertainment. 

Playing a gimped SSF4:AE I paid good money for is not one of those forms. NO SALE CAPCOM, SUCK MY MEGA MAN.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShockD

Wow, this sucks! 

So if my Internet connection stops from time to time, I won't be able to save or to use the new characters. This is even worse than DRM!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't have games for windows live account. I can't reinstall it? Can't I just make a random offline profile or something like most GFWL games?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Was so hype and ready to buy SF4 for the 400th time and then I seen all the awful DRM stuff and as someone with a choppy internet connection FUCK THAT!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @JJOR64: you should update the OP
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64
    @Jeffsekai said:
    GOOD THINKING!!!!!!!!!
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MysteriousBob

How popular is SF on PC anyway? I'd imagine everyone who likes fighting games would... you know.. own a console. 

Oh God, that controller picture. The idea of playing SF with a keyboard makes me sick. I get horrible flashbacks to the days of DOS Mugen.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @JJOR64 said:
    @Jeffsekai said:
    GOOD THINKING!!!!!!!!!
    GET HYPE FOR THINKING
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Too bad I can't play it on my PC.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai

@ThePhantomnaut said:

BUY IT ANYWAYS

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Jeffsekai said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

BUY IT ANYWAYS

The fuck I should.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.