Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sword of the Stars: The Pit

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 22, 2013

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a turn-based RPG in the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-crawling games. Players take control of one of three characters and descend through 30 procedurally-generated levels to find the cure for a deadly plague.

Which character class did you pick first?

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By Rasgueado

Poll Which character class did you pick first? (25 votes)

Marine 48%
    Engineer 32%
    Scout 20%
     • 
    Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Even votes now, not many duders playing this. I'm liking it quite a bit though I kinda wish there was a wiki.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I ended up with marine because that one seems easiest. He gets a good amount of skills when you level up and his starting weapons are pretty decent. I will say I haven't gotten any good recipes with him because I'm not fiddling around enough and I can't hack consoles. But, I'd rather survive the fights than create recipes atm. Plus, his high mechanical skills lets me forage for guns and ammo so I'm almost never out. I'm usually in a great ammo surplus!

@zeekthegeek: It's a totally solid game and I hope they at least do a quick look of this game at some point. I love rogue-likes and this one does a lot of things right, I'm really pleased with this one.

BachoGrande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BachoGrande

I'm enjoying it quite a bit! Sword of the Stars 2 was a bit of a debacle to start with, but the developer was committed to fixing the issues. it's a nice change to see this rogue-like game as a side-story to their 4x universe.

I played as the Marine first, but the combat skills only get me so far if I can't discover more ammo crates for my weapons. Having just posted some crafting recipes, I'm gong to give the Engineer a try since the scattered junk is so plentiful.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@bachogrande: Engi is actually pretty decent with close-ranged combat early on. That revolver isn't too shabby and if you get extra ammo for it it'll decimate the early levels. If you can, try and get or make a better knife or get a blade, that'll be extremely helpful too.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Rasgueado

I was pleasantly surprised with how solid the game was as well. The one thing that seems to get me every time is hunger! Food seems to be a very scarce commodity but, I've only made 3 runs at it so far on normal. How deep has everyone gone so far?

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By poveren

I got to level 13 on normal very first try, got wiped out by unlocking a door only to have 4 large robots shoot me down in a single turn.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By rebgav

I primarily play the Scout, my first pick, though I find it's much easier to progress with the Marine.

Why isn't everybody, everywhere playing this game? It's incredible. I just had a four-hour carry run as the Marine, hit floor 13, seemed like I was very well armed and armored and had breezed through the previous few floors. It was insane. The game just kept handing me all the good gear, letting me face-roll through the levels thanks to the PBA armor and eventually the scattergun, my inventory was massively overstocked with rare(ish) items and the inventory space was hugely expanded thanks to the Pocket Tesseract and my 100+ Might stat (though obviously my dumb Marine couldn't actually make anything more complex than a sandwich or the occasional energy pack... yet), I was totally set up to smash through the mid-game without issue... and then... then I didn't immediately run away from the one OP enemy on the floor and it slaughtered me. I knew that the Von Neumann probe could destroy one item in my inventory with each hit and it really didn't matter to me that his first shot eliminated one of my laser pistols because I had so many guns and so much ammo. I did not know that the Von Neumann could take down my 300+ HP in two shots, completely ignoring my armor. That was a surprise run-ender.

I feel like I should be mad about it or frustrated at it but the run was so enjoyable and the options for avoiding such a dumb death were so many and so obvious that I'm happy with the outcome and the time spent. The game is brutally difficult most of the time so getting the occasional "easy" run thanks to favorable RNG kind of feels ominous in itself. When the game hands you an item that you know you haven't really earned yet it seems inevitable that you're going to pay for it later on. When the game won't stop giving you stuff that you shouldn't really have at that time, you just feel the inevitability ramping up - you ARE going to die horribly, it's just a question of when and where. And you'll enjoy it when it happens. You will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.