Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Franchise »

The Syndicate franchise is set in a dystopian future where mega-corporations called syndicates have altogether replaced the government, and enforce their rule with merciless, cybernetically-enhanced soldiers known as Agents.

Syndicate reboot will likely be an FPS

Avatar image for lonely_misanthrope
    Lonely_Misanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444322

So basically EA is like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs and Syndicate is his suit made out of ladies. Well, something like that.

Barf_Surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Barf_Surprise

I loved the original and it is still one of my fondest memories of early PC gaming for me. The universe and style really appealed to me back then and still does. I would enjoy playing 4 player coop in that universe very much, i don't know how they would handle the leveling up like they did in the original, but if they do it right i will be playing it for sure, perhaps a borderlands leveling up system or something similar. will be watching this for sure though

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

For heavens sake ... first X-Com now Syndicate ... why does every single game they make have to be a FPS? ... Thats starting to really annoy me.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vodun

I love me some FPS, but I have to agree this is getting silly. I will accept Syndicate as well, but after this the turning of my childhood strategy games into FPS' must end.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

There's really no reason for this turn of events.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArcLyte

well this will be good because Starbreeze is developing it. that should lay all apprehension to rest.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @2HeadedNinja said:

For heavens sake ... first X-Com now Syndicate ... why does every single game they make have to be a FPS? ... Thats starting to really annoy me.

Because it's the popular "safe" thing to go for right now. Publishers want to go with what their surveys say is the most popular genre at the moment. What a shame really. I have such fun memories from those games. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hailinel said:

There's really no reason for this turn of events.

That's ambiguous. Do you mean the game or the reaction to the game?

If it's the game, I agree. If it's the reaction, I guess that depends on whether you played the original games and how much they meant to you.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By amomjc

Soon we will see games like Monopoly, Scrabble, and Sorry! turned into FPS'!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

Old news. Very old.  

@csoup said:

Soon we will see games like Monopoly, Scrabble, and Sorry! turned into FPS'!

I would love to shoot Mr. Monopoly and win the game! 

@2HeadedNinja said:

Well, if you're talking about developers turning strategies into FPS in general, okay. But if you're not, Syndicate is being published by EA and X-COM is being published by 2K.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cincaid

Developer Starbreeze just released a press release confirming stuff.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Starbreeze Studios today announced the reinvention of Syndicate, a storied franchise at EA. Created by an all-new development team from the awarding-winning studio that brought gamers The Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness, Starbreeze Studios delivers a unique and brutal sci-fi first-person shooter experience set in a not too distant future, where business is war. Players take on the role of Miles Kilo, Eurocorp’s latest prototype agent, and embark on an epic action adventure full of corruption and revenge.

“We are excited to finally reveal what we’ve been working on the past couple years,” says Mikael Nermark, CEO of Starbreeze Studios. "It's been a great experience working with EA, and an amazing opportunity for us to use our expertise in the first person shooter and action genres to bring back, and reignite, the signature action/espionage gameplay of Syndicate.”

Set in 2069, Syndicate takes players into a dark, Machiavellian world run without government oversight with many syndicates vying for total dominance of their local market place. With no one to question their intentions or actions, three mega corporations – Eurocorp, Cayman Global, and Aspari – are at the forefront of this brutal war for control of the pivotal American market. In the world of Syndicate, everything is digitally connected, including the people. Players aren’t limited to the weapons in their hands. Through DART 6 bio-chip technology implanted in their head, players can slow down time and breach the digital world around them to take down their foes using a variety of upgradable hacking mechanics. Syndicate’s blend of fast-paced, futuristic, action shooter settings and story combined with innovative chip breach gameplay instantly immerses players in a unique digital world.

“Our goal with Syndicate is to provide a challenging action shooter for today’s gamers as well as fans of the original. I’m sure they will enjoy and recognize the legacy that made it such a classic,” says Jeff Gamon, EA Partners Executive Producer. “Fans of the franchise will recognize many weapons and environments in the game, but in a whole new way. The game also provides a separate and deep 4-player co-op mode featuring missions from the original cult classic, which adds another layer of depth to the overall experience.”

Syndicate will be available in early 2012 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and the PC. For more information on Syndicate, please visit http://www.syndicate.ea.com/.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By James_ex_machina

I really enjoyed this game. Unfortunately I never finished it. A sequel like the first game would be a welcome change from all the FPSs out there. If it good than that's great but I could use something different than FPS and sandbox games.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yinstarrunner

Once again, one of the biggest videogame publishers in the world insults the intelligence of gamers everywhere. Unfortunately, they're probably completely right to make this an FPS in todays market.

I fucking hate videogames.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Teran

@2HeadedNinja said:

They need to re-establish the brand. If these games are successful then our odds of seeing another game truer to the original goes up. I'm glad Starbreeze got Syndicate... after playing their Riddick games I think they're one of the few dev teams that I'd love to see another FPS from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.