Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

Syndicate is on sale for $3.99 on 360

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Part of this weeks deals with gold;

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Syndicate/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410923

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And it isn't on sale on PC during the Origin holiday sale. *Shakes fist in anger at EA*

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me crazy, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I think Syndicate is a bad game.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

So I've always wondered: is this game as interesting as GB makes it sound?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead: It's certainly worth the $4, but it might not be worth the time at this point. The single player stuff is fine. I didn't find it even nearly as compelling as other games with similar themes (e.g.: Deus Ex: Human Revolution), but there are some good ideas. Jeff seems to love the multiplayer, and it is neat, but I bet it'd be quite a bit harder to get a game going these days. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe there's a thriving community.

Anyway, it's another one of those coop shooter type games, this one has some cyberpunk elements. Probably nothing you haven't seen before, but most of it is well made. You probably already know if it's for you or not.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I bought it for $3.99 on PC last week. Gotta love Amazon.

WelshCleats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Follow the money

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me crazy, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I think Syndicate is a bad game.

Your crazy and probably didn't give it enough of a chance.

I think the game lives and dies by its multiplayer, and without a community then it's not the game it should have been. I blame the old school strategy game fans tbh, should have had the forsight to realize that the success of that game probably would have led to the remake/true sequel they all wanted in the first place. Syndicate 2012 was not a bad game at all

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@oursin_360: yeah I didn't touch the multiplayer at all. Played about an hour and gave up, which isn't at all like me, I start a game and I finish it. With Syndicate, I just couldn't.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@hatking: Yep the idea of all of it sounds awesome but you're probably right about the multi. I think they played some on a recent UPF (?) and were able to get into a game but who knows how common that really is.

Ultimately it does come down to time investment and I already have quite a backlog.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead: My guess is that those were community folks that joined the UPF game, but I could be wrong. I haven't played the game in a long time, maybe I'll jump in after work tonight and see how alive the multiplayer is.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

3.99 is 13.99 too expensive for Syndicate.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Woohoo always wanted to try the latest Assassins Creed game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

That is an acceptable price for a shooter that is equal parts competent and forgettable.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravey said:
    @oursin_360 said:
    @frodobaggins said:

Your crazy and probably didn't give it enough of a chance.

I think the game lives and dies by its multiplayer, and without a community then it's not the game it should have been. I blame the old school strategy game fans tbh, should have had the forsight to realize that the success of that game probably would have led to the remake/true sequel they all wanted in the first place. Syndicate 2012 was not a bad game at all

The failure of EA's Syndicate had nothing to do with fans of the original games. Starbreeze's game was in development for four years. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't especially good either, and I doubt they would've made a true sequel. Fortunately, we got Sub Rosa shortly afterwards, and Satellite Reign last year.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Naw they had a hell of a lot to do with it, every user review I remember reading was about how they should have made a remake instead of a COD clone rah rah rah. Maybe it was the vocal minority but they sure were loud, everyone i know who tried it personally enjoyed it alot. They probably should have just left the single player out entirely and just went with the left4dead/vermintide multiplayer.

Satellite reign looks great, i want to try it out but don't know how it'd work with a steam controller.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I dug this game a lot. It's clear that they wound up cutting a few hours out of the campaign (which is really short and disjointed), but what's there is still a lot of fun.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

I know it's a pretty big longshot, but I may get this in hopes this sale gets the multiplayer a little more active. At least for a week or three.

AyeAyeGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would anyone want to schedule a multiplayer thing sometime? I tried to find a match Tuesday night and it was dead.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gundogan said:

And it isn't on sale on PC during the Origin holiday sale. *Shakes fist in anger at EA*

If it was $3 on Origin I'd buy a copy for all my friends.

..that they would never play because they wouldn't want to install Origin.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate is great. Deniably undeniable.

Syndicate was unique in that it went a direction and chose not to get bogged down in stupid bullshit. For once, you aren't playing as the "GOOD GUY", they make it explicitly clear that the corporations and militarizes from around the world formed into giant conglomerates known as "SYNDICATE(S)". And that set such an impression on me. I'll never forget that part of the game where you're with Mizalik, or Mullet, or whatever his name was - the raspy voice guy - in the train. He's moving around, car to car, seat to seat, blasting these innocent bystanders in the fucking face. AND IT'S NO BIG DEAL! You are allowed! You're covered by your Syndicate!

It was great. You've got narrative freedom where you're still just a gun with arms blasting dudes in the face, but this time they can be innocent bystanders, they can be innocent researchers for a rival Syndicate who get in the way, or police or whatever. It's the same, but different. Italicized for Emphasis. Emphasis.

I mean, sure, the story got bogged down eventually when they decided this game can't just have a guy going around blasting dudes because his boss tells him. Noooooo, he's gotta have personal stakes and shit and so Rosario Dawson's character kind of pivots the story into a direction I was not comfortable with and also personally despised. They give you a choice, in the game, and they play it up like it has consequences, but it doesn't. The same thing happens for both of your decisions and I was not happy with that. I wanted to go back to being a good little soldier boy and blasting rival corps in the face. But no, I've got moralistic integrity, or some shit.

Even if the story dived into a direction that it wasn't, in my personal opinion, able to recover from, I still rate it highly at 5/5, 10/10, 100/100 whatever the best score is, because Syndicate was, the shit.

It's worth the $3.99.

Also I liked that the character was 19 in the story, which I was at the time of release, which was a day after my 19th birthday. So the stars aligned and that was kool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

@n7: That is an awesome scene. The whole first half of the game has these awesome moments when you're working for the Syndicate.

Loading Video...

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

a bargain at twice the price

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah that was awesome. Mullet just did not give a fuck.

Wish we would have gotten a sequel to that game. I understand why we didn't, but that phantom pain still lingers.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imported a PS3 copy from the UK, cause it's still banned in Australia and stuff, off of eBay for like $20 shipped, so $3.99 is a pretty rad deal for people.

Haven't played it yet, so hopefully it's at least kinda cool. Also hopefully it motivates me to finally play that copy of Syndicate Plus that I bought off of GOG like last year or the year before.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really surprised Ubisoft even bothered with a last gen port of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.