Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

Syndicate PC Black Screen

Xon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xon

Howzit,

I live in Brazil, bought Syndicate UK from gamersgate.com. Even though Europe unlocks later this week, my game unlocked 21/02. But I only get a black screen. This has never happened to me and my rig can run anything out there, so I don't think it is my system. Tried several crazy-ass solutions (xp sp 3 compat, virus switch off, run as admin) and repair install but to no avail.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Djratchet

Howdy. Welcome to the site. I can't help you with your issue, but I can help you a little. Bug Reporting is actually about reporting bugs on the site, not in individual games. Next time I would recommend posting in the related game's forum here :)

I would PM a mod to request a move... but err... I never have tried to do that before.

EDIT Yay someone did it!

WeeBee886

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By WeeBee886

@Xon: It might not be entirely black, unless your problem is different from mine. Turn up the brightness on your monitor and squint - you should be able to see the menu in the game just very slightly. Get to the graphics options. Set texture filtering all the way down and antialiasing all the way down. The game should now at least be visible and without any severe graphical glitches apart from the light bloom thing.

Needless to say, the PC release of this game is seriously messed up.

Xon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Xon

Thanks WeeBee. My big issue is that I can max-out BF3, Witcher 2, Skyrim et al. I simply have NO visuals, apart from the intro. No menu, nothing. This is the reply I got from EA. I don't think I'm going to get to play this game (my money down the drain (does it rhyme?):

Dear Dhaun,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Firstly, I appreciate your interest in Syndicate. I know how eager you have been to play the game. I respect that and assure you immediate attention.

Having viewed your mail found that you have been getting black screen when run the game. To assist you with the issue, here are the steps, please follow:

1. Right-click on blank space on the Windows Taskbar and select Task Manager.

2. Follow these steps to close unnecessary programs:

a) Click the Applications tab to view the list of active programs.

b) Click on any program listed in this window and click the End Task button.

c) Repeat the previous instructions until all programs have been closed.

3. Follow these steps to close unnecessary processes:

a) Click the Processes tab to view the list of active processes.

b) Click the User Name column header to organize the processes by login.

c) Click on any program listed next to your Windows login, other than EXPLORER.EXE and TASKMGR.EXE, then select the End Process button 4.

* Warning: Do not close any processes running under SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE 5. Repeat the previous instructions until all programs associated to your Windows Login are closed except for the following two:

* TASKMGR.EXE

* EXPLORER.EXE

Also, try clearing your temporary files:

To delete your Windows temporary files on Windows Vista:

1. Click on Start

2. Type %temp% in the search box, and then hit the Enter key.

3. Click on one of the files in the folder that just opened, and press Ctrl + A to select all of the files in this folder.

4. Press the Shift+ Delete key on your keyboard.

5. When prompted if you are sure, choose Yes.

If you receive an Error Deleting File or Folder message while the files are being deleted, it just means that one of the files is in use by a program right now. Click OK, close all open programs, and repeat the steps above. If this continues, try restarting your PC and repeating the process again.

Also, please update your video card driver.

For any help with the steps above, please do not hesitate to approach us. Alternatively, please visit our online knowledgebase here: http://help.ea.com/uk/

At Electronic Arts, we value your co-operation and efforts.

Regards,

Electronic Arts – World Wide Customer Experience.

eudaimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eudaimo
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mosdl

@eudaimo: hmm, unless your card is running really hot, I would say report the issue to AMD, they can usually help the best. It does look like a weird driver issue.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zelyre

First thing I always do...

Go to the catalyst control center. (Right click on the desktop is the easiest way to get there.)

Gaming

3d performance

Anti-aliasing: use Application settings

Anisiotropic Filtering: use Application settings.

I use AMD cards pretty much exclusively, but trying to force AA/AF in games through Catalyst is asking for trouble. Skyrim is a flashy mess of textures that pop in and out if I have catalyst force AA and AF. use the in game options.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mosdl

@Zelyre said:

First thing I always do...

Go to the catalyst control center. (Right click on the desktop is the easiest way to get there.)

Gaming

3d performance

Anti-aliasing: use Application settings

Anisiotropic Filtering: use Application settings.

I use AMD cards pretty much exclusively, but trying to force AA/AF in games through Catalyst is asking for trouble. Skyrim is a flashy mess of textures that pop in and out if I have catalyst force AA and AF. use the in game options.

The use of post processing effects will usually mess up forced AA/AF.

eudaimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eudaimo

Well, I guess it goes without saying, but crowdsourcing rules and EA Tech Support is a useless mess.

I posted my problem to the Syndicate Facebook page. A stranger messaged me with a few tips, including installing the new (uncertified) drivers for my card. Worked like a charm.

I had similarly helpful responses from many of you. They were all good advice (but just happened not to be the issue in this instance).

I'd like to share the chat I had with EA Tech support today, which should be good for a laugh.

Manish: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Manish how may I help you?
    you: Hi Manish
    you: if you are able to pull up my history of support, I am unable to get Syndicate working on my device
    you: Things I have been asked to do by other EA Advisors:
    1) Confirm that I'm up to specs
    2) disable all services and/or do a clean boot
    Manish: [REDACTED MISPELLING OF MY NAME], I sincerely regret any inconvenience caused due to this issue.
    you: I was told to check back if I wasn't able to resolve
    you: in addition, I have a youtube video of the problem if you are able to access youtube at your workstation, i can show you what is goin gon.
    Manish: May I know the exact problem that you are facing with?
    you: yes, basically i get black flickering over most of the screen. weirdly, the HUD is fine. cutscenes are fine.
    you: are you able to access youtubre?
    Manish: No.
    Manish: Thank you for contacting EA. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    you: what?
    you: you haven't offered me any advice yet
    Manish: May I know the exact problem that you are facing with?
    you: I just said "yes, basically i get black flickering over most of the screen. weirdly, the HUD is fine. cutscenes are fine."
    Manish: Are you facing that issue in the game?
    you: please direct me to another support agent.
    info: Your chat transcript will be sent to [MY E-MAIL ADDRESS] at the end of your chat session.
    Manish:
    Manish: The best way to get this information straight to our developers is through the forums.
    Manish: The Developers review the forums regularly as it is the best way to gather suggestions for the games and improvise them.
    Manish: Thank you for bringing this to our notice.
    you: Thank you.
    you: Take care.
    Xon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xon

I switched off crossfire when I loaded the game for the first time and it worked. Afterwards I switched it back on, and no problem. So I am enjoying the game, at the moment.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Stop using an 11 year old OS(WIndows XP) and update your video drivers. CHeck the system requirements for the game before you buy them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.