Do I need to know the series to enjoy this?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I barely know anything about Borderlands. Played about 10 hours of the 1st game.

Also, how does it compare to the other Telltale stuff? I've only played Walking Dead S1 and Wolf Among Us. Enjoyed both but TWAU was a bit more up my alley.

Lastly, how does it perform on PS4? Played TWAU on PS3 and it was a technical wreck. Just got worse and worse as the season went on and left a really bad taste by the end.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MezZa

Not really. If I remember right the major ideas of the series' overall story are fairly obvious. Pandora is a wasteland full of criminals and treasure hunters. Hyperion is a major corporations operating on the planet. They portray themselves as heroes but are mostly greedy corporate people. Oh and handsome Jack was their CEO who was the villain in borderlands 2. That's the only context that really matters.

It's a pretty solid tales game. Probably my favorite of the games they've made. There's some good humor in there and it's not overly serious all the time. More so than other tales games that I've seen.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

It's probably still enjoyable, but you'll be missing out on a lot. Knowing about Handsome Jack is pretty important to the story. There are also a bunch of Borderlands cameos you'll miss out on.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Not really but you'll be missing out on some of the funnier inside jokes by not knowing who certain characters are/were.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it plenty and had maybe played 10-15 hours of both Borderlands 1 & 2 combined. The characters you control are completely new, so you're not missing out on their backstories. Performance is mainly ok, though the engine can still be as janky as every Telltale game ever. I don't recall it ever getting too choppy at least.

Oh, how I wish they'd make a new season of TWAU already...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you read a plot synopsis for the 3 other games (1,2 and pre-sequel) you should be fine. Otherwise you basically just need to know that pandora is a crazy planet full of insane people, handsome jack is a masive evil psychotic jerk and vaults hold amazing treasures... As for the other characters you should be fine. The cameo's do a decent job of not relying too hard on knowing a ton about them.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have a friend who hated the Borderlands games, both gameplay and humor, but enjoyed the Tales one immensely. I'd recommend reading the story of the two first games though just to have some insight.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By finaldasa  Moderator

Nope. It does a good job placing itself within the Borderlands universe and any callbacks or mentions will probably seem like more odd characters.

I don't normally like TellTale games, they're very hit or miss for me. However, Tales was pretty great and totally worth checking out.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not played the Borderlands-games beyond an hour per game and have skipped all the dialogue in them.

I understood this game and think it is hands-down the best thing Telltale has done.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Since your questions have been thoroughly answered, I'll just chime in to bemoan the lack of news about a second season. Can Telltale just put down the Walking Dead license for, like, a second? I like those just fine, but TFTB is their best post-Jurassic Park game.

Besides, I've listened to the soundtrack to death at this point. Need more.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alex  Staff

There are definitely some in-jokes you might not get, but generally speaking, i give fuck all about the Borderlands canon/history and I enjoyed Tales plenty.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. It helps, but is not necessary. Funniest Telltale game ever.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UlquioKani

Nope. As someone who actively dislikes Borderlands and its fiction in the main games, I loved Tales.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll miss out on a couple things but overall no. You should play this game, it's Telltales best to date and is really, really good. I was so disappointed when nobody on staff played it last for last year's goty talks.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By odinsmana

I would recommend reading a plot summary of 1 and 2 just because it will give you context for some important stuff in Tales. Other than that as others have mentioned it contains a lot of in jokes and cameos, but neither is vital to enjoying the game.

Tales from the Borderlands is so good. It`s the best thing Telltale has done since Strongbad (and that`s probably just me remembering it fondly). Every time they announce a new season of something that is not Tales from the Borderlands my heart breaks.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

Thanks y'all. Just finished replaying Mass Effect and forget how much filler nonsense there is. It was quite a grind actually. Excited to switch gears and start something that'll keep it moving. Hopefully it's not as buggy and technically messy as my last Telltale experience.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

@kiwikuku: The engine is clunky in the way that most Telltale games are, but as far as bugs and technical issues go I don't remember any.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I knew absolutely nothing about Borderlands and I loved this.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

It isn't necessary, though you might get more out of it if you do with some of the jokes and a few of the characters from the mainline Borderlands games. Main things you might want to know about are the characters Handsome Jack and Athena.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can speak from experience. I played the series on a whim not knowing anything about Borderlands and totally loved it!

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lkpower said:

I can speak from experience. I played the series on a whim not knowing anything about Borderlands and totally loved it!

Same here. The characters are great regardless of your familiarity with Borderlands. It's really well done.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As others have said, maybe just look up a plot synopsis for Borderlands 1 and 2, and I guess the Pre-Sequel as well. Some of the more minor cameos are just going to be references that won't matter to you, but it's probably important that you know the broad strokes of what happened in Borderlands 2 especially, since Tales from the Borderlands is like a weird epilogue/sidestory to Borderlands 2 in a way.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

No, I would say you have to deal with the technical issues more. Playing the previous Borderlands games only enhances the game. It's not necessary.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i finished the first borderlands and couldnt tell you anything about the plot besides you search for a vault on some planet. I dont think you will miss anything as this is probably the first one where story actually matters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.