Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales from the Borderlands

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 25, 2014

A spin-off of the Borderlands series of first-person shooters, Tales from the Borderlands is an episodic adventure game where a reluctant group of civilians try to strike it rich in the hostile world of Pandora.

This game is already out...

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reviews: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2nd59c/tales_from_the_borderlands_episode_1_zer0_sum/

Why was there little to no marketing for this?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, there were trailers and stuff leading up to this. But maybe Telltale is more betting on word-of-mouth and reviews elevating it? No one was particularly hyped about TWD before the first episode came out. Similar thing happened with their Fables-thing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not sure what Borderlands is without the shooting and looting.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This game is out already?? I would have expected a Quick look or something.

Oh wait it just came out today. Still weird.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Look, I liked Pandora. But not four games worth of it. They set up the potential for a big, fun universe and we're only seeing a fraction of that, and it's hugely disappointing.

That said, I hope this game is as amazing as Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us. Prove me wrong, Telltale and Gearbox. Make me believe this is a relevant game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They did a "Surprise! It's out today!" kinda thing. As for promotion I've seen a fair few trailers for the game myself over the past few weeks, that's just me though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@brendan: The game actually had a release date attached to it maybe about a week ago on steam, before that it had just said November 2014. Telltale games have been very sneaky with release dates not revealing them until at least a week or two before it actually comes out. I for one wouldn't have known much about their past few games episodic releases without the help of Patrick and Alex informing us in the news section.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Review wise I think it is doing pretty good, I still need to go through the Walking Dead Season 2 though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

These Telltale games are becoming a chore. I may pick this up when it hits 80% off on Steam or something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mb said:

These Telltale games are becoming a chore. I may pick this up when it hits 80% off on Steam or something like that.

A chore, as in to play? Or just too many?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think I'll pass. I enjoy the Borderlands games, but certainly not for the story. Still, I'm interested to see what they do with Game of Thrones.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

@mb said:

A chore, as in to play? Or just too many?

Both

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's.....ok so far. I would personally say wait for a big sale for it before diving in.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Downloading it now. I liked Borderlands 1 a lot but fell off once Borderlands 2 came out. Still, the art style is fantastic and I think the games were, at times, pretty funny. I have faith in Telltale after The Walking Dead (yeah, both seasons) and (somewhat) The Wolf Among Us and the reviews are glaringly good so it's definitely worth a shot... I hope.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Too much DA:I to play right now, but I'll definitely pick this up when it inevitably hits the Steam holiday sale.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had a good time with the first episode and, after playing both seasons of Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, it's nice to see Telltale finally get back to their lighthearted comedic side.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatdudeguy

@meaninoflife42 said:

I had a good time with the first episode and, after playing both seasons of Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, it's nice to see Telltale finally get back to their lighthearted comedic side.

I totally agree. I've completed Borderlands 1 & 2, and dabbled with the Pre-Sequel, but wouldn't consider myself really stoked about the lore. But I had a wide grin the entire time I played the first episode. It's fun to see Telltale working in an absurd universe again, and using their more evolved storytelling abilities to tell some good jokes. It feels like a Star Wars Expanded Universe story–completely tangential to the original franchise, but really well done.

And, (minor spoiler alert): way to go, Telltale, for saving Claptrap for a later episode. I was expecting a Claptrap-fest (and I love me some Claptrap), but was pleasantly surprised that they're not playing that card yet.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just finished it. Thought it started really strong, genuinely laugh out loud funny in places.

Fatality

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I know and it seems to be doing fine because I have an issue with a physical disc TellTale sent me and their excuse for not getting back to me about it yet so far has been that they're busy because of the recent release of this game.

TellTale's CS has gotten kind of bad.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

GameSpot did a thing on this on The Lobby yesterday. Check it out after the 32-minute mark.

Avatar image for moustachewalker
    moustachewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To those that have completed the episode, is the length of the episode closer to The Walking Dead Season 1, or to The Walking Dead Season 2 / The Wolf Among Us?

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bweadcrwumbs: It's definitely not on the shorter side of telltale episodes, don't have an exact number for you but I think it took me a bit more then 2 hours start to finish? Thoroughly enjoyed it too, was getting kind of bored with the structure of their games but the humor helps quite a bit.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did Handsome Jack become fucking SHODAN?

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Yeah I kinda just woke up to news of this thing being out. If it's out on PS4 I might have to give it a try.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25 jeanluc  Staff

I dug the first episode. All the characters are charming in that asshole way and it was a surprisingly meaty episode with a lot of stuff in it. The real question is whether the rest of the episodes can keep it up.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noval said:

@bweadcrwumbs: It's definitely not on the shorter side of telltale episodes, don't have an exact number for you but I think it took me a bit more then 2 hours start to finish? Thoroughly enjoyed it too, was getting kind of bored with the structure of their games but the humor helps quite a bit.

Yeah, it was just over two for me too.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played the first episode last night and enjoyed the heck out of it, much to my surprise. I almost never find anything in games funny, but this did have a few genuine chuckles. Great voice acting, good characters, excellent music and a solid story. I would put this at #2 in my list of Telltale games, right behind The Wolf Among Us, and I have played pretty much all of them that have come out in the last 5 years or so.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the first episode last night and enjoyed the heck out of it, much to my surprise. I almost never find anything in games funny, but this did have a few genuine chuckles. Great voice acting, good characters, excellent music and a solid story. I would put this at #2 in my list of Telltale games, right behind The Wolf Among Us, and I have played pretty much all of them that have come out in the last 5 years or so.

I completely agree with this. This episode really surprised me, was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I like all of Telltale's recent stuff but the second season of Walking Dead was a step down from season one and Wolf among Us and I'm not a huge fan of most of the Borderlands humour but it works way more often than not in this format. Voice acting and music are indeed fantastic and I enjoy what they do with the narrative style and the character switching. In terms of first episodes, this might be their best one. Looking forward to the rest, hopefully they can stick to a regular schedule.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By recroulette

Fuck Shade. Hit him every chance I got. That first time he pops up got me really bad.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

That said, I hope this game is as amazing as Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us. Prove me wrong, Telltale and Gearbox. Make me believe this is a relevant game.

My brother @sgreviewryanbought me this game, and I'm quoting myself here because I need to eat crow. They DID make something pretty spectacular here. The writing is rock solid, the QTEs are actually easy to see (holy shit!), and they did a great job of pushing the story of the vault hunters forward while exploring these pretty terrific new protagonists. If the rest of the series holds up this well, I'll be one happy camper.

T0MBraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By T0MBraider

Not sure what Borderlands is without the shooting and looting.

A good game :P.......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.