Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Arise

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 09, 2021

Tales of Arise is the seventeenth title in Bandai Namco's long-running Tales of... RPG series.

New to Tales Games

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I have been loving Tales of Arise so far. I am an action RPG fan and have been loving the story so far.

My only prior experience with the Tales series has been Tales of Berseria which was enjoyable for a short time . I fell off of it due to the emptiness of the environments and I felt no motivation for combat, but I also came to it very late. My question is, if I love Tales of Arise and fell off of Tales of Berseria, are there any Tales games you think I should go back and play or do you think I should just look forward to what comes after Arise?

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly, I think much of the Tales series is kind of just your typical run-of-the-mill JRPG. I don't think a whole lot stands out, and Berseria was probably one of the better, more recent games. Vesperia, Symphonia, and Abyss are usually the ones most people seem to talk up of the older games, but personally I'm more interested in where the series goes from here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vesperia holds up really well and is one of the best, Symphonia is really good but showing it's age a little. Both have quite detailed and interesting environments and are well worth a look imo.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Vesperia, too. It's probably the closest in terms of combat feel to Arise, although there's a lot more to do/grind in terms of gear, cooking, etc.

I'm also not sure how you'd react to the story. I personally think Vesperia's story and characters are top notch, but I also quite disliked Arises' story, so your mileage may vary.

Also, if you can, I'd pick up the base version of Vesperia rather than the Definitive Edition. I'm not sure if it's even possible anymore, but I think the Definitive Edition adds things that kind of wreck the experience in a weird way - primarily the voice actors getting changed up for some scenes, but also the fact that the bonus characters are either obnoxious (Patty) or worked better when they weren't part of the main party (Flynn).

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just to add another perspective, if what drew you to Arise is the story, I'd say you're equipped for the best and worst the series has to offer. A safe bet would be to start with finding Vesperia for cheap and then branch out from there.

If the combat is ultimately what is drawing you into Arise, I'd say just sit and wait for what comes next. In my opinion, Berseria is the closest relative to Arise gameplay-wise and if you already bounced hard off that you'll either have to adapt to the 'old' style of Tales games or wait for the next one and hope it's similar to what you liked in Arise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.