Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 07, 2009

Telltale resurrects the much-loved pirate adventure franchise with Tales of Monkey Island, a five-part episodic series continuing the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, this being the first.

WTF... The Cleveland Show? + Tales of Monkey Island goodness

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

Apparently I have been living under a rock for a year or so because I was lookin around on Hulu and found some trailers for "The Cleveland Show" which is a spin off of Family Guy. I have one question to ask Seth McFarlane: "WHY?!". Honestly, why does a show even need to exist that involves Cleveland, his new "Family Guy turned black" family, and two bears as neighbors. Yeah, two freakin bears. Ohhh, I can't believe how stupid this looks. At least if they are going to do a show like this it could be original. Seriously, they are giving Cleveland a wife, a daughter, a baby (that of course talks), and a fat son. I mean come on! The characters are basically carbon copies of Peter and his family. I found a thread about this here on GB that is 11 months old and I noticed some minor differences between the more current art and the old pics. But even 11 months ago you can see the two bears living next door. How on earth does the idea to have two bears as neighbors last an entire year of planning for a show, if not more. I just don't know what else to say about this... Oh yeah I watched the extended trailer and I slightly chuckled maybe once, that was that.

Old picture:

No Caption Provided

Newer picture:

No Caption Provided

In other news, I just bought and finished the first episode of "Tales of Monkey Island" and it was awesome. Maybe not quite as funny as I had hoped throughout, but it  definitely had it's moments. The humor really picks up in the second half and towards the end in my opinion. I had such fond memories of the first couple Monkey Island games that I couldn't resist playing the new series. I thought the game had great pacing. I can sometimes get a little frustrated with games like this that involve such open ended puzzles, but I never felt that way with this first episode. I actually played it all the way through only taking one short break. It's really rare for me to just sit down and put that many consecutive hours into a game, so I guess that really says something about the games quality. I am really looking forward to the remake of the classic Monkey Island game coming out a little later. From what I have seen, it is an exact remake of the old game to the point that it lets the player switch back to the old graphic style on the fly. That just plain sounds awesome to me.

Screenshot I took as I was playing.   : P
    Screenshot I took as I was playing. : P

I will probably end up writing a review for "Tales of Monkey Island" just because I hardly ever get to write a review for a very recently released game. It kinda seems to lose the whole purpose of writing a review in the first place if the game is too old. The main reason people read reviews is to get buying advice anyways so I feel like writing late reviews takes a significant chunk out of a reviews relevance. Anyways, maybe I will play through Monkey Island again sometime soon. It really is an excellent game and if anyone is on the fence about whether or not to buy it, think about 5 months of content for a mere $35.00.

Until next time, go Guybrush!              : )

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

Apparently I have been living under a rock for a year or so because I was lookin around on Hulu and found some trailers for "The Cleveland Show" which is a spin off of Family Guy. I have one question to ask Seth McFarlane: "WHY?!". Honestly, why does a show even need to exist that involves Cleveland, his new "Family Guy turned black" family, and two bears as neighbors. Yeah, two freakin bears. Ohhh, I can't believe how stupid this looks. At least if they are going to do a show like this it could be original. Seriously, they are giving Cleveland a wife, a daughter, a baby (that of course talks), and a fat son. I mean come on! The characters are basically carbon copies of Peter and his family. I found a thread about this here on GB that is 11 months old and I noticed some minor differences between the more current art and the old pics. But even 11 months ago you can see the two bears living next door. How on earth does the idea to have two bears as neighbors last an entire year of planning for a show, if not more. I just don't know what else to say about this... Oh yeah I watched the extended trailer and I slightly chuckled maybe once, that was that.

Old picture:

No Caption Provided

Newer picture:

No Caption Provided

In other news, I just bought and finished the first episode of "Tales of Monkey Island" and it was awesome. Maybe not quite as funny as I had hoped throughout, but it  definitely had it's moments. The humor really picks up in the second half and towards the end in my opinion. I had such fond memories of the first couple Monkey Island games that I couldn't resist playing the new series. I thought the game had great pacing. I can sometimes get a little frustrated with games like this that involve such open ended puzzles, but I never felt that way with this first episode. I actually played it all the way through only taking one short break. It's really rare for me to just sit down and put that many consecutive hours into a game, so I guess that really says something about the games quality. I am really looking forward to the remake of the classic Monkey Island game coming out a little later. From what I have seen, it is an exact remake of the old game to the point that it lets the player switch back to the old graphic style on the fly. That just plain sounds awesome to me.

Screenshot I took as I was playing.   : P
    Screenshot I took as I was playing. : P

I will probably end up writing a review for "Tales of Monkey Island" just because I hardly ever get to write a review for a very recently released game. It kinda seems to lose the whole purpose of writing a review in the first place if the game is too old. The main reason people read reviews is to get buying advice anyways so I feel like writing late reviews takes a significant chunk out of a reviews relevance. Anyways, maybe I will play through Monkey Island again sometime soon. It really is an excellent game and if anyone is on the fence about whether or not to buy it, think about 5 months of content for a mere $35.00.

Until next time, go Guybrush!              : )

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Wow that's really funny about Cleavland i guess Seth does the same thing these days with Family guy American dad now this

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zabant

>looks at stereo typical British neighbours.

i'm starting to fucking hate mcfarlane, the weed episode of family guy bad enough.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Xandurson

I noticed the Cleveland Show on Fox one day and thought at least if they are going to make a spin-off show it's about a character that wouldn't get tiresome. Quagmire would get tiring really fast. Joe would just yell all the time and be limited to what he can do due to his wheelchair and Brian moving out and getting his own show, or something like that, would be kinda boring. To me the best part of Family Guy is the interactions between Stewie and Brian. They always make me laugh. But I'll probably watch the new show anyways to see if it's any good.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @GamerGeek360 said:
    " I noticed the Cleveland Show on Fox one day and thought at least if they are going to make a spin-off show it's about a character that wouldn't get tiresome. Quagmire would get tiring really fast. Joe would just yell all the time and be limited to what he can do due to his wheelchair and Brian moving out and getting his own show, or something like that, would be kinda boring. To me the best part of Family Guy is the interactions between Stewie and Brian. They always make me laugh. But I'll probably watch the new show anyways to see if it's any good. "
    I suppose I will probably watch the pilot episode too but I really don't expect to like it nearly as much as Family Guy. I also really like the Brian and Stewie confrontations because Brian was the only major character that could understand Stewie, which made for some one of a kind situations between them. Hopefully they will show up from time to time on The Cleveland Show, that could potentially be pretty funny.
    alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By alsnuts2

The Cleveland Show looks really fucking stupid but I will give it a chance.  I hated American Dad! too for the first few episodes but lately I like it more than Family Guy, I think AmDad basically the same as Family guy but with out all the pointless cut-away jokes.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's like Family Guy except they're Black. The originality behind this is mind blowing!

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Seth Macfarlane should only be allowed to have one show. I fear his attention will be spread too thin and one if not all of his shows will suffer.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By lemon360

oh man. the simpsons was awesome in its first 7 seasons or so. then they changed to compete with southpark, and southpark changed when family guy came along. american dad was a copy of fg and this is a more obvious copy. cleveland show blows :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.