Is this a good sequel?

Gold_Yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gold_Yoshi

I'm currently playing through the first one and I feel the end is in sight, so I'm giving this some funny looks as a future purchase.

When I say "is this a good sequel" I mean is this the sort of sequel that takes the story and characters in interesting new directions (like Majora's Mask, Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect 2), or is it the kind of sequel that just shrugs and feels like a blatant cash-in (like Bioshock 2, Kane & Lynch 2 and Red Faction: Armageddon)?

Thanks in advance!

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contrarian

Hard to say. It isn't just a rehash of the first game, but depending on yourself, it will be worth it or a major disappointment. It isn't up to the first game at all, but I personally found it enjoyable. Sometimes we expect to much and very little matches our expectations. It is cheap, so you won't waste your money no matter what you think of it.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phantomzxro

It's a ok to bad sequel depending on how much you love the first game. The main characters are replaced but the old cast do join up with you every now and then. But the two new mains are not that great. But yeah it feels more like a bioshock 2 type sequel then say a mass effect 2

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Its pretty disconnected from what made Tales 1 great, but its certainly enjoyable to play, and some cool story things regarding the old cast.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By NekuCTR

I couldn't get behind the Pokemon mechanic.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By drac96

I really didn't like Dawn of the New World as a sequel. It certainly doesn't feel like a blatant cash-in though. It just feels bad compared to the original Tales of Symphonia.

Gold_Yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gold_Yoshi

Ah I see... well thanks everyone for the help, I probably will pick it up once I've finished the original (and others). Only problem is the price of the PAL version of this sucker seems to have boomed over the last 6 months (£70 (~$105) for a two-year-old Wii game?!)

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Shady

Don't waste your money. It has a fucking awful story and inferior game engine especially compared to Vesperia. Hell, I'd go as far as to say that Legendia's engine was better and that game wasn't good either. If you haven't played it already, spend your money on Tales of Vesperia. If you have a 3DS and haven't played it, get Tales of the Abyss. They're way better Tales options.

As far as sequels go, let's just say I feel stupid for having looked forward to this game over Vesperia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.