Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Vesperia

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 07, 2008

Tales of Vesperia is a Japanese Role-Playing Game and the first entry in the long-running "Tales of" franchise on seventh-generation consoles.

The Vesperia-case

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Responding to the complaints of Xbox 360 players, a developer has laid bare the not so shocking truth of just how Namco was paid off by Microsoft to secure an “exclusive” release, but instead merely used the Xbox subsidy to reduce development costs on the PS3 version, which it expected to sell better.

However, Sony intervened and blackmailed them into adding massive amounts of new content if they wanted to be allowed to go ahead with the PS3 release at all…

He goes into considerable detail on his blog:

“First off, it was easier developing for the Xbox 360. This is to do with the games I was involved with, but basically if you sign an exclusive contract with Microsoft (you won’t release it on other hardware for a year or similar), they will give you a lot of cash for development.

Their support is also very fast and complete in these cases.

SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first you develop for the Xbox, reducing development costs. But the Xbox version won’t sell [in Japan], you can’t recoup even those lowered costs at all.

So they ported to the PS3, it’s cheaper as you already have the game done, but then Sony came back and told them ‘We won’t recognise it if it’s the same as the Xbox 360 version. Make sure you put in a lot of extra stuff!’

If we didn’t then they wouldn’t have let us pass their check…”

He claims that the developers all wished to produce the best possible game with this opportunity, and had no intention of deliberately putting out an incomplete game; they were instead keen to produce a version that “even Xbox 360 players could enjoy again.”

He also claims traces of later additions found in the Xbox code merely fell victim to pressures of scheduling…

He goes on to pour cold water on the notion of a DLC Xbox 360 version, saying that it could take another year to convert all the development resources back onto the Xbox, making it impossible in practical terms.

This news seems to suggest that Microsoft has been cunningly funding the development of PS3 games by allowing developers to develop cheaply on its platform, accompanied by a huge grant paid for each “exclusive” release, with the developers then cheaply porting onto the PS3, with additional features as required…

And after this theatrical twist Vesperia devs came out in an interview, that is made available in the ps3 guidebook, thanking the xbox players for their feedback, allowing a better ps3 version.

Provocative excerpts:

“Xbox 360 players often complained ‘why aren’t these parts voiced?’, so when making the PS3 version we first set about improving the voicing … As a result, the entire main scenario became fully voiced.”

“We’d be delighted if those who played the Xbox 360 version would play the PS3 version too. Of course the same goes for those playing for the first time.”

“We made a lot of changes we think Xbox 360 players would be sure to appreciate.”

“There are a lot of elements from the Xbox 360 version which were improved, so please give it a try.”

“Based on the feedback so kindly provided by Xbox 360 players, we added a lot of additional elements.”

Doubtless they are also grateful to Microsoft for subsiding the beta in the first place…

Another underhand scheme.

Here is the interview...

No Caption Provided

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Very interesting. Well I guess I need to stop buying these JRPG games for the Xbox then if they don't plan on giving me the best game.  I don't think they JRPGs sold very well on the 360 anyway, if you had bothered to notice.  Those games had the fastest price drops I've ever seen.  Shabby quality in a game equals crappy sales.

I just don't understand why they care so much for the Japanese market if they're making a game for the 360. It's kind of stupid.  Currently I could care less what sells in Japan, they don't dictate the American game market except for little children that will graduate on to a better gaming environment as they get older.

Looks like Microsoft basically paid to slow down sales on the PS3...stalling the Japanese from getting some interesting JRPGs that they would probably be glorifying had they got them last year for their precious PS3s.  Funny.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vidiot

Yup, the aspect of Sony requiring you to add more content to your PS3 port is 100% true. It's not just Japanese developers that are affected by this. Specifically: If your game was initially released on the 360, and you have taken a certain amount of time porting it over to PS3, you must add additional content that is exclusive to the PS3 version.

Immediate examples of this that come to mind are BioShock and Alone in the Dark, the latter game had it's game-play mechanics practically redone.

Multi-console releases are exempt from this due to their nature of being out on both platforms at the same time. Just be aware of this the next time you pay money for an Xbox 360 exclusive not published by Microsoft. 

So while practically all of this new content could be made as DLC, don't count on it coming out for 360.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red

Well, that's good.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Slippy
    @vidiot said:
    Just be aware of this the next time you pay money for an Xbox 360 exclusive not published by Microsoft. 

360 games published by Microsoft aren't even guaranteed exclusivity. See Ninja Gaiden II.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Mcfart

I loved Vesperia on the 360, would pay for the extra features on 360.

And to those complaining that Vesperia's a JRPG...it's quite better, with a real-time combat system instead of turn-based bullshit.

Doubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Doubt

i just bought vesperia for 360  

-_- 

but its not like i was gona buy a ps3 just for it...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mcfart said:
    " I loved Vesperia on the 360, would pay for the extra features on 360.  And to those complaining that Vesperia's a JRPG...it's quite better, with a real-time combat system instead of turn-based bullshit. "
    Turn-based doesn't automatically mean bullshit.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot
    @Slippy said:

" @vidiot said:

Just be aware of this the next time you pay money for an Xbox 360 exclusive not published by Microsoft. 
    360 games published by Microsoft aren't even guaranteed exclusivity. See Ninja Gaiden II. "
    Your right but I didn't mean 'guaranteed', I wasn't talking on absolute terms here.
    The majority of exclusive games published by Microsoft, are for the most part, exclusive.

Just be aware of Sony's business practices. Keep in mind, if you pick up a game that has stated exclusivity to the 360 platform, and hasn't stated a PS3 port yet and is not published by Microsoft...You might want to wait a bit if your a multi-console gamer. It's pretty practical.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eelcire

I'd be delighted if I could play and enjoy the extra content, but alas I do not own a PS3. Nor am I interested in buying a PS3 just to rebuy all the Xbox 360 games I already purchased. Bullshit like this makes me long for a single console future. At least there the developers/publishers can fully realize their vision of fucking over customers through DLC instead.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Mcfart said:
    " I loved Vesperia on the 360, would pay for the extra features on 360.  And to those complaining that Vesperia's a JRPG...it's quite better, with a real-time combat system instead of turn-based bullshit. "
    Turn-based doesn't automatically mean bullshit. "
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Symphony

I'm still holding off on getting a PS3 till Vesperia is released over here. Have the 360 version, love it, and looking forward to the additional content on the PS3 version. I really don't get why there seems to be this weird group of people who flaunt the fact that the 360 version was a "beta" (Sankaku Complex comes to mind, but then again it's Sankaku Complex.. so what can ya expect?). Who in their right mind wouldn't expect to see new stuff added a year after the initial release?

It'd be like whining about FFX International edition... Crap I bought FFX when it was released so I didn't get the Dark Aeons! I was practically playing a Beta! It's so unfair! Waa! Or Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, or Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance, or 3 Subsistance, or.. you get the idea. Plenty of games have seen rereleases on the same console without people claiming the first version was a beta, so it's really strange that Vesperia is being called one.

Anyways, hopefully it gets to see a western release *fingers crossed*

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eelcire
    @Symphony said:
    It'd be like whining about FFX International edition... Crap I bought FFX when it was released so I didn't get the Dark Aeons! I was practically playing a Beta! It's so unfair! Waa! Or Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, or Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance, or 3 Subsistance, or.. you get the idea. Plenty of games have seen rereleases on the same console without people claiming the first version was a beta, so it's really strange that Vesperia is being called one.  Anyways, hopefully it gets to see a western release *fingers crossed* "
    Just as you pointed out, many games get re-releases with additional content on the same system. In the case of Vesperia, not only would I need to rebuy the game, but also a console to play it on. As far as the beta comment is concerned I think it's complete rubbish. I played through Tales of Vesperia 3 times and got all the achievements available for it; it was a complete package on the 360. I'm just disappointed that in an age of DLC and add-on packs that the only way offered to me to experience new content is through a whole new console; seems like a poor way to treat your fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.