Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Have Team Fortress rewards ever influenced you?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Edited By veektarius

Poll Have Team Fortress rewards ever influenced you? (126 votes)

Yes 19%
    No 70%
    "Rooster" Cogburn 11%

I just noticed that Steam was offering Team Fortress stuff as incentive to buy Arkham Knight, though this is not the first time I've seen them offer it. It seems that while other retailers attempt to obtain exclusive content, Valve has decided it can accomplish the same objective by offering stuff in one of its only games. The thing is, that game is ancient and the stuff they offer in it is purely cosmetic and minor to boot. Now, I don't like Team Fortress, so obviously this tactic has never influenced me. But I got to thinking, does it work on anyone?

• 
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

God, no. That was would just be silly.

DOTA rewards on the other hand...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope. Although all that Total War gear from a few years back looked pretty fantastic. I was going to get it anyway though, so it was a nice bonus.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By e30bmw

It might be "old" but it's consistently one of the most played games on Steam. Not on the DOTA 2/CSGO level, but right below that.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Niceanims

Nah. Valve has kept up a good track record of making anything with unique stats being available to everyone immediately, promo or not. Cosmetics would typically become available a bit later, but who cares, they're cosmetics.

Now that's for a guy like me who doesn't give a SHIT about the in game economy. When i would make a trade that was not economically in my favor people would try and white knight for me and try to get the dude I was trading with blacklisted and VAC banned for scamming. I wish TF2's economy was more cutthroat like EVE Online's.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By 49th

Yeah, I've been playing TF2 for 6 years and that has occasionally helped convince me to buy games earlier than I probably would have otherwise. Both the Poker Night games I bought for the TF2 items, Killing Floor, and a worms game. I was interested in those games beforehand but the promos definitely helped convince me to buy. I skipped all the promos with games I knew I wouldn't ever play though.

Arkham Knight is actually the first promo items they've had for almost a year now, the previous was Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. They are doing a lot of promos for DOTA 2 though.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people take that stuff seriously. When I used to play before I made my inventory private I would have people hounding me for my items and following from match to match trying to convince me to trade with them.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, but it was always nice to get extra items I could sell to idiots on the steam market for free money :D

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to buy Fallout New Vegas and the Pip-Boy TF2 item made me get it earlier than I normally would have.

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they first started offering TF2 items from other games (i.e. Poker Night) I was way into the game and cosmetic items were actually pretty darn rare still so it was super exciting and hell yeah I bought that game and probably a couple others soon after largely to get that stuff.

In the last 4 years though..... no, not at all.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only once, and only just barely. When Deus Ex:HR came out I was already going to buy the game day one, but I was pretty hardcore into TF2 at the time and that amazing looking sniper rifle made me actually pre-order the game. It's still one of only two games I've ever pre-ordered(the other being Binding of Isaac Rebirth).

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@paulmako: because the hat I wanted was a dollar and came with some Roman starcraft thing I got it.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. But I did get a Bill's hat from L4D2. Didn't care. Never put on any of my characters. Then a fourteen year old spent 45 minutes trying to convince me to sell it to him. Naturally, I refused and put Bill's Hat on every class.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@undefined: Valve's only game?

For some reason I forgot about DOTA and I was thinking Portal 2 was too old to count.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17 gamer_152  Moderator

I've played ~220 hours of TF2. It's not a game I'm all esports about but it's something I've been really into. I think I would probably need to be more serious to care about hats and other cosmetic items though. Getting some Batman stuff for TF2 might be a nice little bonus, but it doesn't make me want to buy the game any more.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, absolutely, a ton of different times, but that was back when I was way into TF2.

When I saw it on the Arkham Knight page, though, I just fucking laughed, as if their inclusion is somehow enough of a goodwill gesture to wipe away the four months of it being completely broken and the still-$49.99 pricetag.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

That Chocobo for DOTA 2 was the only one that has even made me consider so far though I'm not on the lookout for such items.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Heeeell no.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

Just once. It helped me over the Sleeping Dogs fence I was on.

Plus side: Sleeping Dogs rules, TF2 super rules, and the bonuses ruled.

Downside: Sleeping Dogs encountered a gamecrashing bug around 30% of the way through that I never could be bothered to research and solve.

Conculsion: I'll own that.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still weirded out everything is attached to TF2 for some reason, like why include a thing in a other game most people won't have any interest in.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's never been a selling point for me, just a nice bonus. That said, I sold my Max hat that I got back when Season 3 of Sam & Max was released, for about 70 euro back in January... So that actually ended up funding The Witcher III for me. Though that was one of the first items that was sold as a pre-order bonus on steam, so I really doubt anything like that is ever gonna happen again with a TF2 item you get as a pre-order bonus.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ry_Ry

No, but I generally only buy PC games on steep discounts.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can usually sell the stuff 6 months later and recoup the price of the game.

H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but probably not in the way you're thinking. I've bought games I was going to buy anyway, got TF2 stuff, booted up TF2 one night to see it.... and well they got another 5-10$ from me. Valve is pretty smart with using cosmetics in completely free games to get you to spend money.

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrSensible

TF2 is the only game in which I've spent money for virtual goods. Thankfully, it also broke me of the habit before it got too crazy. I've probably spent a couple hundo on keys and whatnot.

However, it never led me to preorder a game that I didn't already want to preorder.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only to not play the game, steam friends came out of the woodwork about trading items and looking at my inventory for tf2 stuff I never paid attention too. i'd probably rather play team fortress 1 just so I can avoid that mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.