Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Team Fortress 2 Is Now Free-to-Play Forever

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

In a move that will likely send a few shockwaves through the comparatively crummy free-to-play online shooter market, Team Fortress 2, Valve's hilariously goofy and still-popular online-multiplayer-focused shooter, is officially free on Steam from here on out.

The announcement initially came as part of a Develop interview with TF2 project lead Robin Walker, and was later confirmed via press release late last night.

The free-to-play announcement comes as part of the massive "Über Update," which Valve describes as the biggest content update the game has received since the game's launch in 2007.

The only form of montetization TF2 will employ from now until eternity is via microtransactions. Players can purchase items from the game's store, but beyond that, the game is free, free, free.

How does all this rub you, the current, or prospective TF2 player? Free-to-play often has a bit of a filthy connotation to it, but given that this is Valve, and that TF2 is already a known quantity (an awesome known quantity, at that), it's hard to see how this could be anything but a good thing for the growth of the TF2 community at this stage of the game's lifespan.

I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

In a move that will likely send a few shockwaves through the comparatively crummy free-to-play online shooter market, Team Fortress 2, Valve's hilariously goofy and still-popular online-multiplayer-focused shooter, is officially free on Steam from here on out.

The announcement initially came as part of a Develop interview with TF2 project lead Robin Walker, and was later confirmed via press release late last night.

The free-to-play announcement comes as part of the massive "Über Update," which Valve describes as the biggest content update the game has received since the game's launch in 2007.

The only form of montetization TF2 will employ from now until eternity is via microtransactions. Players can purchase items from the game's store, but beyond that, the game is free, free, free.

How does all this rub you, the current, or prospective TF2 player? Free-to-play often has a bit of a filthy connotation to it, but given that this is Valve, and that TF2 is already a known quantity (an awesome known quantity, at that), it's hard to see how this could be anything but a good thing for the growth of the TF2 community at this stage of the game's lifespan.

I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?

MediaJunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MediaJunky

Time to get it

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Great news, glad to have an influx of new players

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ds8k

What do you mean Orange Box version? Do you mean console version? Last I checked my Orange Box version IS the Steam version.

eyequeue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By eyequeue

Ban these motherfuckers with their "first" bullshit. Please. Other than that - this is great news, and a smart way to breathe some new life into a 4 year old game.

DekuSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DekuSword

It's an amazing game, been playing since 2007.
    Only thing is that can I hope for is that VALVe can truly keep the hackers out.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By mattbodega

Who called it? I Did!

And so did everyone else. But I wrote it in a article.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By crushed

Great. Also you guys need to post up Meet the Medic, it's the best video yet.

It also sounds like Valve is fully aware of the dangers of F2P (item farming, hacker circumvention) are going to be keeping an eye on things. Things were a bit rough on the servers last night and a lot of new people had trouble figuring out how to do things like "shoot sentries" and "spy check" (and a few of the new items are going to get their usual post-update nerf in a week or so), but those are the usual new update bumps in the road.

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dapperman

@groin said:

first

people need to learn, USING the word first negates the quest....

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By comradecrash

Man I wish my laptop had more memory so I could download it right now!

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By groin

@johnnysasaki: I already have the quest.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jazz2

Next summer sale, valve actually gives you 5 bucks if you buy tf2  :p

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Poki3

If you buy anything from the in-game store, or had purchased the game before you'll have a premium account.
    You get more item slots, the ability to give items in trades (free accounts can only receive items) and better item drops and blueprints.

doonee63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By doonee63

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT 

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By Davvyk
    jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeffk38uk

I have no issue with this shift since the core game remains the same. Any weapons and cosmetic items you can buy in the mann co store you can get either by the game dropping it or by crafting. 

The only ppl complaining are those who already hate the mann co store, hats, and this weird sub set who feel betrayed and demand their 10 dollars back...for some reason.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

TF2 TNT please ^___^

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cubical

Team fortress 2 runs on toaster  if you cant fucking run this game on your PC then you are one sad person. 

My fucking intel Atom CPU machines can run all  source engine games they fucking came out in 2004 and they run all games with the unreal 3 engine since it also runs on a toster at this point.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd download the Steam version, but it's about 7000 MB. What the shit? I thought that game sizes kinda peaked during the PS1 era. Even Final Fantasy VII, a game spread across three or four discs, is only 1.5 GB. Does anybody know how to uninstall a Steam game without deleting it from your library? I want to remember that this game is free.

CrazyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrazyNinja
    @Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

I'm pretty sure they had one recently, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.
    ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By ShadowVirus

I think this is pretty cool, in fact, it's possibly the best free game ever seen as it has so many free updates. I've never bought anything from the Mann Co. shop and still racked up 60+ hours on this game. 

It would be nice if the already paid members got some sort of medal, or a hat, or a medal for a hat?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Cubical said:
    Team fortress 2 runs on toaster  if you cant fucking run this game on your PC then you are one sad person.
    Fuck you.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@CrazyNinja said:

@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

I'm pretty sure they had one recently, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

yeah there have been a few, but seeing as the new update just introduced a load of new levels and gear, as well as the free-to-play aspect making the game available to a whole new group of players, now would be a great time to run a community event :D

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zaglis

TF2 is easily the most fair F2P game ever. Hope it works out for Valve.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shabs

The best multiplayer game is now free.

When any game features a multiplayer mode, I usually think to myself, "Yeah, that seems okay I guess, but I'd rather play TF2."

Now all of those games are competing with the idea, "Yeah, it's okay, but I could pay nothing and get a better game."

Nice one Valve.

spartan1017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By spartan1017
    No Caption Provided
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @ShadowVirus said:
    I think this is pretty cool, in fact, it's possibly the best free game ever seen as it has so many free updates. I've never bought anything from the Mann Co. shop and still racked up 60+ hours on this game.  It would be nice if the already paid members got some sort of medal, or a hat, or a medal for a hat?
    They'll already have those 'Veteran' medals. I've got my 2007 one.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By MeatSim

Considering how focused this game is on microtransactions I am surprised it took this long.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm a little put off. I'm really hoping that this doesn't completely ruin one of the best game communities I've ever been witness to. I could definitely see it going DotA-style with everyone being super angry about new people being garbage.

@Cubical said:

Team fortress 2 runs on toaster if you cant fucking run this game on your PC then you are one sad person. My fucking intel Atom CPU machines can run all source engine games they fucking came out in 2004 and they run all games with the unreal 3 engine since it also runs on a toster at this point.

That's really not true at all. It may have been true when the game first launched, but after 218 updates this game is incredibly CPU intensive at this point.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DeeGee

@MysteriousBob said:

@ShadowVirus said:
    I think this is pretty cool, in fact, it's possibly the best free game ever seen as it has so many free updates. I've never bought anything from the Mann Co. shop and still racked up 60+ hours on this game. It would be nice if the already paid members got some sort of medal, or a hat, or a medal for a hat?
    They'll already have those 'Veteran' medals. I've got my 2007 one.

This just made me look at my 770 hours of TF2 and laugh. 60+ hours indeed ...

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By wrathofconn

@Video_Game_King: It says it's 7 gigabytes, but when you download it and it pulls down all the updates too, you're looking at 11 or 12 GB instead. If game sizes had peaked during the PS1 era, modern consoles wouldn't even use 8 gig DVDs, much less 25 to 50 gig Blu-ray discs.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cubical
    @Video_Game_King: Final fansty was on Cd's how is that vaild to compare they hold 650mb who cares unless it came out on 12 Cds so i can equal 7000mb .   you make no sense  you can fit  more than of those multi CD crap ps1 final fnatsy games on one dual layer DVD Disc. 

And the game will not be in your steam libary unless you pay for it free games do not get listed unless they are installed.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Claude

I love how people get so upset about someone posting "first". Did it ruin the article for you? Oh, here's a tissue, now blow.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Norusdog

queue the "I want a refund" bitching

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By djames216
    @Video_Game_King said:
    I'd download the Steam version, but it's about 7000 MB. What the shit? I thought that game sizes kinda peaked during the PS1 era. Even Final Fantasy VII, a game spread across three or four discs, is only 1.5 GB. Does anybody know how to uninstall a Steam game without deleting it from your library? I want to remember that this game is free.
    These days 7000 MB is not a lot for a typical PC game. That would comfortably fit onto one DVD.  If game sizes had peaked back in the PS1 days, we would still all be staring at shitty textures and environments with limited polygons etc.  Final Fantasy VII came on 4 CDs (NOT DVDs).  CDs typically have a capacity of around 650 MB, Dual layer DVDs have a capacity of about 8000 MB (give or take).  As for removing a Steam game - even after uninstalling a game from Steam, it still lists the game in your library but is kinda greyed out until you either re-download it or restore it from a backup.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Brendan

@MysteriousBob said:

@Cubical said:
    Team fortress 2 runs on toaster if you cant fucking run this game on your PC then you are one sad person.
    Fuck you.

The pure anger in this response made me laugh.

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By afrokola

The Steam version of TF2 is so much better than the Orange Box version, it's unbelievable. Play that, keep your Orange Box out of the light.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cubical
    @ajamafalous:  The mini intel Atom Cpu box I got as a file server runs the updated version of Team fortress 2 Just fine  on meduim settings  and the GPU I got in  it sucks, It's a low end ATI 3650 512mb i got  for $60 like 4 years ago. 

a 3rd person can play multiplayer on it if they must and we have used it to play on the same server in the same room as the 3rd PC  before with just fine results. 

and this is how small and pathetic the motherboard is on the intel atom mini desktops 

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aV3QYKlZsyY/0.jpg
    chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chan05

So this will be the first PC game i'll play since Call of Duty 4

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By mracoon

@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

Yes!! There's no new multiplayer games coming out next week so it makes perfect sense.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turbomonkey138

Giantbomb official server in Europe maybe ?

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By GozerTC
    @spartan1017 said:

Agreed!  This is cool.  I've owned the PC Orange box since I believe the Chirstmas after it came out.  TF2 has more than paid for itself over the years I've played, if it's free for all now that just means more targets for me to shoot. :)  
    Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rirse

I like to see Call of Duty try this.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @ds8k said:

What do you mean Orange Box version? Do you mean console version? Last I checked my Orange Box version IS the Steam version.

Check again
    jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jasonefmonk

Well time for me to start playing TF2. I have no idea what I'm doing. Noob invasion!

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EchoEcho

I own the 360 Orange Box collection, but haven't played a whole lot of TF2. I know at least a few people who are obsessive fans of the game on PC, though, so hey -- this is as good an excuse as any to give it a proper go.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kermoosh

damn, i bought it for 10 bucks like 2 weeks ago

fkinthecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fkinthecoffee

Only time I played TF2 was on The Orange Box on PS3 and the less said about that the better. 

Might have to check out the PC version now,  though.

Lucidforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Lucidforest

First Champions Online and now TF2! What's with all the games I already paid real pennies for going free to play! 

RAGE! 

Oh wells, good for the rest of the world.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By weirdo

@EyeQueue: There's an achievement for that here :p so there's an actual reason to post "first" in comments

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.