Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Want to get into TF2, Where is the good stuff?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't mean hats, I mean all the cool maps I see around the web, and in the steam workshop such as:

This looks cool!

My problem with TF2 is every time quick search a game mode I get the same 3 maps over and over: Fort, the one that is like a farm.. and the one that is like a factory.

In the server browser 90% is trade with valve maps, and the rest is some ugly weird orange map. Where are all the cool maps? For a game that's been in development forever the map rotation seems stale.

Thanks.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Darson

Why don't you mean hats?

Honestly, since TF2 went "F2P", it's gone down the toilet. But that isn't to say it wasn't circling the drain long before the free transition. It's a damn shame because it was a great game now clouded by people who are into hats and F2P shooters. Not to say that the F2P crowd or their games are bad, they just attract the wrong crowd to TF2, a game that honestly shouldn't be free.

I haven't played in aeons so I don't know how progressively shittier the game has become since I last played. So all I can recommend is stick with the most vanilla server you can find, if such a place exists anymore.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@donpixel said:

I don't mean hats, I mean all the cool maps I see around the web, and in the steam workshop such as:

This looks cool!

My problem with TF2 is every time quick search a game mode I get the same 3 maps over and over: Fort, the one that is like a farm.. and the one that is like a factory.

In the server browser 90% is trade with valve maps, and the rest is some ugly weird orange map. Where are all the cool maps? For a game that's been in development forever the map rotation seems stale.

Thanks.

Don't use quick search. Pull up the sever list and pick a map there.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darson: You sound angry for someone who hasn't played the game in a long ass time.
    I especially like the part that makes it sound like TF2 didn't have a shitty crowd before it went free to play.

The Free to Play model = easy kills for people like me who enjoyed that game from the first time we got into beta.

OT: the fun maps are out there somewhere obviously not on the official servers so just look around some more.
    So if you want to play more maps than the same maps everyones been playing since it first released

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten: I feel like Valve really restricts themselves with updates now, I still watch the site now and again for big stuff happening. But since the Engineer update, it's just been straight up hat updates! Every now and again you'll get a few weapons, but in two years, I could probably count the number of new weapons on one hand. As someone who never really cared about Hats when they first appeared, it got pretty draining, real fast.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp: as someone who doesn't really care about hats or weapons(I just sell the ones I can or craft them into sellable items :P) I'm fine with their updates being focused more on maps and exploits than weapons. It's cool too see all the community created stuff getting into the game still though but still.. I play the game for free and earn money by doing it. I'm fine with that :P

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@darson said:

Not to say that the F2P crowd or their games are bad, they just attract the wrong crowd to TF2, a game that honestly shouldn't be free.

So what's the right crowd?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@darson said:

Not to say that the F2P crowd or their games are bad, they just attract the wrong crowd to TF2, a game that honestly shouldn't be free.

Rich people, duh*

*Sarcasm, in case anyone was too daft to catch that

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@joshwent said:

@darson said:

Rich people, duh*

*Sarcasm, in case anyone was too daft to catch that

Pretty much this. I can understand if it's something like an MMO suddenly going F2P and the crafting economy crashing, but I can't think of any real downside to TF2 going F2P. There may be more unskilled players, but that just means more kills for you if you're good. And their server system is so open and weird that you can limit a game in pretty much anyway you want, to get rid of those jerks who want to play a great game for free.

I don't really like shooters in general and never would have played TF2, but because it went F2P i tried it, loved it, and now am a pretty badass sniper/engineer. They're making more money from it than they ever did as a boxed game, and coming out with interesting free content on a pretty regular basis. And with item drops, nothing is necessarily blocked from the player without paying. It's one of the few examples of F2P done right.

Everybody wins. The free to play "crowd" and everybody else!

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Turbine, the perfect map.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.