Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Dec 18, 2008

Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion is an updated version of Tekken 6 for arcades, which has also been ported to PS3, Xbox 360 and PSP. The home console releases have been released simply as "Tekken 6".

Tekken 6: Hands-On And A Whole Lot More

• 69 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    This fall's dual release of Tekken 6 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will include unique content that's exclusive to each version. Namco Bandai didn't come out and say that content would manifest as unique characters in the two games, but you can see that coming from a mile away (the technique having worked out well enough for the Soul Calibur series, and all). What you probably didn't see coming is a PSP release for the game, though that makes sense next to the announcement of a Soul Calibur game hitting Sony's handheld around the same timeframe.

I didn't see Tekken 6 PSP at this week's Namco Bandai press event. Instead I played the PS3 version, which--like its counterparts--is based on the arcade expansion Bloodline Rebellion and will include all of the characters who appeared in that version in Japanese arcades. As someone who's reasonably familiar with the Tekken series but isn't especially good at it, I can tell you: This definitely plays like Tekken. I tried a few rounds with Kazuya and Jin and was able to bust out all of the basic combos that I could remember with those guys. And there are nearly 40 other characters to choose from, if those two old standbys aren't your cup of tea.

The biggest but seemingly minor additions to the gameplay include a rage mode that kicks in when your health drops below 10 percent, giving you a last-ditch chance to tear up the other guy. The backgrounds are also said to be more interactive, since you can knock opponents through walls, over ledges, and so on. You can see some of that business going on in this trailer.

Tekken 6 definitely looks nice enough; a Namco rep pointed out motion blur effects that are being individually applied to each character. It's a subtle effect that seemed to enhance the smoothness of the action, which seemed to be running at a solid 60 frames per second already. Since we're still early in the PR cycle for the game, Namco wasn't talking about much else in this home version, including specifics about modes, online play, or anything of that nature. But at any rate, what you're really getting with this package is a nice-looking home version of Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion, which is probably exactly what people who are really into Tekken would want.

In the interest of turning this into a Tekken 6 mega-post, here's a ton of screenshots from the console version.

Here's character art!

I CAN'T STOP POSTING ASSETS HERE'S PSP SCREENS .

You know what? One more trailer. There's enough Tekken 6 for everyone!

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    This fall's dual release of Tekken 6 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will include unique content that's exclusive to each version. Namco Bandai didn't come out and say that content would manifest as unique characters in the two games, but you can see that coming from a mile away (the technique having worked out well enough for the Soul Calibur series, and all). What you probably didn't see coming is a PSP release for the game, though that makes sense next to the announcement of a Soul Calibur game hitting Sony's handheld around the same timeframe.

I didn't see Tekken 6 PSP at this week's Namco Bandai press event. Instead I played the PS3 version, which--like its counterparts--is based on the arcade expansion Bloodline Rebellion and will include all of the characters who appeared in that version in Japanese arcades. As someone who's reasonably familiar with the Tekken series but isn't especially good at it, I can tell you: This definitely plays like Tekken. I tried a few rounds with Kazuya and Jin and was able to bust out all of the basic combos that I could remember with those guys. And there are nearly 40 other characters to choose from, if those two old standbys aren't your cup of tea.

The biggest but seemingly minor additions to the gameplay include a rage mode that kicks in when your health drops below 10 percent, giving you a last-ditch chance to tear up the other guy. The backgrounds are also said to be more interactive, since you can knock opponents through walls, over ledges, and so on. You can see some of that business going on in this trailer.

Tekken 6 definitely looks nice enough; a Namco rep pointed out motion blur effects that are being individually applied to each character. It's a subtle effect that seemed to enhance the smoothness of the action, which seemed to be running at a solid 60 frames per second already. Since we're still early in the PR cycle for the game, Namco wasn't talking about much else in this home version, including specifics about modes, online play, or anything of that nature. But at any rate, what you're really getting with this package is a nice-looking home version of Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion, which is probably exactly what people who are really into Tekken would want.

In the interest of turning this into a Tekken 6 mega-post, here's a ton of screenshots from the console version.

Here's character art!

I CAN'T STOP POSTING ASSETS HERE'S PSP SCREENS .

You know what? One more trailer. There's enough Tekken 6 for everyone!

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By McQuinn

WWOO Tekken!

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By eclipsesis

my name is quinn

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ocdog45

I'm done with tekken. nothing changes everytime a new game comes out.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

The game actually looks good, graphically, on the PSP.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

Game looks pretty bad. Well the graphics look decent enough but it looks really ugly. Especially when combined with the "trademark" Tekken red bullshit that pops up when you hit an enemy. So corny.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By cloneslayer

never really a tekken fan but it looks alright for what its worth

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nasar7

Never been a Tekken fan but this looks good for those who are.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

Sweetness, I'll be sure to GameFly it for Xbox 360.

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By TaintedSun

This looks awful.

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gzl5000

Same game, better graphics. Borrrring.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

Those were some sweet trailers.

I really liked the last Tekken game, and some better graphics, more characters, more destructibility and a online mode are some pretty awesome additions that I'm looking forward to.

DaViCuTTeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaViCuTTeR

Looks like the same ol' shizz to me.  Tekken has always had top notch graphics, but they've been able to improve the look significantly each time.  This footage looks no better than the previous installment of the series.  It seems they've added some interactive environments, but who really cares?  Mortal Kombat put changing environments in their games over a decade ago.  It's time for something new Namco.

KaruraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaruraK

What are you guys expecting out of Tekken? Saying it's the same game; of course it's the same game! What innovations do you want in one? What do you want that will differ it from it's previous incarnations? We can say the same with about every god damn FPS or Sports game out there. And you know why? Because they stick inside their genre. You're not gonna play Halo and all of a sudden Master Chief is social linking with Nanako or something. If it's not your cup of tea, well then it's not your cup of tea.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

Are those red splotches that appear whenever you hit someone in 3D yet?

Andborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andborn

Tekken Tag was the final note of my love affair with this series. Nothing has been terribly compelling ever since.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dan_CiTi  Online

Looks like a rent, could get me back into Tekken.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm not impressed by the graphics. The destructable enviroments looks annoying, and will probably be over used. I mean why would you be fighting on top of a misshaped glass ceiling anyway?

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kimbokasteniv

Looks to be business as usual, and that's fine with me. Although, it looks as if the characters move a tad different. I expect the destructible environments to have a very small effect on game play, although the "rage mode" or whatever it was called may change things up.
    However, I do agree with others that the graphical improvements don't seem to be there. I'm sure if I go back and look at previous versions of Tekken, this looks much better, however it is not giving me that "woah" feeling off the bat like other games have been doing.
    Ah well, I am probably going to get it anyway.

Jtan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jtan21

@KaruraK
    But if Master Chief was social-linking with Nanako, how awesome would it be?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Meh.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I see they still haven't ditched that retarded looking juggling system where your opponent flies up into the air and floats there at a 45 degree angle while you beat up their feet.  *sigh*

I'll pass.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Milkman

Those red splotches or whatever make the game look like a PS2 game. Don't know why but those are just really annoying.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By REDRUN

when it comes down to it, it looks like the Dance Dance Revolution of button pressing spam all over again.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ouroboros

I think any fighting game released in the post SF4 world will be very hard to be good - SF4, like it or not, is the genre standard now and that bar is pretty high.  I am actually more excited for Blazblue, or any other 2D fighting game then this.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nettacki

I'm looking forward to it, if the arcade version was of any indication. I mean, there's a whole mess of Tekken 6 BR vids on Youtube right now, a lot of which come straight from Asia or Europe.

And BTW, I always said to myself "Never judge a game's graphics until you see them in person," which I did, and it looks even better than what screenshots can portray.

Lastly, about the people complaining about the lack of change in the gameplay: I think it's best to stay at what it is now and improve upon it through smaller adjustments, but nothing too major lest it loses its identity. Besides, you FPS/RTS/RPG fans never seem to moan about sameness in your games, so why should we fighting game fans?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By spiceninja

I cannot wait. I've been a huge Tekken fan since the first game on the PS1.

Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Valestis

Nothing really new or exciting, but c'mon, it's Tekken. And I love me some Tekken.

Cyberscar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cyberscar

Cant wait 4 this game better not let us down, we have all been waiting 2 long!

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PremierOctopus

Funny. Looks like EVERY OTHER TEKKEN GAME EVER MADE.

DondonIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DondonIcon

Is this equivalent to Halo 3?

Same gameplay but with somewhat better graphics?

I LUV YOU BRYAN FURY.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By digital_sin

Where the hell is Forrest Law?! Also Lei isn't in the screenshots? Isn't he in the game? If he's not then HELL NO! Who cares about the god damn kangaroo or the fucking panda! Jin, Bryan and Hwoarang still look badass though.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tekmojo

Tekken!

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cc23574

WOOO Tekken , I can not wait to play this!

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By raidingkvatch

I loved Tekken 2 and 3 on the Play Station, but haven't played since then, I'm interested, but don't know if it's worth getting back into it

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Love Tekken. Can't wait.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By skrutop

I love Tekken (loooove it), but I don't really like the "interactive" stages; they remind me of Mortal Kombat.  I'm still pissed at Namco's DLC policy of selling you what's already on the disc, and it sounds like they might pull the same crap.  Unless they either provide all characters for the 360 version from the get-go (or provide some console exclusive character that will actually stay exclusive) I think I'll pass.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InFamous91

the only Tekken game, i had a great experience with was (and i believe most can agree) Tekken 3.
    As long as Eddy Gordo is in Tekken 6 and this title can compete with other recent release fighting games, I'm down for Tekken 6.

Ronnock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ronnock
    There's an old saying, "don't fix what isn't broken." I believe that applies here and anyone saying that it's the "same-old-same-old," with a negative connotation has to understand that if they made any drastic changes, would you even accept it then? What if they took out everything that made it Tekken, but still placed the Tekken title on it, would it really be worth giving credit to? 

You have to understand that juggling is a part of a fighting game's design mechanics, it's in all fighting games, I would be amazed (aside from Fight Night and other boxing-like games) to be shown and or told about another fighting game that didn't apply such a mechanic. 

The only negative (or rather constructive criticism) comments I have for this game are the graphics and the sound. I believe that one article on a website that the name escapes me at the moment said the music was a bit cliche and or cheesy. It is my personal opinion that the graphics aren't up to par with fighting game standards these days. Then again I haven't seen the game in person, but if we have games like VF5 and Fight Night Round 3 (heck, even Round 4), I believe Namco doesn't have an excuse with the graphics displayed here.  Albeit, again, I haven't seen it in person, so I have no solid verdict on the graphics as of yet. 

I will be getting this though, I am a HUGE Tekken fan and I have been trying to find my niche of fighting games on this generation of consoles, and while I have and have played DBZ: Burst Limit, VF5, SCIV, and FNR3, I haven't been able to be truly entertained by any of them. However, I have not played SF4, so we'll see...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust
    Tekken, along with Soul Calibur and DOA, have always been fighters where knowing just a handful of moves are enough to get you through the game.  They're button mashers and that is why they appeal to me.  Sure, if you put the time into learning all the moves of a character you'll do well, but I'm not interested in that and I still have enough fun with my limited skill set.  I'm not sure I'll pick this up, certainly not "day one", but if there is enough other things in the game to entice me to give it a try, I might be won over.  I haven't played Tekken since 4, so this could be a nice return.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Tekken is balls.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By End_Boss

As someone mentioned earlier, the red bursts that indicate that you've hit your opponent and the lame juggling animations just don't do it for me. Street Fighter IV was the rebirth of fighting games, but from what I see here, the genre's new life won't last long.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By killdave

Why do they all seem to be "shooting fire" on each impact ??

lame

Donkeysraliens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Donkeysraliens

well...that sure does look like tekken, this franchise may have got to the point of repetition...then again, that may have happened about three games ago :) if ya ask me, they should spice things up a bit, like say...i dont know....King and Hwoarang find themselves launched into a tv world in order to stop a mass murderer from claiming another victim, now THATS original!

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By kist

jeeeeez what is it with japanese developers, they never change ANYTHING about the sequels, tekken used to good, now its just the same game EVERY time they bring a new one out!!!!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By FLStyle

@Ronnock

I used to be one of those people who would say don't fix what isn't broken. Then I played Street Fighter IV. Was Street Fighter 2 broken and need fixing? Nope. Is SFIV still better than than it, hell yeah.

Tekken 6 is merely Tekken 5 DR+ and that's why I'm very close to not buying a Tekken for the first time in the series existence.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scooper

I like the look of Bob.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Al3xand3r
    kist said:
    "jeeeeez what is it with japanese developers, they never change ANYTHING about the sequels, tekken used to good, now its just the same game EVERY time they bring a new one out!!!!"
    Wut? Lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.