Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 11, 2011

Tekken's tag-team spin-off returns for its second round, building on the game engine of Tekken 6 with a whopping 44-character roster (later updated to 59).

TTT2 was in fact at e3 this year

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cikame

Do people in america play Tekken?

I haven't seen any gaming website do coverage for it so far, you'd think the game didn't exist except for the trailers but no, there were in fact demo arcade machines on the show floor.

This is the new upcoming Tekken game, the first Tag game in 12 years, it's pretty important.

I watched all the live giant bomb broadcasts this e3 and the only time it was mentioned was when that guy from gameinformer said "who plays that shit", then everyone agreed, at one point they even named all the upcoming Tekken games... but missed Tag 2.

This is a large franchise, there are movies, there are upcoming crossover games, at least acknowledge it's existence and take a look.

I understand the entire staff grew up with street fighter and mortal kombat, but put your prejudices aside and do some game coverage please.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By TechHits

Gaint bomb didn't cover alot of games, they are a small company. However there are sites out there that did cover TTT2, it's not like that info isn't out there. 

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bearshamanbro

I agree, as a big fan I cringed a little at the Tekken dismissals as they seemed pretty ignorant but I guess I can't blame them too much as they don't really follow the fighting scene closely. I think Tekken has really suffered here in the US and has started to become irrelevant for a number of reasons.

1. The competitive scene here is focused mainly on Street Fighter and MvC and pretty entrenched in Capcom games. Also, I occasionally will watch Tekken Crash from Korea to see top level Tekken play and I gotta say that Street Fighter is just more entertaining to watch.
    2. At this point Tekken just seems a little stale. The graphics keep getting better but there are still tons of re-used things like character animations that go back multiple versions of the game. It gives the impression that each new version is just a new coat of paint and it's basically the same game. That seemed to be one of the most common complaints that I heard, that 6 was pretty much the same game as 5. From the comments I've seen, it appears like many just look at Tag2 as just Tekken6 with tagging. Hence, people covering the game just don't have many things to say about it.
    3. Tekken 6 on consoles was garbage. I think people were excited to jump back in but Namco blew it with terrible single player mode and broken online.

I hope Tekken gets more popular in the US as it seems like Tekken is the last standing pillar for 3D fighters. I like 2D fighting games, but 3D fighters offer so many more possibilities for moving the genre forward (as opposed to being rooted in the 90's). As far as Tekken's standing in the US, I think they really need to completely change it up get people back on board over here. I don't think Tag2 is the re-imagining that will achieve this (although I'll buy it day one and play the hell out of it).

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cikame

Just did a little looking around and stumbled onto Jeff's reviews for Tekken games on gamespot.

Tekken 3 - 9.9 "some of the best fighting to be found anywhere."

Tekken Tag - 9.6

Tekken 5 - 9.2 "This fighting game is even more addictive and exciting than the original Tekken"

Seems strange to me how something held in such high regards by him is never ever mentioned, defended or acknowledged, especially when apparently Tekken 3 was perfect.

One last thing, uploaded a replay on Tekken 6 yesterday, 1 minute later refreshed the replay list to find 25 replays had been added in that time on the 360, assuming more people are playing it on ps3's Tekken is still very popular.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

It's funny how you're going on about how Jeff should be defending this series when he gave Tekken 6 three stars and was pretty critical of it.

And again, Tekken still has a fanbase, but it's not in America. We've moved on, which is probably why Tekken 6 sold so poorly here.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

They are more stoked for Street Fighter x Tekken

Andyman067

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andyman067
    @iAmJohn: Tekken 6 was pretty bad. I think Jeff likes the series, it's just that T6 was a weaker entry in terms of features and online.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By damswedon

I liked Tekken 3-5 but something happened in 6 and I've stopped caring about the series.

I feel like they need to go back to basics.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By iamjohn

@Andyman067 said:

@iAmJohn: Tekken 6 was pretty bad. I think Jeff likes the series, it's just that T6 was a weaker entry in terms of features and online.

I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.