Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken

Franchise »

Tekken is a long-running 3D fighting franchise that got its start in arcades but was also an early hit on the PlayStation.

You Should Read This Rant By a Tekken Producer

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Damian

@Ghostin: Gaming and internet grew up beside each other. We can't separate them now. Asking for that ain't much different from asking for a for all the junk Harada's pointing out as unreasonable to his fans.

I don't think Harada's thinking it will stop unreasonable or childish comments outright. He's just trying to explain how it works to people who are clearly ignorant of it. It's all he can do.

That said, I don't entirely disagree. He might have done a greater service to Tekken and its fans by releasing this information in a more professional (or maybe even entertaining) way. But hey. Sometimes people snap to hasty reactions... which is kind of the whole issue.

Meh. There's no right or wrong here. But I'm glad to hear a dev break it down like this now and again. And I'm definitely glad my hobby/medium-of-choice is one where I can easily interact with the people who create it. Sure, when us gamers piss and moan we are a very unpleasant bunch, and some devs can be over-reactionary, but I'm fairly certain gaming is (mostly) better for all that interaction.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By rox360

@Ghostin said:

@AngelN7: Rant was used simply to mirror the headline. I feel the same about nearly all commentary by any developer, they should do their talking with their games.

I'm sorry, but that's insane. Open communication is one of the most important things this age of computing has brought us. If fans or customers want to know more about a product, they should have the right to ask. If the developer wants to explain, they should have the right to speak. The fact that it's possible to do on such a personal level like this is incredibly precious to everyone involved. You'd be a fool to want to take that away.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By AngelN7

@Ghostin said:

@AngelN7: Rant was used simply to mirror the headline. I feel the same about nearly all commentary by any developer, they should do their talking with their games.

So should do fans , don't like it? don't buy it , let the actual 'fans' make demands and provide feedback that make for a better game instead of listening to the very vocal minority who only care about their sometimes insane preferences.

wilhelmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By wilhelmina

I am so glad this wasn't paraphrased and I don't see anything wrong with his outburst. Fans who are often the minority make too many entitled demands.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    honeycut1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By honeycut1

Bravo!

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By TPoppaPuff

Harada is absolutely right. These "fans" he speaks of need to quit being jackasses. The voices were dreadfully shitty and clearly that comunity or subset doesn't get it, but it's the GAMEPLAY that matters, not voices.

@cikame said:

Also, "Tekken may be less relevant these days", go bury yourself. Judging by your reaction every time Tekken is brought up i'm almost sure you posted this 'news' with ill intent Patrick.

Tekken was the most popular fighting series of the late 90s or at least irrefutably on the PlayStation. Now it is like the 4th most relevent at best? Certainly well behind Street Fighter, MK, and Soul Calibur.

Maybe you should go bury yourself...

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By chrissedoff

If you care about voice acting in a Tekken game, you're weird. I don't even feel bad saying it.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Was expecting something different after reading the headline... But this was a well put explanation of reasons for not using/being able to recreate certain voice data.

...And kudos for Harada's last line!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By Jimbo

So... that's a 'no' on the voices then?

I think it's cute when people in the industry sound off at/about their customers - it just makes it easier to buy less games. Not that I was buying Tekken anyway, of course.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#111  Edited By PerfidiousSinn
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Good read, learned a little bit about development from Harada (amazing he was Forest and Marshal too).

I do think there is something specific to the Mass Effect DLC that we haven't really talked about enough. There have been lots of irrelevant comparisons made to film and television and lots said about fan entitlement usurping artistic integrity, but there is a positive way to consider the whole event. Games often have "bad" or unsatisfying ending, I'd say it's a natural difficulty of the medium. The fact that the ME3 ending drew the kind of reaction it did is largely due to the nature of its design. In a sense the Mass Effect games are just tools for players to build their own stories with. Obviously this is the "High Concept" and in practice it's more closed off than that, but, in any case: there was such a breakdown of this concept in ME3. Many people felt that the decisions they made throughout the series were not well realized in the end. This is super important! You can't feel this way about a book or a movie. The identity of a game like Mass Effect does not belong to Casey Hudson or any one writer at BioWare, no matter how hard they or EA try to market it as X: the game speaks for itself, which in turn means every player speaks for it. The artistic integrity of a game =/ artistic integrity of a book (which generally and foolishly means preserving the first printing, regardless of what the author intended, publication circumstances, etc, etc). Should the ending have been more comprehensive in the first place? Yes. Should EA not have have diluted the franchise with freemium multiplayer and tie-ins? Yes. Does changing "but not changing" the ending destroy the integrity of video games and slot them lower than all that high class bullshit everybody supposedly loves so much like Hollywood movies and page-turning garbage from the grocery store? No. Games aren't like anything else out there. They shouldn't be measured the same way. This DLC is a glorified patch. Software gets patched. Why? To fix bugs and respond to user experience. And that is art. To quote: You affect me, I affect you.

End rant.

Throat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Throat

"I believe that, before whining and complaining about everything, you need practice at taking a step back and analyzing things objectively. And also at being an adult."

lulz

RebornLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RebornLS

Itagaki laughs...(thumbs upward)

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By sub_o

Does this only happen in gaming industry ? Or have customers become more and more entitled these days ? Sounds like more spoilt kids nowadays.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#116  Edited By alistercat

Totally support what this man is saying.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#117  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@Ghostin: Seems hard to believe you give a shit about games if you don't care what the people making them have to say. Your statement that they should talk via their games is laughably naive in regards to how games work and how many people are responsible for any one game. Everybody who creates anything, whether it's a game, blog, book, movie or song has feelings about it, and sometimes they want to share those feelings, whether they are positive or not.

What are you doing here anyway? What do you want from Giantbomb? Press releases? CG trailers? Seriously, if you don't want to hear what developers think than that must kill, what, 50% of the content on this site? I come here to get real news and find out what's going on in the heads of the people who make and enjoy the things I love. Why do you come here?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#118  Edited By Y2Ken

I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with this. The man made a reasonable argument and did so clearly and concisely, covering pretty much every angle he could think of. Good on him. Also thanks for posting this Patrick, I enjoyed reading it and hadn't come across it until now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#119  Edited By Humanity

@Jimbo said:

So... that's a 'no' on the voices then? I think it's cute when people in the industry sound off at/about their customers - it just makes it easier to buy less games. Not that I was buying Tekken anyway, of course.

What? Are you kidding or.. ? What?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By cannonballbam

@RebornLS said:

Itagaki laughs...(thumbs upward)

Than he gets fired.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Tarsier

its tekken lol who gives a dang

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#122  Edited By jakob187

This man deserves a fucking Nobel Peace Prize. Well done on his part.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#123  Edited By xymox

Man, I didn't know tekken fans were so anal about stuff. Seriously. They actually ask for tekken 3 bitrates on voices? Must be a pretty fun hole to live in.

"I will be quite surprised if there are still people who still don't get it."

I will be quite surprised if people do...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like this guy.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By Nadafinga

There's something beautiful about telling your moronic vocal fans to shut the fuck up.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By matti00

Right on, dude. I'd be pissed off if I was him too.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Sil3n7

Wait. People care about Tekken?

People care about voice acting in Tekken?

Whatever.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#128  Edited By Rxanadu
    @PerfidiousSinn said:

Atlus should respond to people complaining about voice changes in Persona 4: Arena and Persona 4: Golden in a similar manner.

Hell, I'm surprised the actual voice actors haven't had this sort of rant on Twitter yet.  Could you imagine Chie's original VA just saying, "After all the shit I got for people complaining about my voice in the original, NOW you want me back?  Fuck off!"
    DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

@mrfluke: Justified? Are you kidding me video game story arc justification is just another word for fan entitlement. I'm constantly disgusted with how much people bitch and moan about what the game industry owes them, I've been a gamer since the original NES and never before the last 6 months have I been embarrassed to be one. "Gamers" currently are so petulant childish self obsessed and egocentric it's almost unbelievable, and don't get me started about how they constantly talk out of both sides of their face saying the industry is bankrupt and out of ideas one minute and then letting games that aren't some grey/brown shooter arrive stillborn on the shelves, everyone involved with the ME3 backlash was disgusting and are one of many reasons I'm currently ashamed to call myself a gamer.

MutenMiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#130  Edited By MutenMiller

Awesome rant, I love it. About time developers fought back against irrational, entitled whiners! Especially in such a reasoned, well constructed way.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Slab64

HARADA FOR PRESIDENT OF VIDEOGAMES

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#132  Edited By lordofultima

@TPoppaPuff said:

Harada is absolutely right. These "fans" he speaks of need to quit being jackasses. The voices were dreadfully shitty and clearly that comunity or subset doesn't get it, but it's the GAMEPLAY that matters, not voices.

@cikame said:

Also, "Tekken may be less relevant these days", go bury yourself. Judging by your reaction every time Tekken is brought up i'm almost sure you posted this 'news' with ill intent Patrick.

Tekken was the most popular fighting series of the late 90s or at least irrefutably on the PlayStation. Now it is like the 4th most relevent at best? Certainly well behind Street Fighter, MK, and Soul Calibur.

Maybe you should go bury yourself...

Isn't Tekken consistently the most popular arcade fighter in Japan? I'm pretty sure it is. Soul Calibur is getting next to no player support, sounds like you're the one a little out of touch. Tons of hype surrounding the console release of Tag 2 in the states, by comparison.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Beaudacious

If I was Harada I'd simply drop Tekken make a new exciting fighting game, that people other then tekken fans would buy. Then say; Fuck you, I'm never making another Tekken game again, go play Tekken 3.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#134  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@PerfidiousSinn said:

Atlus should respond to people complaining about voice changes in Persona 4: Arena and Persona 4: Golden in a similar manner.

Except they wouldn't be able to because Persona 4 is a four year old game, not a 16 year old franchise that used dramatically different software than today's.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#135  Edited By clumsyninja1

Harada, you complete ME

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#136  Edited By brownsfantb

Awesome rant. I wish it was video taped though. The video game industry needs more crazy rants like the sports and entertainment industries.

musicman1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By musicman1024

@Saganomics: I was unclear, I totally agree with it being okay to call out artists for making a product that the consumer finds terrible. Effort certainly isn't going to appease everyone, and I've found even my favorite writers/game designers have produced products leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

But It goes back to the fact that regardless of how you feel about it, it's still someone's creation, and hence deserves to be treated with respect to the fact that someone created this over many painstaking hours. It might be the worse thing you've ever experienced, but the creator should never be nagged to reach into their work of art and change things because the consumer disagrees with the way it was created.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Damn fucking right! Respect to the man. :)

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#139  Edited By Jeffsekai

Harada is the fucking man.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#140  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

That was a fun read. Thanks Tricky.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want them to not make Tekken Force mandatory for progression in the story mode, but that's just me. In any case, pretty solid read.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By umdesch4

That was a great rant, and it's good to have a rant like that when you have a good case to make. I can't see any kind of similar rant coming from anyone at Bioware over the ME3 ending though.

I never got into the crazier aspects of the ME3 ending fiasco, and I never demanded anything of Bioware. But they are no longer "entitled" to my money, so I won't be buying anything else they put out, probably ever. It would take one of the people around here who was vocal and articulate about why that ending was an abomination to say "hey, I finished their latest game, and they got it right this time", to even begin to convince me.

Entitlement, whatever.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Milkman

Harada just threw internet trolls into a volcano.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By landon

@Rxanadu said:

@PerfidiousSinn said:

Hell, I'm surprised the actual voice actors haven't had this sort of rant on Twitter yet. Could you imagine Chie's original VA just saying, "After all the shit I got for people complaining about my voice in the original, NOW you want me back? Fuck off!"

The people who complained about her voice are not the same people who want her back.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Ha! I couldn't care less about Tekken but I like this guy!

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By ProfessorK

He is truly King of Iron Fist...

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#147  Edited By wumbo3000

That was beautiful.

But, you know, whatever.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By otzlowe

I wish this sentiment was voiced more often. In fact, I wish that larger changes and more risks were taken more often in the video game industry.

To use Tekken as an example: It's awesome, but why do we need new ones anymore? If that's unreasonable, why do we need to carry-over so many elements from the past? You can just play the one that you already love so much.

It's like how everyone gets angry when a band changes its sound, even though their new sound is usually just as good. Then people turn around five years later and go, "Y'know, that album was really underrated." Video game example: FFXII. (Which then caused SE to make 13 awful. Thanks for that, bros.)

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Lunar_Aura

As long as having a voice is free, fans will abuse said voice.

All expense is at the developers end, and fans will rarely, if ever, care about production costs and whether or not something is technically feasible or profitable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.